Suggested Change to Photo ID

Started by 2ltAlexD, August 17, 2009, 11:29:58 PM

Rotorhead

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 19, 2009, 03:59:24 PM
My Department of the Army civilian contractor CAC card actually has imprinted on the face specific exchange/MWR privileges I can use. (AAFES is the only game in town on Kwajalein!)

I'll agree  that when - and if - they update the CAP ID card (not the library card membership card - that should go away) they could add the following blurb on the face of the card:

Authorized Patronage:

Limited Exchange (AR 215-8/AFI 34-211) and limited MWR with military support authorization (MSA) letter; MCSS and food court only without MSA.

My two cents' worth - before taxes take it all away!  ;D

Very smart. I agree.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DrJbdm

flyguy06

if you have your official CAP membership card you should be able tobuy things at AFFES.

JC004

PHall

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 20, 2009, 12:39:11 AM
if you have your official CAP membership card you should be able tobuy things at AFFES.

Unless you're on a MSA (Military Support Authorization), the only thing you can buy at AAFES are uniform items.

If you're on a MSA you can buy everything at the Exchange except alcohol and tobacco.

flyguy06

True i was talking about uniforms

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on August 20, 2009, 12:54:41 AM

Unless you're on a MSA (Military Support Authorization), the only thing you can buy at AAFES are uniform items.

If you're on a MSA you can buy everything at the Exchange except alcohol and tobacco.

Even furniture and other "big ticket" items?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 20, 2009, 01:16:39 AM

I certainly wouldn't - at least not for personal use, though its at least technically authorized.  I suppose if I needed a television, or DVD player for the unit on base, encampment, etc., I might consider it, but that's a sure way to get the light of scrutiny shined on you for no good reason.

At least in my AOR, the prices at the exchange don't compete very well with the Big Box down the street.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

The point of the thread is that some base security is confused about giving CAP access to the base at all.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on August 20, 2009, 01:16:39 AM

The current reg was written before AAFES started carrying "big ticket" items, so it's not addressed.
But I don't think I would want to be the first person to try it though.

And since I have a military ID, I don't have to.

Grumpy

I'm in the same catagory as PHall so I don't worry about the ID cards.  However, I seem to remember a fewa years back seeing a chart hanging on a wall in the exchange.  It had pictures of the various ID cards and an explaination of their authorized use.  A CAP ID was one of those cards.

flyguy06

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 20, 2009, 01:31:11 AM
The point of the thread is that some base security is confused about giving CAP access to the base at all.

Its base dependant. Here in Atlanta, CAP members have to notify the Wing Administartor 24 hours inadvance if they are visiting the base so they can be put on a list for the security folks. I dont agree with that. I think thats why we have CAP[USAF to be that bridge between CAP and the USAF (hense the name) CAP-USAF folks need to explain to base commanders who we are and what we are.

mmouw

I have to say that having access and exchange privileges isn't really as great as it sounds. I recently went shopping for a new Sony LCD. After shopping around, the BX was one of the highest priced places. Best Buy and Sears were less money than AAFES by $400 for the exact same tv. Granted AAFES matched the price and I saved on tax, but I had to jump through hoops to prove the price. I felt as if they thought I was trying to pull something on them to get their TV for less money. The craziest thing was I use to work for AAFES part time.

The BX isn't what it use to be. I know that we have the privilege to purchase uniform items from MCSS, but we also have access to multiple sources online to get what you need. Not everyone lives next door to an AFB and they seem to do just fine for what they need. I personally wouldn't deal with the headache. I have been to a number of bases and in fact the last base had complete support by the instillation commander to include a written authorization that was posted at each gate and members still had problems getting on base.

I agree that the libary card needs to be replaced with something more professional, but until then I recommend avoiding the headache you get by trying to get on base with your CAP ID.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

2ltAlexD

Being in a military family, I know what you mean. It just depends on what you are buying at the time. I do think that CG Aux are treated much better when it comes to getting on bases though for some reason.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

Spike

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on August 20, 2009, 01:19:02 PM
Being in a military family, I know what you mean. It just depends on what you are buying at the time. I do think that CG Aux are treated much better when it comes to getting on bases though for some reason.

Real Auxiliary.  CAP is not. 

2ltAlexD

Yes, I am finding that out very fast and have only been an aux coastie for a few months now, but sort of like it a little bit differently than CAP. I get to spend more time with active duty in the CG Aux.
Quote from: Spike on August 20, 2009, 10:10:41 PM

Rotorhead

Define "real."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

2ltAlexD

CAP is real. To me I think there should be some changes about how the AF sees us though. Like in the CG Aux, its not the COast Guard Auxiliary and the Coast Guard, its the Coast Guard and we're not treated as separate organizations, we are actually a component of the uniformed service like the reserves.
Quote from: Rotorhead on August 20, 2009, 10:25:42 PM

Define "real."

Eclipse

Why do insist on putting your responses above the quotes?  Its really hard to read.

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on August 20, 2009, 10:47:42 PM
CAP is real. To me I think there should be some changes about how the AF sees us though. Like in the CG Aux, its not the COast Guard Auxiliary and the Coast Guard, its the Coast Guard and we're not treated as separate organizations, we are actually a component of the uniformed service like the reserves.

No, you're not.  You are an incorporated civilian auxiliary, same as CAP, with a very narrowly defined scope as to your participation.  Do not confuse the circumstantial nature of where you participate with what your role within the framework is.

"That Others May Zoom"

2ltAlexD

Forgive me I use a screen reading program due to my sight impairment, so it automatically does that.
CAP is a corporation and the CG Aux isn't. CG Aux is actually a all the time part of the regular CG.
Why don't CAP members get like the CG Aux allowed to purchase anything from the AF exchanges except tax free items like we get in the CG Aux purchase anything at CG exchanges?
Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2009, 11:06:41 PM
Why do insist on putting your responses above the quotes?  Its really hard to read.

Quote from: 2ltAlexD on August 20, 2009, 10:47:42 PM

No, you're not.  You are an incorporated civilian auxiliary, same as CAP, with a very narrowly defined scope as to your participation.  Do not confuse the circumstantial nature of where you participate with what your role within the framework is.