Update on ABU wear.

Started by Larry Mangum, July 06, 2009, 04:01:55 PM

Larry Mangum

During Major General Courtier visit to NESA, during a Q&A session she was pointedly asked by a cadet when CAP would switch over to ABU's. The answer came back in about 2 years, with the following caveats:
1. Continued availability of the woodland BDU's.
2. The ability of the Air Force to produce enough of the uniforms for both their and CAP's needs.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Hawk200

Kudos to the cadet with the courage. I think everyone is wondering, but someone has got to ask.

swamprat86

That is about on track for the timeframe that I heard as well, fall 2011.

Ozzy

Awesome, I can't wait. I would have asked but never had the chance to meet her yet. Eventually.... eventually...
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Larry Mangum

Once he asked his question and i asked mine about ICL's, the flood gates opened and she got pummeled with questions until the course director rescued her by both cadets and seniors.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

PA Guy

I wouldn't be in any hurry to make the change.  I just went on the AAFES website and priced a set of ABUs, the coat, trousers, cap and boots came to $207.60.  Add the CAP specific stuff like patches and tapes and the price continues to climb.  That is going to be a hefty chunk of change to cadets/parents. But in CAP when it comes to wardrobe/fashion price is no object!! ::)

Hawk200

Quote from: PA Guy on July 06, 2009, 06:38:29 PM
I wouldn't be in any hurry to make the change.  I just went on the AAFES website and priced a set of ABUs, the coat, trousers, cap and boots came to $207.60.  Add the CAP specific stuff like patches and tapes and the price continues to climb.  That is going to be a hefty chunk of change to cadets/parents. But in CAP when it comes to wardrobe/fashion price is no object!! ::)

I'll wait til they issue it.... ;D

Larry Mangum

I am not in a hurry to change either, I simply posted the reply from MG Courtier.  As to cost, the cost of purchasing a paint of pants , a cap, and a blouse is not significantly higher then purchase of the same items brand new in woodland. For those items BDU.com shows the cost to be around 86.00 dollars. The new boots on the other hand are going to cost it looks like around 125 bucks or higher. Again not out of line for a good high quality boot versus cheap jungle boots.

Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Hawk200

Quote from: Who_knows? on July 06, 2009, 06:54:36 PMThe new boots on the other hand are going to cost it looks like around 125 bucks or higher. Again not out of line for a good high quality boot versus cheap jungle boots.

There are less expensive boots available, but some digging has to be done. $30 specials are not the answer though.

MIKE

Watch for seconds of ABU boots to pop up in Sportsman's Guide eventually since they already carry the regular priced boots.  CAP people just got too used to come and pay the least I can for this uniform possible.  Versus calling up or driving to AAFES as intended. ...And it shows, literally.

Already found one:

Mike Johnston

heliodoc

Nice Mike!!

But I thought alll those uni Nazis at CAP were against any of the Belleville series boots.... I have been wearing 709's for 5 yrs now 

AND it is about time CAP gets with the program...if one is going to spend 130 to200 dinero on a GOOD pair of boots rather than Vanguard Chinese knock off (and prove to me they are not)

Every one else is using the ABU's and Tans and it is really seriously time CAP starts investing in the troops and ordering en masse to bring the costs down.

I was asked by Belleville if I was LE or EMA type and seems to be a 10% discount at the time.

But I think CAP will be wearing these in 2035

MIKE

Quote from: heliodoc on July 06, 2009, 07:28:15 PM
But I thought alll those uni Nazis at CAP were against any of the Belleville series boots.... I have been wearing 709's for 5 yrs now 

Don't know why you would think that since the Belleville's, Bates and Wellco's all produce issue stuff you will find at MCSS.  Magnums and those weird looking Oakley's and Con's etc. are another matter entirely.
Mike Johnston

heliodoc

Mike

BITD about 5 yrs ago...I was read the 39-1 riot act about "CAP flight suits" and correction my 790's were not "uniform enuf "to go flying in that thar C182T G1000 EQUIPPED

The flyboy CAP Lt Col gave me a pass that day 'cuz  1) I was stupid enuf to put on a pair of those...did not have your std brand combat boot that day and 2) we may have set an example by me flying with the CURRENT military issue which I would think those CAP lawyers would have a tough time with BUT you just never know these days and the fact that I had drove 170 miles just to meet up with that lovely piece of equipment.

But again, CAP continues to demonstrate not living up to the current times unless one considers online testing current and up-to-date while everything else such as MOU's and 1985 Specialty Track items are considered current , also >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Rotorhead

Quote from: heliodoc on July 06, 2009, 07:28:15 PM
Every one else is using the ABU's and Tans and it is really seriously time CAP starts investing in the troops and ordering en masse to bring the costs down.
I was surprised to find an upperclassman USAFA cadet wearing woodland, and I asked why.

Her response: "The underclassmen all wear ABUs, so we like the BDUs because they set us apart."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

desertengineer1

But the thread brings up a great question to the uniform board regarding green boots.

They've been authorized for mixed wear in the AF a while now.  Might be a good time to ask fo rthe same.

Been in ABU's for a couple of years now on the military side.  While I'm still not a fan of the heavy material (I can vouch for them being bad news in hot weather), I absolutely love the boots.  They give a new meaning to comfy.

Cost runs me about $36 for the blouse, $30 for the pants, $7 for the cap.

$20 for the tapes and about $15 to get everything sewed on (2 AFSC badges + rank and tapes)

Boots were about $110.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RiverAux

There appears to be a general inability of the services to procure uniforms quickly.  Its taking the CG forever to switch over to the untucked ODU.  So, I'm not too surprised that the AF's ability to have enough of the uniform for their own use will be an issue for a while longer.  Makes you wonder how we managed to get many millions of GIs into uniforms so quickly during WWII.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 07, 2009, 08:35:13 PMMakes you wonder how we managed to get many millions of GIs into uniforms so quickly during WWII.

A majority of industry at that time went directly to war effort. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there was little to no unemployment. Back then the nation was truly at war. Nowadays, it's just the military.

I am wondering if 2011 is the "mandatory wear by" or the "now authorized for wear" date.

Stonewall

From someone who has been wearing ABUS for almost 2 years now.

In 100 degree temperature, it's hot when you wear shorts.  It's hot when you wear blues and it's hot when you wear BDUs.  In this environment, every little thing you can do to make life more comfortable makes a big difference.  ABUs do not help in this effort.  They are thick, heavy and hot.  Great for winter time, except if they get wet, but at least they're comfy when it's cool.

When it's hot, like it is in Florida, they just make your life that much more miserable.

My first pair came with an interior "map pocket".  I'm not sure what size map the folks at the uniform committee use, but no map I've ever used would fit into such a small pocket.  Everyone I know, me included, cut that extra layer of worthless material out.  My second pair of ABUs came without the map pocket and extra layer of material.

I have worn ACUs, BDUs, OD Jungle Fatigues and the old Pickle Suit.  Nothing is hotter than the ABU.  Very rigid and restricts movement because they're so thick and heavy.

Others may love them, I don't care for them.

The pros of the ABU are that they come in specific sizes so they do fit better.  And of course, I love the fact that you don't iron them.  They truly are wash & wear.
Serving since 1987.

biomed441

I had heard somewhere that the AF was working on a lighter, more heat friendly ABU. Perhaps by the time the CAP decides to adopt them they might be available? Not getting my hopes up and likely with a lighter material, the wash and wear concept will dissapear. I could be wrong though.