Main Menu

Question..

Started by Daniel, July 30, 2009, 12:25:05 AM

Daniel

i recieved a call from my commander...

He wanted my assistance in helping move his nieghbor into her new house.

We were in civilian clothes as this had nothing to do with CAP

but was I supposed to have complete miltary courtesies since he is my commander and an officer

or since this has nothing to do with cap was calling him sir enough?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DC

If both of you were in civvies and it was totally non-CAP, showing him the due respect that you would show any other adult would suffice IMO.

Daniel

there was a few members there, but that was it.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BrandonKea

Seems a little odd to me that a squadron commander would call a cadet to help a friend move, but stranger things have happened...

+1 to DC's comments, he's still your squadron commander, you probably aren't going to show up saying "Hey Jim!" or whatever his name is.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Eclipse

I'm going to go ahead and say this was a big non-no.  YMMV

CAP Cadets are not a free labor pool, friend or otherwise.  The fact that more than one other member was there makes it worse, and if something happened, trying to convince an IG or other court that this wasn't a CAP activity isn't going to fly.

As to the actual question - Sir's and Ma'am's are appropriate.  That person is still your commander, and an adult - its doesn't matter what they are wearing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Daniel

He told me what I was getting into before I agreed to it so I don't think I was free labour.

That and his nieghbor was 70 years old and broke her arm moving in

Also non-cap members we're there too
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

EMT-83

I would think that a "Good Morning, Sir" would about cover the C&C for the day.

Sounds like this was a great opportunity to help out a member of the community who found herself in a tough spot.

Daniel

Thats what I looked at it as.

And as a cadet should when he asked a question I came to attention answering yes sir or no sir.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BrandonKea

Quote from: Daniel L on July 30, 2009, 12:50:11 AM
Thats what I looked at it as.

And as a cadet should when he asked a question it was coming to attention saying yes sir or no sir.

I think you meant to ask if you should come to attention when he was asking you a question?

No, simply being respectful and using "sir" would be sufficient, IMO.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2009, 12:43:58 AM
I'm going to go ahead and say this was a big non-no.  YMMV

CAP Cadets are not a free labor pool, friend or otherwise.  The fact that more than one other member was there makes it worse, and if something happened, trying to convince an IG or other court that this wasn't a CAP activity isn't going to fly.

As to the actual question - Sir's and Ma'am's are appropriate.  That person is still your commander, and an adult - its doesn't matter what they are wearing.

How in the world could this be construed as a CAP activity? If I go out to Chilli's after a meeting with my squadron commander, is that a CAP activity? If I see him at the store, is that suddenly a CAP activity?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Daniel

I eddited for grammar reasons.

basically I just didn't salute him as when moving boxes that becomes difficult especially when you pass each other 6,000 times

@kea's last post, that was funny for some odd reason
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BrandonKea

Quote from: Daniel L on July 30, 2009, 12:54:59 AM
I eddited for grammar reasons.

basically I just didn't salute him as when moving boxes that becomes difficult especially when you pass each other 6,000 times

I would really hope you didn't salute him because you weren't in uniform.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Daniel

At encampment

(which we we're told is how to model ourselves)

We soluted even when we were out of uniform
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BrandonKea

Quote from: Daniel L on July 30, 2009, 12:57:09 AM
At encampment

That would be incorrect regardless of it being at encampment or not.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: BrandonKea on July 30, 2009, 12:58:13 AM
Quote from: Daniel L on July 30, 2009, 12:57:09 AM
At encampment

That would be incorrect regardless of it being at encampment or not.

Not necessarily.

As to whether this was a "CAP Activity" - see how well that flies if someone gets hurt - lawyer asks the connection, you say he's your commander.  That's what lawyers do.  Anything to try an reach into the deep pockets of CAP.   You might be surprised what your parents would do if you were permanently injured or disabled.

Frankly, you'd all have been better served doing it as a CAP activity in the vein of community service.  At least you'd potentially have some liability protection.

Everyone should be clear on this - play all the jailhouse lawyer games you want about why or how things aren't "CAP Activities" - "you all just happened to show up together", "it was after the meeting", "we weren't in uniform", etc., make your case, but unless you're related to the other members, especially cadets, there will be no separating CAP from the involvement.  You know them because of CAP.

Commanders should maintain the bright line between themselves and their members, especially cadets, in the same way that teachers maintain the line between themselves and students.

"That Others May Zoom"

BrandonKea

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2009, 01:20:07 AM
As to whether this was a "CAP Activity" - see how well that flies if someone gets hurt - lawyer asks the connection, you say he's your commander.  That's what lawyers do.  Anything to try an reach into the deep pockets of CAP.   You might be surprised what your parents would do if you were permanently injured or disabled.
It was not a CAP activity, period. Our commanders are not held responsible for our actions outside of CAP, unlike in the military.

Frankly, you'd all have been better served doing it as a CAP activity in the vein of community service.  At least you'd potentially have some liability protection.

CAP Moving Service? Really? I hope I just missed the sarcasm.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2009, 01:20:07 AMEveryone should be clear on this - play all the jailhouse lawyer games you want about why or how things aren't "CAP Activities" - "you all just happened to show up together", "it was after the meeting", "we weren't in uniform", etc., make your case, but unless you're related to the other members, especially cadets, there will be no separating CAP from the involvement.  You know them because of CAP.
Again, the moment I show up with someone at an outside place, on MY time, I am NOT on a CAP activity. I work with a guy in CAP. Doesn't mean my time at work is a CAP activity. If a CAP Pilot is also an airline pilot and he happens to fly a cadet on the aircraft, it's not a Cadet Orientation flight.

There IS a clear line where the CAP activities start and stop.

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2009, 01:20:07 AMCommanders should maintain the bright line between themselves and their members, especially cadets, in the same way that teachers maintain the line between themselves and students.

I agree somewhat with this. Should cadets be called to help a friend of the commander move? No, not in my opinion. Is it wrong? He's not likely to lose his command over it...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

heliodoc

Daniel

Lots o info here, right?

On Active Duty folks were always helping each other move in or out or asking folks to do so regardless of rank and grade

You did alright by calling him "sir"

It was OBVIOUSLY NOT a CAP activity.  Hell, I have helped CAPers on their cars 20 years ago when they ran sprint cars on  pit crew and it was not a CAP activity

I wouldn't worry about it or loose ANY sleep over it!!

JC004

CAP Cadets are not a free labor pool, friend or otherwise.

NOOOOOO!   :'(

Spike

Quote from: JC004 on July 30, 2009, 01:54:30 AM
CAP Cadets are not a free labor pool, friend or otherwise.

NOOOOOO!   :'(

YESSSSSS!  :)

Daniel

You might be surprised what your parents would do if you were permanently injured or disabled.

God beat you and my commander to the punch xD
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416