Pushing Out Sorties

Started by Ranger75, May 31, 2009, 10:37:25 PM

Tubacap

One thing that I have found particularly helpful in donig this is knowing what resources are there and what tasks need accomplished.  Ranger seems to have made up some Word forms which I would love a copy of!  I made some T-Cards that aren't in the shape of a T and when an asset comes in, I fill out the card.  Then I fill out another card with tasks.  Put a row of task cards up and then put the asset assigned to the task under the task.  It's the same as any other T-Card system, except I only paid $20 for the materials for mine.

Every else is also very correct in saying that pre-planning out sorties with 104s and 109s really speeds things up.  Whether or not your pre-lay out the actual task or the aircrew information, that's half of the form that doesn't need to be done during a briefing.

There is no reason that I can think of that you should be doing any Planning for the operational period you are in at a SAREX, GTE, or SAREVAL.  The inbrief for the later are the night before usually, and you have as much time as you need for SAREXs.  Put the plans together ahead of time, use the right forms, and hold briefings with your Command and General Staff on a regular basis so that they are all focused and life should be good.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Ranger75

Within MDWG, each of the three groups is funded for at least one group SAREX during the training year.  This is in addition to wing-level SAREXs each quarter.  The general rule is that wing SAREXs are scenario driven, with the intent of maximizing training and exercising of incident command and staff.  Taining of aircrews and teams is secondary.  Group-level exercises are SQTR focused.  The intent is to task crews and teams with specific mission tasks intended to maximize individual sign-offs.  If an individual needs specific training and a sign off on the conduct of a parallell line search, that is the mission assigned to that crew and we throw onboard a MS(T) needing a sign-off on scanning techniques and the completion of a sortie.  Participation in group executed SAREXs is normally open to all wing members.  I won't say it works to perfection, but it does contribute significantly to attaining the the mission qualification obejectives we establish as part of our annual training plan self-evaluation.

Ranger75

Tubacap -- I'd be glad to post my products to the forum, but as I'm not a prolific contributor, I have not hit that magic number of 100 posts to enable me to do so.  Pass me a PM and I'll respond with several examples.  --  Regards

Tubacap

Ranger. that sounds like a great way of doing training.  Does MDWG have a written training plan?

I attached the t-card file I made.  I just print it on blue colored paper for aircrews and green for ground teams.  Then I cut it into the three sections and good to go!
NER-PA-001

Short Field

Quote from: Tubacap on June 02, 2009, 06:39:48 PM
There is no reason that I can think of that you should be doing any Planning for the operational period you are in at a SAREX, GTE, or SAREVAL. 

Outside of the old "train like you fight" adage? 

On a SAREX, there is no excuse for not having the taskings for the first launch of sorties ready before anyone arrives at mission base.  However, if you have everything planned and completed in advance, then what are you training people on?  You really don't want to be training crews that they have hours in which to mission plan.  Same goes for the mission base staff.  If the AOBD is taking 45 minutes to brief a mission (one crew/one airplane/one task), then he needs to learn to speed it up.  Same for everyone else. 

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Tubacap

^ I concur, that's what injects are for though.  If you have the personnel to have a separate scenario team, they can throw curves to the mission base staff.  If not, have the IC do it.  This way, everyone gets training.  There are times when you need to practice Initial Reflex Taskings or Hasty Searches, but only long after you've become comfortable going through the planning P.
NER-PA-001

Ranger75

Tubacap  --  I have forwarded the PSC presentation tables/charts to another forum member to post on my behalf.  Also, MDWG's annual training program is put together as one long calendar running the length of a wall at wing headquarters.  It eventually makes its way to the wing web site for dissemination to our members. 

RiverAux

QuoteOn a SAREX, there is no excuse for not having the taskings for the first launch of sorties ready before anyone arrives at mission base.
For a normal SAREX I agree, but with SAREVALS they tend to not give you enough information to be able to do that. 

cap235629

Quote from: davidsinn on June 02, 2009, 03:57:13 PM

I have already come to that conclusion after I was promised a sortie later in the day that never developed. However I haven't been able to make it to a SAREX since. I can't afford to pay for the fuel to get to the aircraft nor to fuel it. The whole purpose of SAREX's is to train.

I beg to differ.

The purpose of the SAREX is to EXERCISE our mission capabilities.  Your unit is responsible for training you so you can be a functional player in the SAREX.

I hear this all the time on the ground team side of the house.  Cadets complain that they did not receive any training while at the SAREX.  Well, if they were not trained in the tasks necessary, they should not have been sent to the SAREX.  The only thing a trainee should expect to have signed off on a SAREX is the mission participation part of the SQTR.  Everything else should be acomplished before they arrive. 

Our wing holds training in all command staff roles as well and this is how it is done even for IC's.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

davidsinn

Quote from: cap235629 on June 03, 2009, 04:03:43 AM
  Your unit is responsible for training you so you can be a functional player in the SAREX.

I'm gonna address this in PM to stop from further dragging the discussion off course.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Stonewall

Quote from: Ranger75 on June 02, 2009, 08:26:38 PM
Tubacap -- I'd be glad to post my products to the forum, but as I'm not a prolific contributor, I have not hit that magic number of 100 posts to enable me to do so.  Pass me a PM and I'll respond with several examples.  --  Regards

Quote from: Ranger75 on June 02, 2009, 08:26:38 PMStonewall  --  Once again, I've been blocked from posting an attachment to CAPTalk due to a low post count.  So, I'll ask you to post the attached documents on my behalf.  They represent a number of presentation charts I utilize while acting as PSC and mentioned in the "Pushing Out Sorties" thread.  Tubacap requested that they be posted.  Thanks for the assist. - Ranger75

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

And one more on behalf of Ranger75 (only 4 allowed per post)...
Serving since 1987.

Ranger75

Kirt  --  Thanks  --  Jim

Tubacap

Ranger, good job on those charts!  It seems we have the exact same idea just in two different formats!
NER-PA-001