kilts at special events

Started by Rob Sherlin, April 05, 2009, 09:52:35 PM

RiverAux

QuoteAnd most likely, they'd only allow the approved USAF kilt pattern.
Nah, it would need to have CAP-distinctive ultramarine blue markings on it.  You know that the entire structure of the Air Force would collapse were a CAP member to be mistaken for a member of the AF pipe band. 

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on April 06, 2009, 12:56:02 PM
Nah, it would need to have CAP-distinctive ultramarine blue markings on it.  You know that the entire structure of the Air Force would collapse were a CAP member to be mistaken for a member of the AF pipe band. 

As long as it doesn't look like the chicken foot scarf...

>:D

PlaneFlyr

My bad. :)
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

Grumpy

"squadron smoking jackets and monocles"  Now I like that!  I usually have problems with dropping my monocle in my soup though,

Grumpy

Actually, the first time I saw a kilt at an AF dinning out/Dinning in was on a DVD that Maxwell put out.  The DVD has examples excerpts from the manual of arms for the saber, color guard and some other items this old doesn't remember.  But the thing I do remember is seeing the VIP approaching the head table and the last guy was wearing a kilt so I had to do some research on that.

http://www.scottishtartans.org/USAF.htm

D2SK

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 06, 2009, 04:22:20 AM
Quote from: D2SK on April 06, 2009, 04:18:35 AM
How cute.  Men in skirts.  In uniform.

**Throat Clearing**

Kilts....Men in Kilts.....

Not that  there's anything wrong with that.
Lighten up, Francis.

RogueLeader

I know:

Standard USAF Blue with ultramarine blue on top edge, say 1.5" border, and 1.5 inch Grey border on the bottom.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

O-Rex

Kilt with CAP uniform: NO

Yeah, the USAF Pipe and Drum Band wears them, but all services have distinctive band uniforms that the line troops cannot wear.

Alternative: wear your own (would be considered civilian attire) it's customary to wear them with a military-style jacket: we had one guy who actually wore his kilt-ensemble to a CAP dining-in. 

Two 'musts:'

1. Actually BE of Scottish descent.

2. Be able to pull-off wearing it ( ! )

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: O-Rex on April 06, 2009, 08:59:55 PMTwo 'musts:'

Then two things

1. Completely Scottish or will a percentage do?

2. Define "pull off wearing it"

;D

davidsinn

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 06, 2009, 09:02:42 PM
Irish don'twear kilts? ???

They do. My wife is of Irish decent and her family has a Tartan.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

I love the idea of wearing a kilt in this manner!!

And I do believe that in WWI the German laddies referred to the Scottish Highland Regiments as the "Ladies from [Hades]". I was trying to avoid the foul language filter there and made it a rhyme without thinking about it.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Grumpy

Quote from: olefido on April 06, 2009, 09:51:29 PM
I love the idea of wearing a kilt in this manner!!

And I do believe that in WWI the German laddies referred to the Scottish Highland Regiments as the "Ladies from [Hades]". I was trying to avoid the foul language filter there and made it a rhyme without thinking about it.

. . .and I thought my humor was sick.  Then again, a sick sense of humor is better than no sense of humor.

LtCol057

Not sure if it was authorized or not, but one of my former cadets has posted on his Facebook page a pic of him wearing a kilt along with the USAF Mess Dress jacket.  He was a Spaatz cadet and an Air Force Academy grad, so I'd assume he would know if he could wear it or not.  He was never the type to go outside of the regs.

PHall

Quote from: LtCol057 on April 07, 2009, 03:33:30 AM
Not sure if it was authorized or not, but one of my former cadets has posted on his Facebook page a pic of him wearing a kilt along with the USAF Mess Dress jacket.  He was a Spaatz cadet and an Air Force Academy grad, so I'd assume he would know if he could wear it or not.  He was never the type to go outside of the regs.

It's not even remotely authorised by AFI 36-2903.

I too have seen Air Force personnel wearing the kilt with the mess dress jacket, at a non-Air Force event.

It would get ugly very quickly if you tried to wear a kilt to an "official" Air Force event.

SarDragon

Quote from: Slim on April 06, 2009, 07:08:31 AM
Quote from: argentip on April 06, 2009, 05:15:46 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 06, 2009, 01:18:57 AM
I have seen a kilt with the AF tartan worn twice on formal occasions - once at a civilian event, and the other at a CAP event. Both looked really great, and I certainly wasn't going to be the party-pooper telling someone they weren't supposed to be wearing them, particularly at the CAP event. [Lancer knows who I'm talking about.]

The member you mention has worn his kilt since I have known him.  It's now a tradition I guess.

I'm not 100% sure if that's an AF tartan, or his family's.  Either way, he doesn't wear it with a CAP uniform.  In his case, it would constitute civilian attire.  Clergy shirt and a dinner jacket with Air Force medals/master aircrew wings (he's a retired SMSgt), which is-I believe-allowed.

He's been doing it the 20 years I've known him, and Pops in drag has become a MIWG/GLR-N tradition.

OK, looked at some of Lancer's pix on FB, and see what you're talking about.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on April 06, 2009, 12:45:31 PM
Does anybody know if USAF allows people, other than their pipe band, to wear a kilt?  If they don't, then we probably won't either.
No.

Hawk200

I must say I'm a little amazed at how many people seem to want to wear it with a uniform, or think it's OK.

It's especially disconcerting how many people think we have too many different uniforms, but think a kilt variation is acceptable? What results in this line of thinking? Is it not OK to have loads of uniforms, unless they draw a great deal of attention? Granted, I haven't tracked how many think it's acceptable compare to the ones that think a kilt is fine, but still.

From CAPM 39-1: "COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized. Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear"

What more needs to be said?

davedove

Quote from: O-Rex on April 06, 2009, 08:59:55 PM
Kilt with CAP uniform: NO

Yeah, the USAF Pipe and Drum Band wears them, but all services have distinctive band uniforms that the line troops cannot wear.

I completely agree.  A kilt is not an approved uniform item in CAP, so don't wear it as part of a uniform.

Alternative: wear your own (would be considered civilian attire) it's customary to wear them with a military-style jacket: we had one guy who actually wore his kilt-ensemble to a CAP dining-in. 

The Prince Charlie jacket is based on the military jackets of the 19th century and has a very military feel to it.  It has the same basic cut as the mess jackets.  Note:  you are not authorized to wear your CAP medals on civilian attire, but you can wear any military medals you have earned.

Two 'musts:'

Not true, you don't have to be a cowboy to wear boots and you don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt.

I do have to agree about being able to pull it off.  You have to have a certain level of confidence to wear a kilt. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

O-Rex

Quote from: davedove on April 07, 2009, 11:28:17 AM
Not true, you don't have to be a cowboy to wear boots and you don't have to be Scottish to wear a kilt.

I have a pair of cowboy boots I wear on occasion, but I leave my riding chaps at home...

;D