Unit Citation for NYWG

Started by Ozzy, September 29, 2009, 08:49:04 PM

Ozzy

Hey, I heard an unconfirmed rumor that NYWG received a unit citation for it's Outstanding job during the Wing's Eval. Is there any place where I can confirm this? I tried the wing site, but there wasn't any and I tried NER, but nothing there too.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

Ask someone on wing staff?

As the rules have now been clarified, it will likely only apply to members of NY-001 anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I'm not sure I could go along on giving out a unit citation based on a eval performance alone even if you get the max score.  The reward for doing well on an eval is having a great program.  Citations should be reserved for real-world performance, not test performance. 

Ozzy

The reward of having a great program is doing well on an Eval. Not the other way around. Doing Outstanding on an eval just validates that you have a great program for your area of operations. And in order to have a great program, you have to train. And not just going to a SARex every once in a while, but to frequently 'train as you fight'. I know for at least my squadron and group, we were totally prepared for what ever they threw at us because we follow all three missions of CAP, even when ES is rarely -if ever- needed on Long Island.

Anyways, I'll talk with my squadron's DC of cadets... I believe he is part of wing staff...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

RiverAux

Six of one, half a dozen of another....

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on September 29, 2009, 08:57:53 PMAs the rules have now been clarified, it will likely only apply to members of NY-001 anyway.

Where would that rule be?

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 30, 2009, 01:54:22 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 29, 2009, 08:57:53 PMAs the rules have now been clarified, it will likely only apply to members of NY-001 anyway.

Where would that rule be?

The verbiege in the draft revision of 39-3 specifies you must be in the unit at the time of the award (which is supposed to have a PA attached with the names, etc.).  I have no idea why the new rev hasn't been published, but a clarification is also here: http://tinyurl.com/yzafkp7

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

And its also spelled out in this ICL: http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/2008_12_10_awards_87CB4A5E163E5.pdf

"l. Unit Citation Award. The Unit Citation Award ribbon may only be worn by
members assigned to the unit during any portion of the period of time shown in the
National Headquarters Personnel Action announcing the award. Individuals who join the
unit at a later date are not authorized to wear the Unit Citation Ribbon."

NYWG, as I recall, was one of several in the practice of allowing everyone in the wing to wear
a UC awarded to Wing HQ, and treating them like Army Unit citations in that anyone joining a
unit (or in this case wing) with a UC could add it to their rack themselves.

This resulted in photos of Cadet Airmen with 5 UC's before they got their Curry.

Now, if Region or NHQ decided to write the citation to specifically include everyone in the wing, that's a different story and not likely.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on September 30, 2009, 02:11:10 AMNow, if Region or NHQ decided to write the citation to specifically include everyone in the wing, that's a different story and not likely.

How exactly are you aware of how the citation was written? The only Unit Citation I have was written to include the entire wing.

Is it actually unlikely, or do you just want it to be unlikely?

Eclipse

I'm not personally not aware of anything in regards to this UC, even the original poster isn't, I'm saying they can be written that way, but its unusual.  In most cases I am aware of it was a misinterpretation of the situation;

Member 1 "Hey, did you here our wing got a UC?"
Member 2 "Cool!  We're in this wing, so we must all get to wear it."

And then member #3 is too misinformed to challenge it.

I'd say it would be even more unusual if it was tied to an eval.  We got a big "e" on our last eval and I'd say more than half the units were not represented in any way, what did they do to deserve a decoration?

Assuming they got one, its much more likely its connected to a series of good SAV's and CI's, and the eval may have been icing.  My wing just recently got one and that was specifically how it went.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pingree1492

Colorado Wing has received two Unit Citations over the last several years that were awarded to everyone in the Wing.  One National CC Unit Citation for a period of a week or so in Dec 06/Jan 07 time frame (Blizzard SAR & DR).  And it received one for the operational period of May 2008. 

It was VERY clear to everyone in the wing what the awards were for and that we were authorized to wear them.  If NYWG put in for a Unit Citation for the wing, then you should know when it is approved and eligible for wear.  It certainly won't stay a secret long once the PA comes back.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

SarDragon

In my time in CAWG, CA-000 has been awarded two UCs, and CA-001 has been awarded an additional one. That's two for the entire wing, and another just for wing HQ. WIWAC, the entire NER got a UC for some undetermined action, back in the 60s.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

It depends on how the order is written.

Following the AF model.....

Say the wing does well on an ORI....AF may award an outstanding unit to just the Wing and not the subordinate units....or it could award it to the wing and include the subordinate units.

Either way.....check with NYWG HQ and see what they say.  It may be that it is taking a long time to get the word out because they have to get all the names of everyone in the the wing on the PA.

The same same thing happend when NVWG got the NCUC.  It took a while for the PA to get written....and even then it was not 100% correct.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on September 30, 2009, 05:01:33 AM
In my time in CAWG, CA-000 has been awarded two UCs, and CA-001 has been awarded an additional one. That's two for the entire wing, and another just for wing HQ. WIWAC, the entire NER got a UC for some undetermined action, back in the 60s.
I very much doubt that CA-000 got a UC since in most wings that is the ghost squadron. 

SarDragon

That's why I clarified it by stating the entire wing, and wing HQ. I don't have the PAs available to verify the exact designations.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

Quote from: SarDragon on September 30, 2009, 05:01:33 AM
WIWAC, the entire NER got a UC for some undetermined action, back in the 60s.

That must be the one they told me about.  I'm fairly new and told my commander about the ICL saying you must be a member during the time the citation is awarded.  My commander said that we get to wear it in the PAWG even if I joined 40 years later.  I don't get it.  Why am I decorated for it?

Save the triangle thingy

SilverEagle2

QuoteMy commander said that we get to wear it in the PAWG even if I joined 40 years later.

Negative Ghostrider, your commander is wrong.

The only way I see it working retroactively is if you remove it once you leave the unit it was awarded to.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

SarDragon

I was actually in NER at the time, so I'm eligible to wear it. I never had any real validation until I saw it on the NER web site. I emailed the admin guy, and he confirmed it for me. I had heard rumours at the time, but never saw a PA, so never worried about it.

The ICL is very clear in stating that you must have been a member of the unit for the period covered by the award. There is no retroactive aspect involved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

That's what I said, but the commander insisted that we were  a "special" case and got to wear it.  I showed the ICL letter to them. I haven't worn it, and I won't. 

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Commanders who believe their people are "special"...

That falls in right behind "...Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

"That Others May Zoom"