Main Menu

Vanguard

Started by Flying Pig, July 17, 2009, 04:22:15 PM

Flying Pig

I just received my shipping confirmation that my stock, off the shelf polo shirt shipped today.  Just the generic shirt with only the CAP seal on it.  It took 7 weeks for them to just drop it in the mail.  I forgot I even ordered it.

RiverAux

Ah, the wonders of privatization....

JC004

I was calm until you had to go and bring up Vanguard. 

DC

That's really sad...

I've had good luck with them lately, but there seems to be very little consistency in their service. You never know when you'll get your order or if it'll be correct unless you fork over $45 to overnight it...

O-Rex

How many of you have had VG at your WingConf?

If so, did it seem that the inventory was a bit heavy on "clearance items??"   I mean how many CAP shield 'marble-ite' paperweights and CAP-logo sewing kits can a person buy?

DC

Quote from: O-Rex on July 17, 2009, 08:40:06 PM

If so, did it seem that the inventory was a bit heavy on "clearance items??"   I mean how many CAP shield 'marble-ite' paperweights and CAP-logo sewing kits can a person buy?
They were at the last FLWG conference I was at, and it was mostly uniform stuff, with a few little novelty things.

They're probably trying to get rid of that stuff, I can't imagine they sell much of it on the website.

O-Rex

Quote from: DC on July 17, 2009, 08:43:29 PM

They were at the last FLWG conference I was at, and it was mostly uniform stuff, with a few little novelty things.

They're probably trying to get rid of that stuff, I can't imagine they sell much of it on the website.

They weren't at the last FLWG WingConf-money was tight and the Wing foots the bill for the room they occupy.

They should ditch the souveniers and stock more uniform gee-gaws: after the mad dash on Friday afternoon when it opens, the pickings get lean...

DC

Quote from: O-Rex on July 17, 2009, 09:01:43 PM

They weren't at the last FLWG WingConf-money was tight and the Wing foots the bill for the room they occupy.

They should ditch the souveniers and stock more uniform gee-gaws: after the mad dash on Friday afternoon when it opens, the pickings get lean...
I wasn't at last year's so I wouldn't know. I think the last one I went to was in 06 or 07...

davidsinn

Quote from: O-Rex on July 17, 2009, 09:01:43 PM

Why is the wing paying Vanguard to come and make money? Let me put it a different way: Why is a non profit paying for a for profit business to come make a profit?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

EMT-83

This is CAP. Please do not attempt to apply logic or common sense.

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 17, 2009, 11:33:44 PM
This is CAP. Please do not attempt to apply logic or common sense.

You're right. I'll start beating my head on the wall now. It has the same effect  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

LtCol057

I must be the exception to the rule, but I've never had any problems with Vanguard. I ordered some stuff ($200+ worth) on a Friday, and got it in less than a week, including nametags.  Maybe it's because I'm about a 3 hour drive from their VA site where all CAP orders are filled. 

Actually, I stand corrected. The only problem I've ever had was about 18 months ago. I went to their store in VA and picked up several items, including nametapes. Paid with a credit card. About 2 months later, received an envelope from FedEx with the exact same items I already got.  No extra charges on my card.  I know there's supposedly a 2 week delay in getting nametapes and nametags, but I don't recall every waiting 2 weeks unless I forgot to order them.

JohnKachenmeister

Yup.  You're the exception! ::)
Another former CAP officer

PHall

And the stupid thing is that their service when you're using the "regular" web site to order "military" stuff is usually much better.
Kinda shows where their priorities are at.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
And the stupid thing is that their service when you're using the "regular" web site to order "military" stuff is usually much better.
Kinda shows where their priorities are at.

Now that I think of it, I did get stuff faster when I had military items in the order.

AC

I got a free leather namepatch from them about three weeks ago. They sent the one for the leather jacket. I ordered the one for the flight suit. I told them about it and they sent the right one in about a week. No add'l charge.

I went on ebay and got an A-2 jacket for $75. Too bad I can't wear it, it fits perfectly.

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

Thrashed

I ordered two little things for a uniform for $9 and the cheapest shipping was $9.50!  It will weigh a couple ounces and fit in a small evelope.  Hock shop was out, so what choice do I have?

Save the triangle thingy

NC Hokie

Quote from: Thrash on July 20, 2009, 05:17:59 PM
I ordered two little things for a uniform for $9 and the cheapest shipping was $9.50!  It will weigh a couple ounces and fit in a small evelope.  Hock shop was out, so what choice do I have?

