I'm trying FIREFOX...generally I like it!!!

Started by Major Carrales, June 19, 2009, 09:38:42 PM

Major Carrales

I just downloaded it today...it seems cool.  Even checks the spelling. Any comments to guide me through.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NIN

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 19, 2009, 09:38:42 PM
Any comments to guide me through.

Relax, breathe thru your nose to prevent hyperventilation, and repeat....

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NIN on June 19, 2009, 09:48:10 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on June 19, 2009, 09:38:42 PM
Any comments to guide me through.

Relax, breathe thru your nose to prevent hyperventilation, and repeat....

It's like...like...drinking cold 7-up after eating ten Altoids!!!  Curiously refreshing!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Moved with the other stop using Internet Exploiter unless you want to get click jacked threads.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Some must-have add-ons:

ADBlock Plus (if you only get one, get this one).

Forecastbar Enchanced

Download Statusbar

FEBE (Back up FF settings, etc.)

FireFTP

IE Tab (for those pesky sites that require IE)

Session Manager

Tiny URL Creator

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

When I usd ff at work I always use the session keeper addon for those pesky time limit applications.  Either way I like using chrome now...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

A couple more:

DownThemAll! - download manager

NewTabURL - allows you to define the URL on new tabs; currently they open to a blank page, and you have to manually pick a URL
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pumbaa

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 19, 2009, 11:30:33 PM
When I usd ff at work I always use the session keeper addon for those pesky time limit applications.  Either way I like using chrome now...

I tried chrome recently.  Seeing as I've drunk the Google Kool-Aid about as deeply as I can (Google Apps, Android G1, etc.), rumor had it Gmail was faster on Chrome.

I was somewhat disappointed, or maybe just not as impressed as I'd hoped.  Its fine, and way better than IE, but FF is still my browser of choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

We've been using it for months - I don't want to go back to IE.  We've been using it at work on the classified network and it's interesting to see the difference when you use IE and FF side-by-side. 

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2009, 01:12:07 AM
I tried chrome recently.  Seeing as I've drunk the Google Kool-Aid about as deeply as I can (Google Apps, Android G1, etc.), rumor had it Gmail was faster on Chrome.

I was somewhat disappointed, or maybe just not as impressed as I'd hoped.  Its fine, and way better than IE, but FF is still my browser of choice.

Some of the things I like about Chrome:

1) It appears to load everything much faster, especially anything having to do with Java.
2) The uncluttered interface.
3) "Incognito Mode"
4) The ability to use the development build instead of the production build (neat to see the features they're thinking about).

We have a lot of applications at work that were specifically designed to run on IE.  Ironically, they run faster, better and more efficiently on Chrome.  IE seems to have a lot of baggage with it and has a hard time with memory allocation and buffering.

I can't stand IE, at all.  So FF or Chrome and anyone should be happy.  Thinking about trying Safari though...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

I went to Firefox a few months ago after putting up with IE and all its crap for years. It's been really nice, my internet is actually fast again, and I love the built in spell checker.

My only real gripe is when it comes to opening and downloading files. Firefox likes to take everything and stick in my temp folder, rather than let me decide where it is going to go from the start, or let me open the file without actually saving it... There may be some way around that I haven't discovered yet, I don't know...

Pumbaa

Tools|Options

Main Tab

Download Options.  you can choose the download folder, or have it ask you each time.

You can turn on or off the download status dialog box too.

DC

Quote from: Pumbaa on June 20, 2009, 09:36:30 PM
Tools|Options

Main Tab

Download Options.  you can choose the download folder, or have it ask you each time.

You can turn on or off the download status dialog box too.
Thanks!

SaBeR33

Here are a few add-ons that I've found to be really useful:

CoolPreviews http://coolpreviews.com/

KeyScrambler http://www.qfxsoftware.com/

FoxClocks (if you need to know the time in multiple time zones)

BrandonKea

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 20, 2009, 03:16:48 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2009, 01:12:07 AM

Some of the things I like about Chrome:

1) It appears to load everything much faster, especially anything having to do with Java.
2) The uncluttered interface.
3) "Incognito Mode"
4) The ability to use the development build instead of the production build (neat to see the features they're thinking about).

We have a lot of applications at work that were specifically designed to run on IE.  Ironically, they run faster, better and more efficiently on Chrome.  IE seems to have a lot of baggage with it and has a hard time with memory allocation and buffering.

I can't stand IE, at all.  So FF or Chrome and anyone should be happy.  Thinking about trying Safari though...

Safari isn't horrible (at least on a Mac, no clue on the PC version). It's fairly snappy, it just lacking in the add on department.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP