Achievement Ribbon?

Started by biomed441, April 03, 2009, 05:59:45 PM

biomed441

Pardon me if this question is outdated. I've been out of the program for 7 years and am not just getting involved again. I was browsing (insert hate here)guard and noticed this new, well new to me achievement ribbon. Just wonder what the criteria for that is? Havn't been able to find any info on it.

Pylon

Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 03, 2009, 05:59:45 PM
Pardon me if this question is outdated. I've been out of the program for 7 years and am not just getting involved again. I was browsing (insert hate here)guard and noticed this new, well new to me achievement ribbon. Just wonder what the criteria for that is? Havn't been able to find any info on it.

Group Commander is the approving authority.  His or her discretion on awarding it; no hard criteria.  Similar to the Commander's Commendation but approved at the echelon below.  Falls directly below the CommComm in the order of precedence as well. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

Criteria is supposed to be less than a " Commanders Commendation" but more than a "Certificate of Appreciation". I would say for like a single event or something of that sort. SLS,CLC Director, UCC Director, Large recruitement drive or maybe something that helps the squadrons. When one of my regional historians takes their private collection to a Wing or Reg conf.

Approved at group level.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

biomed441

Ah I see. Not sure if thats a necessary award, but I guess if the group was feeling left out as an award giving body, then that should make them happy I guess. More for the fruit salad eaters.

Pylon

Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 03, 2009, 06:11:21 PM
Ah I see. Not sure if thats a necessary award, but I guess if the group was feeling left out as an award giving body, then that should make them happy I guess. More for the fruit salad eaters.

The USAF has a theoretically commensurate award, the Achievement Medal.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: caphistorian on April 03, 2009, 06:10:26 PM
I would say for like a single event or something of that sort. SLS,CLC Director, UCC Director, Large recruitement drive or maybe something that helps the squadrons. When one of my regional historians takes their private collection to a Wing or Reg conf.

Well gosh, In all honesty I would hope that it would be a bit more than that.  If you use that criteria, I would qualify for about 6 of those in 2009 already and about 20 from last year.  Seems a bit 'low' for criteria.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

Quote from: Captainbob441 on April 03, 2009, 06:11:21 PM
Given the number of complaints about people getting a CommComm for serving on sqdn staff, or other such stuff, it was needed.

biomed441

Ah yeah put that way I suppose so.

Eclipse

Several Group CC's in my wing got together an decided we would consider these as a group, should we feel like giving one.

We do not intend for this to become a defacto "don't want to ask wing, or didn't get a comm-comm" award.

The general criteria was that the commendable event would be something that has a Group-level scope, so SLS/CLC/UCC, by their nature, would be wing level, as would encampments and similar.

My Wing's CV was included in the discussion and concurred, so we're hoping this will be the plan going forward.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

This may sound horrible, or whatever, but I think I'm starting to get ill with the thought that someone might even be considered for a commander's commendation or even an achievement award for something like SLS or CLC.

Actions are supposed to be above and beyond.  The senior PD program requires that somebody do those things during their CAP career.  Not exactly 'above and beyond' or outside the scope of their normal duties.

If wings award awards like that, its their prerogative, but as I pointed out earlier - using that as criteria my unit would have about 20 Commander's Comms and probably 15 achievement awards this year already.  YMMV
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 04, 2009, 02:05:30 PM
This may sound horrible, or whatever, but I think I'm starting to get ill with the thought that someone might even be considered for a commander's commendation or even an achievement award for something like SLS or CLC.

I have to assume these would be given for running the seminars, not simple participation.  Perhaps for a series of excellent sessions over a period of years, etc., or restarting a program in a wing where its been failing.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

But even teaching a seminar is part of the PD program, in theory everyone will do it. 

I just feel like I would be cheating or shortchanging the award if someone gave me a CC for directing an SLS or an AA for teaching at one...

ZigZag911

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 04, 2009, 05:56:26 PM
But even teaching a seminar is part of the PD program, in theory everyone will do it. 

I just feel like I would be cheating or shortchanging the award if someone gave me a CC for directing an SLS or an AA for teaching at one...

True, but there are those who generously serve in these capacities multiple times. "First timers" are,as you point out, fulfilling a requirement and don't need further recognition; after that, it is in fact 'above and beyond'.

Nathan

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 04, 2009, 05:56:26 PM

Sort of like awarding a cadet an achievement ribbon for doing things they're supposed to be doing anyway...

But to be fair, the award is called, "The Achievement Ribbon." If the criteria are that the member "achieves", and it doesn't specify that it actually HAS to be above the call of duty, then achieving a certain level in the PD program could technically be considered an "achievement." After all, the word "achievement" is generally associated with steps toward an overall objective anyway, not stand-alone occurances.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Nathan on April 04, 2009, 08:53:08 PM
Sort of like awarding a cadet an achievement ribbon for doing things they're supposed to be doing anyway...

Uh, no not like that at all.  More along the lines of us awarding both the AE master badge and the Crossfield if you're looking trying to relate them like that. 

But, like I said before, I think it would be cheating the intent of the award to give them for something as minor as teaching or directing one of CAPs PD courses.  It seems a bit off balanced to me. 

Again, if I used myself as an example and a wing was awarding them to someone who has taught a seminar or directed something in addition to what they were 'required' by the PD program, it might work for someone who does one every couple years or so.

However, last year I directed two courses and taught about 15 of the seminars.  I'm signed up this year already to teach 3 seminars at our upcoming CLC.  They look for seminar instructors, but the same people end up being called.

So...should I have received two CCs and 15 achievement awards (had the award been available)?  I don't think so and I don't think that you would say so either. 

EDIT: Oh, and I did a bunch of Level 1 orientations last year, I was only 'required' to do one - what would I get for that?

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 05, 2009, 03:52:22 PM
So...should I have received two CCs and 15 achievement awards (had the award been available)?  I don't think so and I don't think that you would say so either. 

Not 17 decs, but maybe one - that's over and above what many would do.
Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 05, 2009, 03:52:22 PM
EDIT: Oh, and I did a bunch of Level 1 orientations last year, I was only 'required' to do one - what would I get for that?

Presumably informed and prepared new members?   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Question for the masses:

Should a Squadron Cadet of the Quarter be eligible for the Achievement Award?

A little more detail:
The CoQ is determined using entirely objective criteria, unless there is a tie. Criteria include:
Test scores, meeting attendance, achievment/milestone completion, activities, other awards.
If a tie, the winner is determined via discussion between CC, CDC, and C/CC (unless C/CC is in the tie, than the most senior cadet) based on attitude and leadership skills.

Currently, the CoQ wears a shoulder cord (approved by the wing/CC) for the quarter following the one they were recognized for.

Eclipse

I'd personally say that the cord is enough - maybe if you had a cadet who won for a whole year or something...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2009, 09:32:43 PM
I'd personally say that the cord is enough
Ditto, wearing the cord for three months, and maybe a nice certificate should be adequate.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2009, 09:32:43 PM
- maybe if you had a cadet who won for a whole year or something...
If they win for the whole year then you should give them the AFA Cadet of the Year award, more appropriate IMHO.

Pylon

Our squadron uses the AFA Cadet of the Year, AFSA Cadet NCO of the Year, and the VFW Cadet Officer of the Year and VFW Cadet NCO of the Year awards to de facto recognize our squadron's top cadets each year.   Assuming your unit is taking advantage of these awards and their availability, the Achievement Award on top of that would likely be overkill and double-dipping, too.  Plus, even though it's not a permanent form of recognition like a ribbon, they do they the shoulder cord as temporary recognition.

Cecil DP

While the AFA, VFW, and Sergeants Association are all good awards, I believe that a CAP award should be given for outstanding service and that the awards from these organizations should be secondary.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

The word that has filtered down to me recently is that we're supposed to be more or less giving these out like candy, BUT that they're sort of supposed to be focused more on cadets than seniors. 

From what I understood the bar is not supposed to be very high at all for this award and that the purpose of having it is to make some of the other awards just a little harder to get and give them a bit more prestige. 

JohnKachenmeister

The word that filtered should be run through the filter again.

The award is for achievements less than those recognized by the Comm-Comm, and one which Group CC's can use to QUICKLY recognize superior performance.

We just recognized two cadets with Achievement Awards.  The mission was a recruiting/information booth at a July 4th event, and of three officers who volunteered to assist, only one, a brand-new Senior Member WOG (Gawd, how I hate that "Rank") showed up.  Two seasoned cadets took charge and helped the officer work, organize, supervise cadets, and answer questions.  They both planned to take off to their own family picnics after a few hours, but realizing that they were needed, stayed until the end.  The program was a success primarily because of their efforts.

The SMWOG nominated them, and I approved them as acting Group CC, demonstrating my ability to take over and abuse my authority while my long-suffering Group CC was out of the country on business.
Another former CAP officer

IceNine

Quote from: RiverAux on August 31, 2009, 10:56:18 PM
The word that has filtered down to me recently is that we're supposed to be more or less giving these out like candy, BUT that they're sort of supposed to be focused more on cadets than seniors. 

From what I understood the bar is not supposed to be very high at all for this award and that the purpose of having it is to make some of the other awards just a little harder to get and give them a bit more prestige. 

^ That smells of leisurely command perogative.

In my wing we think just the opposite.  All awards should be gauged on the echelon of influence, quantity or longevity of acts, and similar awards.

There are any number of reasons for giving these out but none of them include "Comm Comm Consolation Prize" or because he's a "good fella"

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

dogboy

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2009, 11:15:07 PMWe just recognized two cadets with Achievement Awards.  The mission was a recruiting/information booth at a July 4th event, and of three officers who volunteered to assist, only one, a brand-new Senior Member WOG (Gawd, how I hate that "Rank") showed up.  Two seasoned cadets took charge and helped the officer work, organize, supervise cadets, and answer questions. 

In my opinion, the Achievement Award should not be given for such a trivial accomplishment. Manning a table for an afternoon is an achievement that merits a ribbon? They missed a picnic?

If this is the standard by which achievement is measured, we really have become a pathetic organization.

PHall

Quote from: dogboy on September 01, 2009, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2009, 11:15:07 PM
We just recognized two cadets with Achievement Awards.  The mission was a recruiting/information booth at a July 4th event, and of three officers who volunteered to assist, only one, a brand-new Senior Member WOG (Gawd, how I hate that "Rank") showed up.  Two seasoned cadets took charge and helped the officer work, organize, supervise cadets, and answer questions. 

In my opinion, the Achievement Award should not be given for such a trivial accomplishment. Manning a table for an afternoon is an achievement that merits a ribbon? They missed a picnic?

If this is the standard by which achievement is measured, we really have become a pathetic organization.

We're no more pathetic then the Air Force then. Air Force Achievement Medals are handed out like candy.
You did something "good", but it wasn't good enough for an Air Force Commendation Medal?
No problem, here's your Air Force Achievement Medal instead!

I got one for taking over my unit's Weapons Qualification Monitor job after the previous guy earned an Unsat during a Staff Assistance Visit and doing a good enough job to get a Sat during the ORI six weeks later.
And all I did was basically fix the paperwork.

Camas

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2009, 11:15:07 PM
We just recognized two cadets with Achievement Awards. Two seasoned cadets took charge and helped the officer work, organize, supervise cadets, and answer questions.  They both planned to take off to their own family picnics after a few hours, but realizing that they were needed, stayed until the end.  The program was a success primarily because of their efforts. The SMWOG nominated them, and I approved them as acting Group CC, demonstrating my ability to take over and abuse my authority while my long-suffering Group CC was out of the country on business.

A winglevel Certificate of Appreciation (CAPC38) would probably be more suitable for this but then I wasn't there so perhaps this decision on your part was appropriate. I'm not passing judgment; just making an observation based on your post.

dogboy

Quote from: PHall on September 01, 2009, 01:14:44 AM

We're no more pathetic then the Air Force then.

