Main Menu

Vbulletin and captalk

Started by Daniel, August 07, 2009, 05:37:25 PM

Daniel

If you don't know already, Captalk is ran on a SMF meaning simple machines software. Which is a free discussion board, which would be all fine and dandy if freeware wasn't so ill-secure.

I would like to suggest vbulletin as a new base. Vbulletin is very powerful software and very secure with great support. But unfortunately also a price tag of about $180.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

What security issues are you specifically concerned about regarding Captalk?

This isn't an official site, OPSEC issues are generally beat-down quick, and there's no eCommerce.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

Quote from: Eclipse on August 07, 2009, 05:49:46 PM

This isn't an official site, OPSEC issues are generally beat-down quick, and there's no eCommerce.

Well, It has nothing to do with OPSEC or cap in general just the software this forum is based on. You see when a software is freeware anyone can play with it and discover security flaws.

You see. I don't know about SMF or any flaw for sure, but then again I'm not a black hat.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

MIKE

You gonna make a donation for the cost of the software?  How about a dedicated server too?  Compatibility with the existing threads would also be at issue.
Mike Johnston

Daniel

Quote from: MIKE on August 07, 2009, 05:56:17 PM
You gonna make a donation for the cost of the software?  How about a dedicated server too?  Compatibility with the existing threads would also be at issue.

VB has a converter for the threads, User-base and all the fun stuff

Why would you need a dedicated server? Plan on host more Cap sites?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on August 07, 2009, 05:52:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 07, 2009, 05:49:46 PM

Well, It has nothing to do with OPSEC or cap in general just the software this forum is based on. You see when a software is freeware anyone can play with it and discover security flaws.

Yes, and anyone can also correct them.

The fact that software is "free" doesn't mean it is inherently insecure, anymore than paying a lot of money for software means its secure.  All of the major operating systems and browsers have security vulnerabilities, some more than others, and some more serious than others.

In the tech world, OSS software, in many cases, is considered more secure than proprietary software for the exact reason that the source code is open for review.

"That Others May Zoom"

whatevah

Nothing to worry about, there aren't any security issues with SMF.  Any minor glitches that arise are fixed by the hundreds of people who test help with coding and all admins are notified in the admin panel if there are any updates.    The coding for vbulletin is available to people who want to hack, by the way.

So, what was the point of your post?  There are literally millions of forums out there being hosted on free forum software (primarily phpbb and smf) and you don't hear about them getting hacked all the time (although the older phpbb stuff wasn't coded very well).

Btw, I'm the server owner/admin/whatever.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Daniel

Quote from: whatevah on August 07, 2009, 06:04:38 PM
Nothing to worry about, there aren't any security issues with SMF.  Any minor glitches that arise are fixed by the hundreds of people who test help with coding and all admins are notified in the admin panel if there are any updates.    The coding for vbulletin is available to people who want to hack, by the way.

So, what was the point of your post?  There are literally millions of forums out there being hosted on free forum software (primarily phpbb and smf) and you don't hear about them getting hacked all the time (although the older phpbb stuff wasn't coded very well).

Btw, I'm the server owner/admin/whatever.

Well. I was more speaking from personal experience.

That is pretty well it.

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

whatevah

I'm curious now, what experience do you have with SMF vulnerabilities?
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Daniel

Quote from: whatevah on August 07, 2009, 06:08:15 PM
I'm curious now, what experience do you have with SMF vulnerabilities?

As I have stated above sir,

"I don't know about SMF or any flaw for sure, but then again I'm not a black hat."

But every freeware forum, I've owned got hacked from a software level.

Now I would like to note,

You guys have owned a SMF for quite a long time and it seems to work for you

So in the words of a smart guy "Keep doing what your doing then."
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

whatevah

mmmmk.   We now return you to your normally scheduled programming.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin