Main Menu

PSA: Punctuation

Started by Polecat, May 28, 2009, 06:40:25 PM

Polecat

Boop. Boop. Boop. This is a public service announcement!

Please use proper punctuation when posting. If you are asking a question use a question mark, if you are making a statement please use a period, and if you are making and exited statement please use an exclamation point.

These are question marks: ? ? ? ? ?
These are periods: . . . . . .
These are exclamation points/marks: ! ! ! ! ! !

That is all.
Boop. Boop. Boop.

Smithsonia

Polecat.
You've misspelled the word proper (spell check is good) and please check the proper use of ellipsis: the punctuation ... (three periods)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Auxpilot

u guys have waayy to much time on ur hands ;D

perhaps I could suggest a volunterr organization u could join >:D

Polecat

Quote from: Smithsonia on May 28, 2009, 06:47:34 PM
Polecat.
You've misspelled the word proper (spell check is good) and please check the proper use of ellipsis: the punctuation ... (three periods)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Thank you for pointing out that I misspelled proper.  I would us ethe spell check but, it isn't working.
I looked at the ellipsis and didn't see where I should use them, would you point that out please?  I am just advocating the use of basic punctuation, not trying to start punctuation and grammar wars. If i were trying to start those I would point out that you should have started your message like this:

Polecat,

Blah blah blah.

Not:

Polecat.

Blah blah blah.

I do belive it should be a comma not a period. ;D

capchiro

Polecat,

You also misused the word "and" when you meant "an", such as in and excited statement, should have read an excited statement.

Carry on.

Boop, Boop, Boop.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Polecat

I am not claiming to be an expert, just wanting to remind people of BASIC punctuation.  I know we all make mistakes, and I make them too.  My attitude was friendly when I wrote this, I was not intending for it to turn into a grammar fight.  I think that we should present a professional image even on the internet. Feel free to rip apart this post for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Have fun! Thanks all.

BrandonKea

You are correct, we should all present a professional image, even on the internet. That being said, this isn't Grammar School. Obviously some people may neglect a comma here and there, or misuse a period. For the most part, we can understand what is being said. There's no need to put a "PSA" out on the board reminding people what commas, periods, etc., are used for.

Can we vote for a lock on this?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Polecat

Sorry then, I am all for a lock.  I just noticed a rash of bad grammar recently and just wanted to make a reminder/complaint.  Sorry if this was a stupid waste of time. I meant it all as a friendly reminder otherwise I wouldn't have made it in the silly PSA format. Lock please.

Smithsonia

Polecat;
There is formal and informal communications. Although, we should always attempt to do what is right in all cases - Informal communications is more forgiving and most often practiced on this site.

Official communications by PAOs, write ups for promotions, commanders to higher authority, press releases, etc. require more attention to detail. When correcting others - no matter if it is on this website, in a squadron meeting; or life - might I suggest that you consider a more formal presentation template.

I have remained informal in my presentation.  Indicating the need for formality is good. Not practicing what you preach is hypocritical. Spell check is working fine for me.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

whatevah

Thanks for the effort.  A self-policing user base is something to strive for (in moderation).  Locked as requested. As you were! :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin