Uniform violations - Ma Blue is cracking down!

Started by AlphaSigOU, June 01, 2009, 06:39:56 PM

AlphaSigOU

From an e-mail message sent to an AF guy stationed at Lackland AFB:

All,

FYI/FYA. As the 37th TRW prepares for their upcoming inspection they are taking a hard look at individuals for compliance with uniform/appearance rules as well as other common customs and courtesies. There are personnel on the lookout for individuals violating the rules. Violators are being written up and handed tickets for violations. I don't expect any of you are violating the rules but below is a list of infractions from the ticket (most, but not all, pertain to while in uniform):

AFI-36-2903

• Pockets unbuttoned

• Hat on indoors

• Hat off outdoors

• Hands in pockets

• Walking/talking on cell phone

• Eating and drinking while walking

• Glasses on top of the head

• Jogging with headphones

• Items sticking out of cargo pocket

• Unserviceable uniform items

• Backpack/bag on the right shoulder

• ABU hat ranger rolled

• Not wearing a required uniform item

• Unauthorized uniform item

• Unauthorized hair items (female)

• Hair not in standards

• Driving and talking on cell phone

• Running with no shirt on (males)

• Trousers improperly bloused

• Unauthorized colored socks

• Unauthorized color T-shirt

• Unauthorized jewelry

• Customs/courtesies

• Not saluting officer

• Not saluting a staff car

• Disrespect to national anthem

• Failing to stand for a officer

Not on the ticket but passed to me by the 37 TRW Command Chief's office:

• Failing to pay proper respect during the service medley played at 1200 on Fridays

This is a matter of great importance to the 37 TRW for their inspection but proper wear of the uniform and observance of customs and courtesies should be as natural as breathing to all of us.

R/

Col *****

I'm assuming they're passing out AETC Form 341s (Excellence/Discrepancy Report) to trainees and probably ticketing permanent party members. As for us CAP members, they might not ticket you but could report you up the chain of command to the local squadron, and that squadron could lose its on base privileges!

This also applies to CAP members wearing a military-style uniform (AF-style, TPU and grays). Granted, Lackland AFB, aka 'Happy Valley' (as are most 'Air Etcetera' (AETC) bases) discipline is strict because of the training environment, but don't wind up being the poster boy/girl for Ma Blue for improper uniform wear.

Some bases (such as Lackland) play a medley of the service songs at 1200 hours on Friday; protocol requires the following:

QuoteWhen you hear "The Air Force Song" or the songs of the sister services, take the following actions:

Indoors: In uniform or civilian clothes, stand at attention. Traditionally only the first verse of the service song is played or sung. If at an official ceremony the words for the first verse normally will be printed in the program when it is a part of the ceremony.

Outdoors: In uniform or civilian clothes, stand at attention and face the direction of the music from the first to last note of the music. DO NOT SALUTE. The same courtesy is rendered to sister service songs.

Lest we lose the privilege of wearing the AF-style uniform...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AirAux

Considering probably less than 1 percent of us on the board are near Lackland, we will take all due measures immediately..  That is all..  Wolf, wolf, wolf..

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: AirAux on June 01, 2009, 06:50:22 PM
Considering probably less than 1 percent of us on the board are near Lackland, we will take all due measures immediately..  That is all..  Wolf, wolf, wolf..

True that, but better to get the heads up to all.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Tubacap

Not on topic, I apologize, but related, are we supposed to stand when the USAF song is played?  Is it in the new CAPP 151?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Tubacap on June 01, 2009, 07:14:03 PM
Not on topic, I apologize, but related, are we supposed to stand when the USAF song is played?  Is it in the new CAPP 151?

Not in CAPP 151 nor in the new 'Respect on Display', but it is one of these 'traditions' that is being observed at some military installations.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Climbnsink

Don't mind rendering honors where appropriate and I love the golf shirt.   Wear a golf shirt and most of that list doesn't apply.  Go golf shirt. >:D

Pumbaa

JohnKachenmeister

It has been a long tradition to stand for official service songs.

And to sing them.

NO, it is not in CAPP 151.  But you are a big jerk if you don't.
Another former CAP officer

BrandonKea

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 01, 2009, 10:22:39 PM

And to sing them.

Can you imagine half the CAP population trying to fake the words to the Air Force Song?  :D
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Eeyore

No need to fake it, compared to the other services, the AF song is pretty easy to learn.

BrandonKea

Quote from: edmo1 on June 01, 2009, 10:37:02 PM
No need to fake it, compared to the other services, the AF song is pretty easy to learn.

And it's real easy to follow 39-1, doesn't mean everyone does/will/wants to.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Always Ready

Quote from: BrandonKea on June 01, 2009, 10:35:35 PM

And to sing them.

Can you imagine half the CAP population trying to fake the words to the Air Force Song?  :D

That's not as bad as the amount of people in the Air Force who fake the words to the Air Force Song.  >:D

A friend of mine sent me the same e-mail. He seriously thought it was a joke. I'm glad someone in Mama Blue is trying to crack down on some of the uniform shenanigans. But I have a feeling that this venture at Lackland will only last until the inspection is over.

Stonewall

Had to learn the AF song in 1987 at my Dooley Encampment.
Serving since 1987.

es_g0d

Over-concern with such administrivia is commonplace at Lackland; its the bread and butter there.

Unfortunately, that culture permeates downrange where it causes operational difficulties.

I'll take the sunglasses off of my head when I never maintenance cancel a flight ...  :D
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

Stonewall

Quote from: es_g0d on June 02, 2009, 01:39:32 AM
I'll take the sunglasses off of my head when I never maintenance cancel a flight ...  :D

I do my best to stay in regs when in my AF uniform.  But during a 12 week TDY last year and a 2 week this year, I had to be corrected about wearing my sunglasses on my head at least 20 times.  It's a habit I just can't seem to break.  I live and work at a beach, it's just natural.
Serving since 1987.

♠SARKID♠

And to sing them.

Am I a big jerk if I don't sing "CAP is on the Go"?   :P

Gunner C

Grumpy

Hmmm, let's take a look at a couple of these felonies:

Walking while talking on a cell phone.  Obviously the new AF isn't coordinated enough to do this.  Do they have SF personnel take you by the hand and lead you across the street too?  What happens if a SF dude has to use the radio while in pursuit of a felon?  Does he have to stop?  Will the felon stop and wait for him?

Eating and drinking while walking.  Gotta admit I sometimes I have trouble walking and chewing gum but that's after I had a few.

Running without a shirt.  Was this while wearing some type of uniform or in civies?  What kind of prudes are running the AF now days?  God I miss SAC

wingnut55

GUNNER C

Is that a NEW CAP UNIFORM?

COOL DUDE

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on June 02, 2009, 07:52:51 AMEating and drinking while walking.  Gotta admit I sometimes I have trouble walking and chewing gum but that's after I had a few.

That's been frowned upon in the Canoe Club for what seems like eons, specifically in the same style environment. We had folks get busted for that WIWABT. The same went for smoking.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret