Main Menu

Air Force Sword

Started by schreiberboy, July 16, 2006, 09:57:31 PM

PHall

Quote from: Short Field on June 18, 2008, 12:16:12 AM
Well, I have a Air Force Sword stored in the closet but didn't have a clue as to the regs covering the wear of it.  There are no USAF regs that cover it.  This is the best I could find on the internet but it tracks with my experience - normally cutting the cake at the USAF Birthday Ball:

The Air Force ceremonial sword is one of those "unwritten traditions." Ceremonial Swords may be carried by Air Force personnel (cadets, enlisted, officers) for any formal ceremony which warrants it. An example would be honor guard, or a group of NCOs/Officers performing the "Arch" at a military wedding. Generally, permission (and a briefing) must be obtained from the Wing Protocol Office before wearing a sword, in uniform at any ceremony (except for those who do so routinely, such as honor guard members -- they are generally covered by local -- Wing level -- honor guard policy or regulations, telling them when to wear the sword or not).

I believe the only place that would have a reg covering swords would be the Air Force Academy.
Probably a AFCW series reg.

SAR-EMT1

I just wanted to mention... someone above mentioned that the USAF used the pretty-pointy-thing in all commissioning programs...
Um, I was AFROTC for several years and my roommate was in both AAS and Drill Team. Neither group ever had access to a sword much less used one as part of a ceremony or anything. Cadet Wing King was from my hometown in fact (and we were members of BSA, CAP and the same church at the same time too but i digress)

Point is he didnt have a metal toothpick either. If the Cadet Colonel doesnt have one, aint no one gonna have one.
And they didnt exist at Field Training that I know of either.

YMMV
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Short Field

^^^Same here.  The one in my closet belongs to my wife.  It was awarded to her as the top AFROTC cadet during the annual awards ceremony.   I missed that but did get back from overseas the next day in time to commission her.   ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

wingnut55

But Lattie, you must ride in front of your men and cry "FREEDOM", and then we can all pull up our pretty CAP Blue Kilts and wag the dog, truly a sight that NHQ will not forget.

Don't throw it, it is really cheap and will break, don't Barbee either, it is made in China and so your meat will have lead in it.

and as a former Cadet (When CAP flew AT6s) wouldn't you love to Carry it when we park cars at an air show, I mean, a guy does not stop, we stab his tire, Cool, like Rambo. Dude >:D

JayT

Quote from: schreiberboy on July 16, 2006, 09:57:31 PM
Has there ever been any talk about bringing in the USAF or USAFA parade sword for cadet officers? 

Well, now there's been.

But before that, no, no one cares.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Hawk200

I wonder how many people would want a sword once they know how much they cost. And once they know how much they cost, how many would demand that CAP issue them one. There are some people in this organization that think that CAP owes them. The sense of entitlement is idotic for a volunteer organization.

All in all, I think the expense would outweigh the "cool" factor once it's known.

Flying Pig

Having worn an NCO sword as a Marine, they are really a pain in the rear.  And frankly, you need a certain body shape to get away with wearing a sword.  Having a 15 year old with a 14 inch waist and a sword and belt cinched around them doesn't' look all that great.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 18, 2008, 04:55:36 PM
Having a 15 year old with a 14 inch waist and a sword and belt cinched around them doesn't' look all that great.

PLUS.....do you really want to explain to Mom and Dad why little Johny or Suzie is missing an ear, or be on the conference call with NHQ trying to get medical expenses paid for your Cadet who is now in the ICU??

The AF hardly uses swords/sabres etc.  CAP absolutely does not need them! 

It is only a "cool bling item".  If they want bling, HAWK MTN is still accepting applications until the end of June!!
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Actually, CAP has a sword.

You can order it from Vanguard.  It says "Civil Air Patrol" in pretty script writing right on the blade, and has a little picture of a high-wing single-engine patrol plane on it.

It costs something in the way of $400 with shipping. 

I do not know what it can be used for. 

Well, I know, but there are regulations against carving out the livers of cadets.
Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

Something just seems dreadfully wrong about having a Cessna etched onto a sword...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2008, 08:14:40 PM
Something just seems dreadfully wrong about having a Cessna etched onto a sword...

In the interest of accuracy, I am not sure if it is a Cessna or an old Piper.

mikeylikey

^ Why do we even have a CAP Sword available from Vanguard, when they can't produce NCO slides, Flight Officer Rank Insignia, and other things that the members need??

STUPID Vanguard, and stupid sword
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Why do you ask a question in the first paragraph only to answer your own question in the second paragraph?   >:D