Main Menu

Air Force Sword

Started by schreiberboy, July 16, 2006, 09:57:31 PM

schreiberboy

Has there ever been any talk about bringing in the USAF or USAFA parade sword for cadet officers? 
c/2d Lt Daniel Schreiber, CAP
LTC BnCo, Camden Military Academy

SarDragon

Quote from: schreiberboy on July 16, 2006, 09:57:31 PM
Has there ever been any talk about bringing in the USAF or USAFA parade sword for cadet officers? 

I hope not!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Why?  What purpose would it serve?  When would they use it?  What need does it fulfill?  What about it being specifically banned by our regs?

BTW, the USAF does not have a sword.  The Academy does however.

schreiberboy

Quote from: shorning on July 16, 2006, 10:26:54 PM

Why?  What purpose would it serve?  When would they use it?  What need does it fulfill?  What about it being specifically banned by our regs?

I think it could be used for the same reasons that it's used at the academy- for drill/parade cermonies.  I hadn't read about it being banned either, where does it mention that?

mprokosch11

During a parade our First Sergeant used his JROTC sword on the color guard, I wasnt sure if he could do that.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

schreiberboy

Quote from: penguinmaster113 on July 16, 2006, 10:38:35 PM
During a parade our First Sergeant used his JROTC sword on the color guard, I wasnt sure if he could do that.
you were probably doing an army-style color guard like they do at my school- where the color guard commander stands in back?

shorning

Quote from: schreiberboy on July 16, 2006, 10:36:48 PM
I hadn't read about it being banned either, where does it mention that?

This demonstrates a good reason why cadets should be familiar the the rules that govern their programs. 

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-5c. Weapons. ...There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns, or any device that could be used as a weapon at any cadet activity. ...

and

Quote from: CAPP 52-81.3. Restrictions. CAP regulations are the standards that all CAP members follow. Some of these regulations impact the Unit Honor Guard. For example, CAP Regulation 52-16 states that devices that can be used as a weapon are not allowed. Only non-operating (meaning not capable of firing) rifles are allowed. Therefore, no bayonets, sabers, swords, and the like, are allowed. ...

You can read it for yourself here and here.

shorning

...I wasnt sure if he could do that.

No, he can't.  See above.

schreiberboy

Thanks for informing me of that! I had seen the 52-16 1-5c but I didn't really consider a parade sword a weapon being that it isn't sharp (A butter knife could do more damage....) but the 52-8 makes it clear.

mprokosch11

Quote from: schreiberboy on July 16, 2006, 10:50:27 PM
you were probably doing an army-style color guard like they do at my school- where the color guard commander stands in back?

No, he stood right next to the Senior rifleman.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

Chris Jacobs

If there can be no weapons or any thing that can be used as a wepon at a cadet activity then how can cadets carry knifes for ground teams.  It is actualy in the ground team meber reference text.  So there seem to be exemptions to the rule.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

schreiberboy

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on July 17, 2006, 04:24:18 AM
If there can be no weapons or any thing that can be used as a wepon at a cadet activity then how can cadets carry knifes for ground teams.  It is actualy in the ground team meber reference text.  So there seem to be exemptions to the rule.
I've heard (not read) that during SAREXs and such that you can carry a blade but it must be under 3 1/2 inches or something like that...

schreiberboy

No, he stood right next to the Senior rifleman.
[/quote]
Then i don't know what he was thinking- I'm suprised he got away with it- he really should have known better.  I have a JROTC sword too but I've never even thought of using it in a CAP color guard.

Marine Corps Gal

I think the sword would look awesome in parades too, but... ah well.

And YES, there must be exemptions to the "no-weapons-at-cadet-activities" rule, because knives ARE allowed.  It must be 3 and a half inches or less, but it is nevertheless allowed (I should know; I always carry one ;D).
OO-RAH.

shorning

Quote from: Marine Corps Gal on July 17, 2006, 05:06:24 AM
I think the sword would look awesome in parades too, but... ah well.

And YES, there must be exemptions to the "no-weapons-at-cadet-activities" rule, because knives ARE allowed.  It must be 3 and a half inches or less, but it is nevertheless allowed (I should know; I always carry one ;D).

I'm going to guess that you didn't bother to read the regs and aren't familiar with the law.

mikeylikey

So when do you think Vanguard will start selling this sword?
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 18, 2006, 01:00:47 AM
So when do you think Vanguard will start selling this sword?

Stirring the pot, I see?   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

smj58501

Are light sabers forbidden? They are weapons by imagination only consisting of technology that has not been invented yet, even though they were used a long time ago in a place far, far away....
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Al Sayre

You usually can't let two cadets have brooms at the same time without either a mock sword fight or a mock cudgel fight breaking out.  Why on earth would we want to give them real weapons?  Do you know how much paperwork we would have to fill out if someone got stabbed? :o  That would really cut into our donut eatin time... ;)  Seriously though, it would be a bad idea.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

shorning

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 18, 2006, 05:18:55 PM
Do you know how much paperwork we would have to fill out if someone got stabbed?

Speaking of which, the staple, ruler and pen could also be weapons.  But I digress...