Epaulets...whats the truth?

Started by biomed441, May 22, 2009, 09:09:15 AM

Eclipse

Those are two reasons I discourage new members from going to service dress before 2d Lt - holes in your collar (yeah, I know self-healing shirts), and having to buy a second service cap in 6 months.

"That Others May Zoom"

biomed441

Thats not a bad Idea when your SM's can afford the other uniforms. I'm an unemployed college student. I can't even afford a polo from vanguard, let alone anything else. ROTC was kind enough to let me hang onto my blues and BDU's so thats what I have to work with.   

Eclipse

The majority of new members, especially seniors, come to the table with nothing, so despite the fact that 39-1 mandates they buy and wear the aviator whites as their basic uniform, I generally encourage new members to get a golf shirt to wear with existing pants and shoes until they know if they like CAP.

$17-35 depending on what they buy.

"That Others May Zoom"

biomed441

In my personal case, its much cheaper to just get a new flight cap to wear for a few more months.  Still wont help my, getting confused with being a cadet issue though.  :P But, I guess I can survive that for a little while. Still I like your idea a lot Eclipse about not having new SM's using the service uniform.

All the more reason that SMWOG should be wearing plain grey epaulets, despite how ugly it might be to some. 

MIKE

Talk about confusing... Having a username such as Captainbob, and being a no grade s'member.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Eclipse on May 24, 2009, 01:36:38 AM
Those are two reasons I discourage new members from going to service dress before 2d Lt - holes in your collar (yeah, I know self-healing shirts), and having to buy a second service cap in 6 months.

THAT, in my humble opinion, is the definitive answer.  The Golf Shirt works on quite a few levels for new members.
Another former CAP officer

biomed441

Quote from: MIKE on May 24, 2009, 02:54:31 AM
Talk about confusing... Having a username such as Captainbob, and being a no grade s'member.

Haha, I was wondering if someone was going to comment about that.  Its actually a nick-name that I was given a long time ago. Actually back as a cadet. And no I was never a cadet captain either.  Someone just thought it had a strange but fun ring to it, and its stuck ever since.  Although, if I ever become a Major, I may just have to change it.

BrandonKea

Quote from: Captainbob441 on May 24, 2009, 03:44:29 AM
...Although, if I ever become a Major, I may just have to change it.

Ohhh, yeah THEN change it...  ::)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 22, 2009, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: phirons on May 22, 2009, 10:18:53 PM
Your Group CC is incorrect. There is no modification of the gray / whites for grooming standards. Any senior can where that uniform with their grade.

Actually, the grade is REQUIRED.

Deviations from 39-1 are not authorized; so if it's not in 39-1, authorized BY 39-1 (such as items the Wing/CC can authorize) or in an ICL, you cannot do it.

Lets go deeper than that......If you were 'forced' to remove your grade, then you were in an incomplete uniform, also not authorized by the regs.  If you were instructed to remove grade, then you should have been instructed to remove all of the other bling as well.

Lt Oliv

I was instructed to remove grade for that particular event and obtain a name tag with my grade on it to wear with the aviator shirt, sans epaulets, if I refuse to shave the beard. 

I did what I was told, and have been making marks in the 39-1 so I have reference points to bring up with my Chain of Command.  My hope is that our Group Commander will look at the summary of changes to the 39-1 and say "Looks like they changed the reg I was referencing, carry on."  If not, the whole thing can get messy.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Ollie on May 24, 2009, 02:25:15 PM
I was instructed to remove grade for that particular event and obtain a name tag with my grade on it to wear with the aviator shirt, sans epaulets, if I refuse to shave the beard. 

I did what I was told, and have been making marks in the 39-1 so I have reference points to bring up with my Chain of Command.  My hope is that our Group Commander will look at the summary of changes to the 39-1 and say "Looks like they changed the reg I was referencing, carry on."  If not, the whole thing can get messy.
Probably the best solution, given the incorrect info being promulgated by the Group Cdr.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

JohnKachenmeister

Back in the day...

And by that I mean sometime in the 1990's, it used to be that the BDU and the flight suit were worn without grade of the wearer did not meet weight/grooming.

That was done away with when the BBDU came out.

The white/blue combo is for fat guys but is disallowed for fuzzy guys.  The white and gray is for fat and/or fuzzy.

But, given the changes, confusion happens.  Some people are more easily confused than others, however.
Another former CAP officer

USADOD

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 24, 2009, 07:26:34 PM
Back in the day...

And by that I mean sometime in the 1990's, it used to be that the BDU and the flight suit were worn without grade of the wearer did not meet weight/grooming.

That was done away with when the BBDU came out.

The white/blue combo is for fat guys but is disallowed for fuzzy guys.  The white and gray is for fat and/or fuzzy.

But, given the changes, confusion happens.  Some people are more easily confused than others, however.

:clap:  :o That is hilarious, who knew Seniors had a humorous side.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

Eclipse

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 24, 2009, 07:26:34 PM

I believe the phase out was around 2002 to coincide with the new blue field uniform.  I joined in 99 and have photos from the early 2000's of members in beards with no grade in camo.

"That Others May Zoom"