Check with your squadron mates (or squadron supply officer) to see if they need anything and split the cost of shipping.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

alamrcn

Me also...
I just split an order with another guy, wo we each paid half the shipping.

If you've never "downgraded" from their default UPS Ground to USPS Priority, you save about a dollar. However, they have a pop-up window that tried to scare you out of selecting it!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrash on July 20, 2009, 05:17:59 PM
I ordered two little things for a uniform for $9 and the cheapest shipping was $9.50!  It will weigh a couple ounces and fit in a small envelope.  Hock shop was out, so what choice do I have?

It depends, what are you ordering?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eeyore

I've had very good luck with them lately. I ordered an embroidered polo, 2 dozen ribbons, a couple of badges and a few other things and got it all today.

When I ordered the stuff I selected USPS Priority and somehow I got UPS Overnight, without being charged for it.

In the last 6 months, I've never waited more than a week for my order. I'm happy with them lately.

Ooo, and I like the new labeled ribbon packages, they work better in the supply closet.

Flying Pig

So I get my CAP Polo shirt finally.  And I wash it, never worn.  Cold water, light laundry soap.  Tide as a matter of fact, washed with all of the other blue stuff and my shirt significantly faded.  I washed the color right out of it.  I have an $8 blue, plain polo shirt I bought at Target about 3 months ago so I could wear it and at least look like I was half way in uniform.  And it still looks brand new.  Says a lot for the $37 I paid for the CAP shirt. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 28, 2009, 10:25:01 PM
So I get my CAP Polo shirt finally.  And I wash it, never worn.  Cold water, light laundry soap.  Tide as a matter of fact, washed with all of the other blue stuff and my shirt significantly faded.  I washed the color right out of it.  I have an $8 blue, plain polo shirt I bought at Target about 3 months ago so I could wear it and at least look like I was half way in uniform.  And it still looks brand new.  Says a lot for the $37 I paid for the CAP shirt.

My wife and I used to live about 20 minutes from the Vanguard East building.  She went to Target, bought a few 12 dollar women's polo shirts, brought them to Vanguard and asked them to embroider the CAP seal and her name on them.  That was 3 years ago, they still look practically new (and they actually fit).  They even did it the same day, in about a two hour turn around time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 28, 2009, 10:25:01 PM

Call them and tell them what happened. Someone in my unit had the same thing happen, and they replaced it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

alamrcn

Sharing my most recent experience...

Placed an online order in the morning on Thursday, 7/16.

Right after I completed the order (and not reviewing my purchase completely), I relized that an item I didn't need had "froze" in my cart from my last visit to the website. Darn cookies  >:(

Called the East Office, transfered to a couple departments first, and then explained my issue. I guess they don't actually "get" the order till the following day, but wrote everything down and said she would take care of it.

On Thursday, 7/23, I received notice that the cost of the hitchhiking item was reimbursed to my PayPal account. Went to the Vanguard website to see the order's status, and saw the order had been canceled!!

Called, transfered to Customer Service (and a hard to understand woman with an accent) and explained the situation as best I could. Eventually I found out there was a NEW order number with the remaining items that doesn't show up in my online account.

Received the items on Wednesday, 7/29 - USPS First Class. I'd say it went pretty well, and they handled the situation that was ultimately my error successfully - but maybe could be a little more logistically efficient.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Hill CAP

Quote from: alamrcn on July 21, 2009, 01:39:53 AM
Me also...
I just split an order with another guy, wo we each paid half the shipping.

If you've never "downgraded" from their default UPS Ground to USPS Priority, you save about a dollar. However, they have a pop-up window that tried to scare you out of selecting it!

Ordered a new FLWG Patch on the 5th got the little popup window then went on vacation. Got an email with a conformation number to track with for USPS. it was in my mail box when I got home today and there was an email telling me that USPS confirmed the delievery on the 7th and it was standard ground shipping.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

alamrcn

Oh, yah. I forgot to mention that the NCO Gortex jacket tab I ordered was marked "back-order" on the enclosed invoice.

I got a CALL (well, voicemail) from Vanguard a few days later saying that the item wasn't expected untill September. Bummer, but that was nice of them to give me the heads up... Unlike the ARCHER patch that I had to check in on 3 months later in a previous order.

Anyway, I got an e-mail last week that my order was shipped! It arrive the next day, UPS Next Day Air! Woah.

So the manditory flat shipping still sucks, but I'd have to give the thumbs up to "Big V" on this transaction.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota