HEY PYLON/MIKE AND THE MODS! A humble request

Started by Johnny Yuma, April 11, 2009, 05:27:42 PM

Johnny Yuma

After seeing the lock on the 5.56 thread I've got a request:

How about a "Lounge" forum on the board where we can talk about non-CAP stuff with our fellow members?  This way questions like this don't sidetrack the purpose of the Lobby and we still get to talk guns, Zombie defense preparation, bad movie Westerns, puppies and kittens, etc.?
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Rob Sherlin

I'm all for that, but it really has noting to do with the CAP community other than firing range events approved by our organization. I'm not against talking about firearms or the shooting of, but if it's going to go into a ballistics and modification "thereof" discussion, I suggest you open a yahoo group (invite only) to discuss such things. We are a "non combat" organization, and the use of firearms are not that necessary.
  There is firearms training for members for safety, and knowledge purposes, but there is a point where it has nothing to do with our objectives and authorization (keep that in mind when you talk about firing exotic or illegal weapons, modifying weapons or ammo, or making ANY kind of changes to what CAP approves of and redeems safe.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

MIKE

Then we would be going full circle... If you recall the Lobby used to imply that you could talk about almost anything within reason and the MCoC... but we also contradict ourselves here as the MCoC also states:

Quote from: Membership Code of ConductMembers will only discuss matters on topic for the forum in which they are posting.  Members will not make blatantly off-topic posts or attempt to derail legitimate discussions. All topics must relate and be of interest to CAP members in a professional aspect.

This is CAP Talk after all not Glock Talk or [Insert other interest here.] Talk.  Do we let some threads slide sometimes... sure, but if you can keep it relevant to CAP, and avoid the other posting pit falls, you can avoid the lock or the nuke.

If you really want to talk about unrelated stuff then either do it by PM, Skype or something else that is not on these boards... You can even not invite me if you want.  Got nothing against setting up a conference call/chat in Skype if that is what you want to do.
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

I was posting in the 5.56 thread, and how it was related to a CAP activity when it was locked.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

I already figured out the relevance after reading the CCOC post.... unfortunately you did not make that clear from the outset... That said, other factors resulted in the lock, and the fact that it was basically asked and answered last night.
Mike Johnston

es_g0d

Mike, if you really feel that way, you should have locked it from the beginning instead of participating in the discussion.

If we're going to move topics away from where they started, a non-CAP free-for-all area might not be a bad idea.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

MIKE

Quote from: es_g0d on April 11, 2009, 07:00:33 PM
Mike, if you really feel that way, you should have locked it from the beginning instead of participating in the discussion.

Quote from: MIKE on April 11, 2009, 01:38:54 AM
Should've just PMed UK, unless you are buying rounds for a CAP activity.... Less than likely.

Attempt to determine relevance. i.e. Make it relevant or it gets the lock/nuked.

Quote from: MIKE on April 11, 2009, 01:55:34 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 11, 2009, 01:44:26 AM
Let's see.  He's at CCOC, posted in that thread that they MAY be shooting, now he's asking about the compatability of .223 with AR type rifles...

intersting...  Should have PM'd me.

Ok, when you read his latest CCOC post it makes sense... but taken alone it seems like a random not necessarily relevant thread.

Relevance determined.  Admittedly, you have to look at another thread to find it...

You want this one locked too?
Mike Johnston

Rob Sherlin

If you're asking about blanks to fire in drill rifles is one thing (they make those). To ask about adapting a higher caliber ammo is weapon modification, and is very suspicious when you say you can't disclose what it's for.....LOCK THIS ONE MIKE....SIR!!!
  Or, let the individual expose the intensions of the question, to ease our minds and better direct!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Johnny Yuma

WHOA GUYS, FULL STOP!!!

I was asking about a forum for us CAP member to talk non-CAP. I wasn't trying to start anything else or rehash the 5.56 thread.

There are a lot of boards who have "Lounge" feature where members of that community can talk about anything civil. What I was suggesting is something similar here.

If the admin doesn't want to go there, that's cool, too.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Rob Sherlin

Sorry! didn't mean to "bust your board". But ya' kinda' have to understand the concern of the question (it's not as much of the question as the secrecy behind it, along with what was asked)....No harm intended!

Pumbaa

Rob Sherlin

Gunner C

MIKE

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on April 11, 2009, 09:45:06 PMIf the admin doesn't want to go there, that's cool, too.

Super Mod does not an Administrator make.  Neither of the Admins have weighed in yet... As the unpaid lackey I can only speak to the MCoC, as written by one of the Admins, and the reason behind the change to the Lobby posting policy.

As far as the rest of this thread is concerned... doesn't help the cause at all.
Mike Johnston

flyerthom

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on April 11, 2009, 09:45:06 PM
WHOA GUYS, FULL STOP!!!

I was asking about a forum for us CAP member to talk non-CAP. I wasn't trying to start anything else or rehash the 5.56 thread.

There are a lot of boards who have "Lounge" feature where members of that community can talk about anything civil. What I was suggesting is something similar here.

If the admin doesn't want to go there, that's cool, too.

You could start a Cap Chat board and then just post the URL here. If something got off topic here it could be reopened there. Of course that has a whole ball of worms iitself.
TC

whatevah

Quote from: flyerthom on April 14, 2009, 04:44:01 AM
You could start a Cap Chat board and then just post the URL here. If something got off topic here it could be reopened there. Of course that has a whole ball of worms iitself.
Actually, that would be considered spam and probably deleted on site. ;D  A fairly annoying cadet in TX tried that a couple years ago. Went so far as to copy email addresses from the Members list and sent out mass-emails advertising it, too.  ::)

To answer the main question at hand... I believe it was our intention to keep the forum as professional as possible. So, no "anything goes" board.  Boards I've seen with an "off topic" board usually see that become the most active board with meaningless drivel and activity in the other sections slows down.  Plus, do we really want to know what music a random person listens to, what they're wearing to the prom or seeing yet another link to an old flash game somebody just found on addictinggames?   Since the rules don't allow a board of that nature, we sometimes allow a little flexibility in the Lobby board.  As long as it sounds somewhat related to CAP it stays, although some posts do slip through.

The "All topics must relate and be of interest to CAP members in a professional aspect." guideline may be modified someday, but I don't know what the future holds. But for the past 4 years, it's served CAPTalk pretty well. Only time will tell...
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin