Cadet Promotion Scripts

Started by CadetProgramGuy, May 29, 2009, 08:57:03 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Ok, Been looking, can't find it for the life of me.

Does anyone have a copy of the Cadet Promotions Scripts that used to be on National HQ's Site?

Over Half of their Best Practices are dead links.....

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

CadetProgramGuy

Yes, but no....

somewhere I found promotions scripts for each acheivement.  Somthing like this....

Curry -

ATTN TO ORDERS

Airman Basic ** Front and Center

Order #01-01

Airman Basic ** for completion of Acheivement 1 of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program, you are hereby awarded the Rank of  Cadet Airman.

For completion of Acheivement 1, this cadet has completed testing of his/her physical fitness, Leadership Knowledge, and Moral Leadership.  for completion of Acheivement 1, Cadet Airman ** is hereby awarded the Major General John F Curry Ribbon, with all rights and honor contained within this promotion.

Signed,

Amy Courtier, BG, CAP

DC

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on May 29, 2009, 06:07:14 PM
Yes, but no....

somewhere I found promotions scripts for each acheivement.  Somthing like this....

Curry -

ATTN TO ORDERS

Airman Basic ** Front and Center

Order #01-01

Airman Basic ** for completion of Acheivement 1 of the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program, you are hereby awarded the Rank of  Cadet Airman.

For completion of Acheivement 1, this cadet has completed testing of his/her physical fitness, Leadership Knowledge, and Moral Leadership.  for completion of Acheivement 1, Cadet Airman ** is hereby awarded the Major General John F Curry Ribbon, with all rights and honor contained within this promotion.

Signed,

Amy Courtier, BG, CAP

Personally I think that's a little over-dramatic, but okay.. I wouldn't use Gen. Courter's signature without her permission either. The SQ/CC's would be fine, since they are the promoting authority for nearly all cadet promotions (C/Col and the Spaatz being the only exception I'm aware of).

jimmydeanno

Quote from: DC on May 29, 2009, 06:15:02 PM
The SQ/CC's would be fine, since they are the promoting authority for nearly all cadet promotions

I'd agree here, even the promotion orders for my wife to be appointed to 2d Lt in the USAF are signed by her local detachment commander.

The only other thing I could see is it getting rather redundant after the first one or two cadets.  My unit had 13 cadet promotions last night, I don't think anyone would have wanted to listen to that for 20 minutes...

I think it is a nice gesture for the milestones, but routine promotions (while they are all significant) can be handled a little more routinely, no?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BrandonKea

We don't use a script, but usually the commander says a few words, and the cadet gets to recite the Cadet Oath before being pinned on.

I've only ever seen/heard of "scripts" for the Milestones...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

NEBoom

At my old unit, we had a "generic" script that we used for all the "routine" promotions.  I can't remember it exactly but it went something like this:

"All necessary requirements for Achievement #___, the _________ Award, have been completed by Cadet __________, for promotion to the rank of ___________."

I know that's not exactly right, but you get the idea.  Gives appropriate recognition, but is quick and to-the-point.

Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

Capt_Redfox30

The unit I was in as a cadet and when I took over as a squadron commander I used the CAPF 52-1,2,3,4 and read the block of (Reading the appropriate grade obviously)

"I certify that all requirements of the Maj Gen John F. Curry Achievement have been completed, the cadet is a current member in good standing, is capable of accepting the increased responsibility of this grade, and is hereby promoted to cadet airman."

It was quick and simple and explained to the guests what the entire ceremony was about. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Always Ready

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 29, 2009, 06:32:06 PM
The only other thing I could see is it getting rather redundant after the first one or two cadets.  My unit had 13 cadet promotions last night, I don't think anyone would have wanted to listen to that for 20 minutes...

It happens all the time at my unit. I'm not for it, except for certain promotions (i.e. milestones). ...oh and to give you an idea how long this takes, for six cadet promotions, it will take roughly 20 minutes total (includes script, pinning on, clapping, etc.).

For each achievement and milestone award, someone reads a 5-10 sentence paragraph that describes what the cadet had to do to earn the promotion/achievement/award, what they are expected to be doing at that level, and a few other things. Here's the gist of one (this isn't exactly what it says):

Cadet ___, has recently meet the requirements to be promoted to Cadet (Grade/Rank). In order to receive such a honor, they had to attend a moral leadership class, take a leadership and aerospace education test, and pass a physical fitness test. At this point in the program, they are eligible to become (for example) a flight commander. The duties of flight commander are blah, blah-blah, blah...blah. They are now eligible to wear the ____ Ribbon. Congrats on completing the ____ Achievement/Award!

As I said, that was just the jist of it. I'll see if any of the Cadet Programs folks in my squadron will send me a copy of it so I can post it on here. Don't expect anything though...they are FOUO nazis ;)

BrandonKea

Quote from: Always Ready on May 30, 2009, 07:37:57 AM
Don't expect anything though...they are FOUO nazis ;)

Woah buddy, you better just go redact your whole post there, FOUO and all...  ;D
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 29, 2009, 06:32:06 PM
Quote from: DC on May 29, 2009, 06:15:02 PM
The SQ/CC's would be fine, since they are the promoting authority for nearly all cadet promotions

I'd agree here, even the promotion orders for my wife to be appointed to 2d Lt in the USAF are signed by her local detachment commander.

I think it is a nice gesture for the milestones, but routine promotions (while they are all significant) can be handled a little more routinely, no?

When you have more multiple cadets getting 'pinned' you just bring them all up at once, say the script once, and pin individually.

The script I had at one time had the former Nat/CC name on it, that why I used the current, but I agree I will use the Sq/CC name from now on.

Eeyore

When we do the cadet promotions we have someone read the promotion order/script for each achievement as we are pinning and shaking hands with the cadet. The timing works out perfectly (might just be dumb luck for us). Once we are done pinning, the script moves on to the next achievement being awarded and we move on to the next pinning.

If we have multiple cadets receiving the same rank there is some time in there where nothing is being read and we are just pinning.

Seems to work well, each achievements script is a bit different so that it doesn't get repetitive. This way there is something to listen to as well as something to watch (parents seem to enjoy it).

As far as I'm concerned, every promotion for cadets are important, every achievement gets something read. It doesn't take any longer than just pinning them, and even when there are a lot of cadets promoting, we have never had the ceremony take more than 10 minutes (not including milestones like the Mitchell).

One thing that does keep our pinning on the shorter end is not worrying about the 'frogs'. We pull all of them off before we start and have the cadets pick them up at the end of the ceremony.

CadetProgramGuy

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040