Flight academy

Started by flyguy06, July 24, 2009, 01:55:35 AM

flyguy06

I volunteer with another organization thatruns a youth summer aviation camp. Its a two week flight camp that gears them to solo. It is muchlike the National Flight Academy. The Director of the camp is a major Airline pilot and former Air Force Instructor Pilot at SUPT.

H eruns the camp much like SUPT. Students have daily assignments as weather officer, briefng officer and saety officer. They start each morning with a weather and safety brif. They have stand ups and they go over EP's(Emergency Procedures) of course we are talking about in single engine recip aircraft. the students fly half the day and attend ground shool the other half of the day. its very structured. I asked an alumni of theprogram who eventually went on to be an AIr Force Pilot how he would compare this camp to actual UPT. He said there were similiarites and the camp helped him get ready for UPT.

So, my question is if this civilan non military related camp can do a programlike this, why doesnt CAP, the auxillary of the AIr Force do a programjust as structured? Andmaybe I am wrong. I have never attended a NFA, burt I would like to. But from talking to the cadets I know that have been to a NFA, they dont describe it like this. I would love to have a flight academy that dupilcates this.

DC

Probably because not all of the cadets that go to NFA want to fly for the military, and that kind of environment isn't necessary when you are training civilians to fly simple airplanes.

CAP does have SUPTFC, which provides an incredible look into what life in UPT is like (at least the one in MS does, I can't speak for the one in TX).

Two separate activities, two different missions...

Pumbaa

Can we define acronyms the first time you use them?  People assume everyone knows all the letters being thrown about on this board.

Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (SUPT)
National Flight Academy  (NFA)

BillB

Florida Wing ran a Flight Academy years ago as you describe. It was a two week activity at a south Florida civilian airport but the cadets were housed and fed at Homestead AFB a short distance away. It was a semi-military activity such as an Encampment, but slightly more relaxed but even had barracks inspections etc. Cadets flew an average of three hours a day, but if a cadet needed extra flight training that was built into the Academy. If memory serves, thirty cadets attended and 27 earned Private Pilots License, the others at least completed their Solo flights.
There was both a cadet and senior staff and the Commander CAP-USAF was the guest at the end of Academy banquet.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SJFedor

Quote from: BillB on August 01, 2009, 02:23:38 PM
Florida Wing ran a Flight Academy years ago as you describe. It was a two week activity at a south Florida civilian airport but the cadets were housed and fed at Homestead AFB a short distance away. It was a semi-military activity such as an Encampment, but slightly more relaxed but even had barracks inspections etc. Cadets flew an average of three hours a day, but if a cadet needed extra flight training that was built into the Academy. If memory serves, thirty cadets attended and 27 earned Private Pilots License, the others at least completed their Solo flights.
There was both a cadet and senior staff and the Commander CAP-USAF was the guest at the end of Academy banquet.

You guys took 27 cadets from zero to PP-ASEL in two weeks?  :(

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

DG

Quote from: SJFedor on August 01, 2009, 09:50:51 PM
Quote from: BillB on August 01, 2009, 02:23:38 PM

You guys took 27 cadets from zero to PP-ASEL in two weeks?  :(

Only a Fedor or a Friel could do that.

BillB

Yes 27 cadets went to ASEL in two weeks. They were flying three or four hours a day, normally three. A total of over 1,200 hours were flown during the activity.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CASH172

I wish I could've done that.  But that makes me wonder how much it cost each cadet and how much it cost the wing to offset.

BillB

The aircraft were mainly CAP aircraft plus a few from the Flight School that provided some of the instructors. Keep in mind AV gas during this period was hovering around $1.00 to $1.25 a gallon. So the cost to the cadet was slightly over $1200. Base housing was free, and meals averaged $3.00. (included in the $1200) Wing provided $1500 for administrative costs and flat rate rental of the Cessna 150 aircraft above left over funds from the cadets. 
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

flyguy06

Quote from: DC on August 01, 2009, 01:46:22 PM
Probably because not all of the cadets that go to NFA want to fly for the military, and that kind of environment isn't necessary when you are training civilians to fly simple airplanes.

CAP does have SUPTFC, which provides an incredible look into what life in UPT is like (at least the one in MS does, I can't speak for the one in TX).

You misunderstand. I am not suggesting that they do. The program I attened was sponsored by airline pilots but not all the kids want to be airline pilots. There is stil nothing wrong withtat kind of training. has nothing tot do with wheather or not the cadet wants to go into the military. Its a safe effeciant way to train.

DG

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 04, 2009, 08:15:13 AM

You misunderstand. I am not suggesting that they do. The program I attened was sponsored by airline pilots but not all the kids want to be airline pilots. There is stil nothing wrong withtat kind of training. has nothing tot do with wheather or not the cadet wants to go into the military. Its a safe effeciant way to train.

I have some young people who would be interested in this program put on by airline pilots.

How can they get in?

And what is the cost to attend?

DG

Quote from: BillB on August 03, 2009, 03:11:53 PM
The aircraft were mainly CAP aircraft plus a few from the Flight School that provided some of the instructors. Keep in mind AV gas during this period was hovering around $1.00 to $1.25 a gallon. So the cost to the cadet was slightly over $1200. Base housing was free, and meals averaged $3.00. (included in the $1200) Wing provided $1500 for administrative costs and flat rate rental of the Cessna 150 aircraft above left over funds from the cadets.

WOW!

That must have been 35 years ago.

Be interesting to do followup on what the pilots arer doing / flying now, and what they have done / flown over the years.

Airrace

Does anyone know the cost of the CAP National Flight Academy? I looked on their website and was unable to find a price for this year.

NC Hokie

Just had a cadet return from the NFA held up in Virginia...his cost was $1000.00 plus the cost of his physical and transportation.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

DC

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 04, 2009, 05:23:53 PM
Just had a cadet return from the NFA held up in Virginia...his cost was $1000.00 plus the cost of his physical and transportation.
And that's just for a possible solo, weather, time and student aptitude permitting...

flyguy06

Quote from: DG on August 04, 2009, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 04, 2009, 08:15:13 AM

I have some young people who would be interested in this program put on by airline pilots.

How can they get in?

And what is the cost to attend?

The program is free to students. Delta airlines pays for it.  I sent you a pm

Airrace

Hello Flyguy06:

Could you send me the information as well?
Thanks

jeancalvinus

are the NFAs suitable for cadets who have already soloed but are short of their 40 hrs for PPL (say around 25 or so)? or are they designed for complete novices?

Jerry Jacobs

NFA's are for cadets to solo, not for continuing education.

Aviator1

The MDWG has been running a Solo Flight Scholarship program that will host its 20th year next year.  There is a selection process where only the best cadets are selected.  They are evaluated on GPA, Resume, Application Letter, and a Interview board.  The school selects 6 cadets to attend the course.  The students pay a nominal fee (usually about $600.00) and they are responsible for obtaining their Student Pilot/3rd Class Medical Certificate.
They spend a weekend (Fri-Sun) taking the FAA Private Pilot Ground School, then a month after that (they get 3 weeks to study) they report for the 10-day flight academy.  They spend 9 days flying during the day (each student gets 2 flights per day) and taking Ground School in the evening.  Usually around the 8-9 hour mark of the 15 hours they are allotted, they will solo in a Corporate C172P.  At the conclusion of the week they will take the FAA Private Pilot Written Exam.  The Wing has been doing this for 19 yrs, there is a 100% success rate on the Solo and there is a 99% pass rate on the written. 
The course's success is due to the instructor/student ration 1:2 and individualized attention through the whole process.  If anyone would like more information, please feel free to contact me.