CAP Band! What are your thoughts?

Started by biomed441, May 24, 2009, 10:50:54 PM

biomed441

So this is something I've had on my mind ever since I was a cadet. There are plenty of cadets and seniors alike with musical talent.  Many have performed at a high school level, some in the college and DCI (Drum Corps Internation) echelon.  I'm sure there may even be a few professionals and teachers out there as well.

Anyways my thought was with all of that talent floating around, how about the CAP take advantage of this and form its own marching and/or concert band (Assuming there isn't one already). 

I know there are a lot of things that have to be taken into concideration to get something like this started, but I would like to know what some of your thoughts are. If there are any CAPTalkers with a musical background, your input would be greatly appreciated.

My general thoughts are forming a marching band either on the wing or National level, possibly regional. Likely a summer activity, similar to how many cities have community bands during the summer. 

Hoorah

Run it up the chain of command to CAC thats the best way to get it done with.

biomed441

I'm quite familiar with how to run things up the chain of command. My point right now is to see what the CAPTalkers have to say.  I will likely run it by the CAC at the next wing meeting though. 

Bringing up the topic here, allows people in other wings, who might have an interest, to bring it up with their own chain of command.  Plus im offering the idea to seniors as well. Not just as a cadet activity.

Hoorah

I know  a few people that are doing something simmiliar but for pt.

biomed441

Interesting thought for PT lol.  Actually, back in my high school days we recieved PE credit for marching band so I can see how that works.

Hoorah

Quote from: Captainbob441 on May 24, 2009, 11:06:44 PM
Interesting thought for PT lol.  Actually, back in my high school days we recieved PE credit for marching band so I can see how that works.
Some suggestions are stting up a facebook account if you dont already have one and ask them they might have insight to or might actually give you poeple to use.

biomed441

Also not a bad idea. Though i'll stress again that right now im not concerned about figuring out how to start one, but more or less seeing if there's infact enough people with interest, that it would be a feasable use of my time and resources to begin the process at all.

My personal hopes are that there are some individuals interested in either helping the formation process, or individuals willing to participate in such an activity.  If there isn't much of a market then I don't want to be wasting my time.

Hoorah

Quote from: Captainbob441 on May 24, 2009, 11:14:58 PM
Also not a bad idea. Though i'll stress again that right now im not concerned about figuring out how to start one, but more or less seeing if there's infact enough people with interest, that it would be a feasable use of my time and resources to begin the process at all.

My personal hopes are that there are some individuals interested in either helping the formation process, or individuals willing to participate in such an activity.  If there isn't much of a market then I don't want to be wasting my time.
Yeah  I see.

PHall

IIRC, Maryland Wing has or had a band, I don't know if it's still active.
But that's the only CAP Band I have heard of.

Pumbaa

biomed441

Blues would be an appropriate uniform for something like this.  Althought, I have seen military bands in BDU's so thats a likely possibility as well.

For those that do not meet requirments for the blue AF style uniform, then I can see having a polo combination for a senior only group.  Creating an entirely new uniform for it would be a waste of money.

biomed441

Quote from: PHall on May 24, 2009, 11:24:01 PM

I thought I recalled seeing a picture or two of a CAP band at some point. Possibly it was them.

Rotorhead

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 24, 2009, 10:52:24 PM
Um run it up the chain of command to CAC thats the best way to get it done with.
People will take you more seriously if you stop writing "um" at the beginning of your posts.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Hoorah

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 24, 2009, 11:53:41 PM
Um run it up the chain of command to CAC thats the best way to get it done with.
People will take you more seriously if you stop writing "um" at the beginning of your posts.
Sorry.

Pingree1492

There used to be a National Special Activity that was a band or band-related.  Our squadron sent a cadet to it back in the 2002-2004 time-frame.  I looked at the current activities listed, and I'm either blind, or they don't have it anymore.

My guess is that there wasn't enough interest/funding to keep the activity going, though I don't know for sure what happened to it.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

Always Ready

Quote from: Captainbob441 on May 24, 2009, 11:48:59 PM

I thought I recalled seeing a picture or two of a CAP band at some point. Possibly it was them.

Here's what I found with a quick search:

MDWG Band linky 1

MDWG Band linky 2

biomed441

Seems MDWG has a good start.  Having a Wing defined Director of music would be a big help in getting programs started in other wings.

As for the special activity mentioned before, the reason it probably went under is like stated, interest and funding.  As a specialy activity, it is very limited.  Band programs have to start locally to work. 

Example from the public schools band system:  You can't have a National honor band, until you have a state or region honor band to draw from. And you cant have a state or region honor band until you have high schools and jr. highs to draw from. And high schools dont work well unless they have students who started in elementary school or by private instruction.

Transfer that to CAP, a national cadet activity involving band might have worked had there been group/state bands that could spread the word about the national activity and encourage their cadets to continue.

If you really want to go the extra mile in terms of getting cadets into a program, make a ribbon for it that they can earn for being part of a band. 

USADOD

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 24, 2009, 11:53:41 PM

and spell "talent" correctly.  :P  I agree, run it pass CAC and perhaps try it locally at your squadron to get a ideal of how to integrate it into CAP.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

biomed441

My squadron isn't the best place to test things, though I'll be brining it up with the CAC and Wing staff likely in a few weeks.

Spike

Pennsylvania Wing started a Band.  Then Maryland members stole it (decided to start their own).  Now there is none if I remember correctly. 

I think either Maryland or Pennsylvania had a "Band Encampment" where Cadets got encampment credit for attending.  Cool idea......