Uniform violations - Ma Blue is cracking down!

Started by AlphaSigOU, June 01, 2009, 06:39:56 PM

O-Rex

Running with no shirt on-Null issue: if a CAP member is actually running, the attaboy would cancel the citation.

Socks-I hear that more and more bases are conducting 'random sock checks' at entrance gates...

All jokes aside, I've seen a number of editorials by USAF personnel, mostly SNCO's in AF Times and various websites that general MC&C and uniform wear has been a bit lax of late. 

I think another factor is the increase in "jointness" with the other services, and the influence and/or contrast by/with the other services' cultures, particularly in the sandbox.

BrandonKea

MC&C lax in the Air Force? No way!

Personally, that's a pet peeve of mine. From several of my AD friends, the C&C ends once you leave Tech School. From there, not many people actually care. Obviously this may be a bit overstated, YMMV.

While on a SAREVAL in a neighboring wing, we had a Cadet assigned to our Ground Team who was very C&C aware. Haven't heard that many Sirs from a Cadet since my first basic encampment in '00... (Kudos IAWG for the sharp cadets...)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2009, 10:57:54 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on June 02, 2009, 07:52:51 AMEating and drinking while walking.  Gotta admit I sometimes I have trouble walking and chewing gum but that's after I had a few.

That's been frowned upon in the Canoe Club for what seems like eons, specifically in the same style environment. We had folks get busted for that WIWABT. The same went for smoking.

OK, so you're in close quarters on a ship that's pitching up and down in rough seas.  I would hope that common sense would dictate to stay clear and brass yourself while drinking.  But on terra firma??

Another case of Uncle Sam over reacting and over protecting his "children" in a closed environment.

Fifinella

The "walking and..." prohibitions have been part of the AF for a long time.  Rationale given: doesn't look professional, distracts you from your surroundings, you might fail to render appropriate C&C if you're busy eating, etc.  "That's the fact, Jack."
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DC

Quote from: Grumpy on June 02, 2009, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2009, 10:57:54 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on June 02, 2009, 07:52:51 AMEating and drinking while walking.  Gotta admit I sometimes I have trouble walking and chewing gum but that's after I had a few.

That's been frowned upon in the Canoe Club for what seems like eons, specifically in the same style environment. We had folks get busted for that WIWABT. The same went for smoking.

OK, so you're in close quarters on a ship that's pitching up and down in rough seas.  I would hope that common sense would dictate to stay clear and brass yourself while drinking.  But on terra firma??

Another case of Uncle Sam over reacting and over protecting his "children" in a closed environment.
Oh I don't know, all those stain-seeking white uniforms might discourage one from moving and eating/drinking at the same time...

Grumpy

Quote from: Fifinella on June 02, 2009, 04:10:29 PM
The "walking and..." prohibitions have been part of the AF for a long time.  Rationale given: doesn't look professional, distracts you from your surroundings, you might fail to render appropriate C&C if you're busy eating, etc.  "That's the fact, Jack."

I don't know.  I got along just fine for 22 years (active and reserve).  Besides, as I read the C&C's if you're unable to render a hand salute a verbal greeting is acceptable.

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: Stonewall on June 02, 2009, 02:19:36 AM
Quote from: es_g0d on June 02, 2009, 01:39:32 AM
I'll take the sunglasses off of my head when I never maintenance cancel a flight ...  :D

I do my best to stay in regs when in my AF uniform.  But during a 12 week TDY last year and a 2 week this year, I had to be corrected about wearing my sunglasses on my head at least 20 times.  It's a habit I just can't seem to break.  I live and work at a beach, it's just natural.

When we visited NHQ at E-Tech last year, I had a staff member there remind me to take my glasses off my head. The funny thing is there were three of us with glasses on our head and she only told me.   ::) Oh well, my mistake and I haven't made it again.

Also, is it kosher to have glasses on backwards and upsidedown; as if you rotated (pitch-wise) it along your head until they were pointed behind you? I learned it from another member, and while it does work well for what its meant for, I'm not entirely sure that its legal.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

BrandonKea

Quote from: CAP.is.1337 on June 09, 2009, 04:49:46 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on June 02, 2009, 02:19:36 AM
Quote from: es_g0d on June 02, 2009, 01:39:32 AM
I'll take the sunglasses off of my head when I never maintenance cancel a flight ...  :D

I do my best to stay in regs when in my AF uniform.  But during a 12 week TDY last year and a 2 week this year, I had to be corrected about wearing my sunglasses on my head at least 20 times.  It's a habit I just can't seem to break.  I live and work at a beach, it's just natural.

When we visited NHQ at E-Tech last year, I had a staff member there remind me to take my glasses off my head. The funny thing is there were three of us with glasses on our head and she only told me.   ::) Oh well, my mistake and I haven't made it again.

Also, is it kosher to have glasses on backwards and upsidedown; as if you rotated (pitch-wise) it along your head until they were pointed behind you? I learned it from another member, and while it does work well for what its meant for, I'm not entirely sure that its legal.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's probably not kosher either...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

LtCol057

And no, you can't hang them by a cord around your neck. 

Polecat

Could someone provide a link to the reg that says you cannot walk and talk on a phone on an AFB?  I was at an airshow this past weekend and the SF got PO'ed at some of our cadets for doing that, and my C/CC wondered why and I told him and he didn't belive me.

Grumpy

Quote from: Polecat on June 10, 2009, 08:23:11 PM
Could someone provide a link to the reg that says you cannot walk and talk on a phone on an AFB?  I was at an airshow this past weekend and the SF got PO'ed at some of our cadets for doing that, and my C/CC wondered why and I told him and he didn't belive me.

Don't forget the bit about walking and chewing gum at the same time.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Polecat on June 10, 2009, 08:23:11 PM

AFI 36-2903, chapter 1, para 1.3 (emphasis mine):

Quote1.3. Individuals' Responsibilities.

1.3.1. To present a professional military image individual will:

1.3.1.1. Procure and maintain all mandatory clothing items.

1.3.1.2. Review and follow local supplements and procedures.

1.3.1.3. Uniforms will be neat, clean, pressed, buttoned, and properly maintained.

1.3.2. Members will not:

1.3.2.1. Stand or walk with hands in pockets of any uniform combination, other than to insert or remove items.

1.3.2.2. Walk in uniform while using cell phones, radios, hands-free headsets unless required in the performance of official duties using a government issued device.

1.3.2.3. Smoke/use smokeless tobaccos, drink, or eat while walking in uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

N Harmon

AFI-36-2903

• Backpack/bag on the right shoulder

Apparently because it interferes with rendering a salute. Does AFI-36-2903 apply wholly to Civil Air Patrol members?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

N Harmon

Quote from: Grumpy on June 02, 2009, 07:52:51 AM
What happens if a SF dude has to use the radio while in pursuit of a felon?  Does he have to stop?  Will the felon stop and wait for him?

The reg actually says:

Members will not walk in uniform while using cell phones, radios, hands-free headsets unless required in the performance of official duties using a government issued device.

Of course, the reg ALSO says....

Must be solid or covered in black, silver, dark blue, or gray, and must be conservative. May be clipped to the left side of the waistband or purse or carried in left hand. Only one may be worn on the uniform belt.

I guess I can't carry my bright yellow Samsung rugby cellphone.

Polecat

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: N Harmon on June 10, 2009, 11:24:09 PM
AFI-36-2903

• Backpack/bag on the right shoulder

Apparently because it interferes with rendering a salute. Does AFI-36-2903 apply wholly to Civil Air Patrol members?

If you wear AF-style uniforms, especially within a USAF installation I would be very aware of AFI 36-2903; remember that the the wear of the AF style uniform by CAP is a privilege.  Ma Blue giveth, Ma Blue can taketh away...
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

N Harmon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 11, 2009, 01:07:14 AMIf you wear AF-style uniforms, especially within a USAF installation I would be very aware of AFI 36-2903; remember that the the wear of the AF style uniform by CAP is a privilege.  Ma Blue giveth, Ma Blue can taketh away...

So we should begin telling CAP members to only bring certain color backpacks , cell phones, and umbrellas?

PHall

Quote from: N Harmon on June 11, 2009, 01:16:05 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 11, 2009, 01:07:14 AMIf you wear AF-style uniforms, especially within a USAF installation I would be very aware of AFI 36-2903; remember that the the wear of the AF style uniform by CAP is a privilege.  Ma Blue giveth, Ma Blue can taketh away...

So we should begin telling CAP members to only bring certain color backpacks , cell phones, and umbrellas?

If you're doing something on an Active Duty Air Force Base? Might be something to think about...

Stonewall

In reference to the cell phone thing, check out the thread I started about the 98th Uniform Board.

It is now authorized to talk on a cell phone in uniform.

Can't hyper link it because I'm on my Crackberry.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

But you can't walk and use a hands-free device. WTF?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040