I got one for taking over my unit's Weapons Qualification Monitor job after the previous guy earned an Unsat during a Staff Assistance Visit and doing a good enough job to get a Sat during the ORI six weeks later.

At least you earned it for 6 weeks performance, not one afternoon. Did you also have to miss a picnic?

If one looks hard, one can always find an occasion when any award was given frivolously, even the Metal of Honor. That's quite beside the point. The least activity for which an award was ever made shouldn't become the standard.

This is a new award and if it's to be given out for a single afternoon's rather routine activity, then, as I said, we truly have become pathetic.

PHall

Quote from: dogboy on September 01, 2009, 02:09:13 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 01, 2009, 01:14:44 AM

We're no more pathetic then the Air Force then.

At least you earned it for 6 weeks performance, not one afternoon. Did you also have to miss a picnic?

If one looks hard, one can always find an occasion when any award was given frivolously, even the Metal of Honor. That's quite beside the point. The least activity for which an award was ever made shouldn't become the standard.

This is a new award and if it's to be given out for a single afternoon's rather routine activity, then, as I said, we truly have become pathetic.

Six weeks in a Reserve unit, I did a total of about 8 hours work over 2 drills and an extra drill period.

And as far as I know, I missed no picnics.

Short Field

Then bad on your Commander.  It just cheapens the award for others.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

In my experience CAP does a poor job of using any of the achievement-type awards.
Distinguished Service Medal -basically for region or national level stuff. Not open for many.
Exceptional Service Award - Major projects at wing or higher level.  Most CAP members will never qualify. 
Meritorius Service Award- This is the first one that the general CAP member has a realistic chance at, but the bar is pretty high.  I've only seen a handful of CAP members (other than Wing Commanders) get them. 
Commanders Commendation- Most CAP senior members who have been around for a while have probably gotten one of these.  Many of the ones I've seen are not for actions of any great significance.  I've seen some cadets get them for various things. 
Achievement Award-Too soon to tell, but if we downgrade a lot of the sorts of things that are now getting ComComms to Achievement Awards, it would make a lot of sense to me. 

This gives us three levels of awards that the average CAP member has a shot at.  Most will probably eventually get a Achievement Award, it will be harder to get the ComComm, and only a very few will get the Meritorius Service Award.

I think there is definetely a place for this award at the low end of the spectrum.  And, getting back to my first point, its a sad fact that most commanders probably won't put people in for any of these awards in the first place. 

IceNine

It's not the commander's job to be putting people in for awards.

It is our job to evaluate the recommendations and make a judgement.

If people are not getting awards it is because they are not being put in for, or not being done so in an acceptable format warranting the award. 

ANYONE can write a CAPF 120 and forward it up the chain.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

A CAP squadron commander that is waiting for someone else to put in an award recommendation for one of their people is a commander whose pen will never run out of ink -- he won't be getting anything to sign. 

brasda91

Quote from: IceNine on September 01, 2009, 03:34:13 AM

It is our job to evaluate the recommendations and make a judgement.

If people are not getting awards it is because they are not being put in for, or not being done so in an acceptable format warranting the award. 

Yes anyone can submit a 120, but the commander should monitoring his/her staff as to how they perform their job.

In my squadron, I don't have 50 active senior members, heck I don't even have 50 on the roster.  I only have 10 active seniors.  Half of those joined just last year.  They're still learning.

A good commander is always looking for ways to reward his/her staff.  We don't get a paycheck, so awards and certificates are the only thing they get.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Camas

True enough but there's no reason why a commander can't submit a CAPF120 like anyone else.

James Shaw

The purpose behind the Achievement Medal was to give the Group Level folks an alternative for recognizing their people without having to go through the wing level and it taking alot of time. It is not a replacement for anything and is by no way a "cheap thank you". If that is what folks are using it for than they are wrong.

On a funny note after this thingcame out I was sent an email about the medal from a friend joking that I should get one for the mere design aspect of the medal. I know the person was joking but hope others dont view it so "cheaply". I did receive one from someone in my wing for alot of work that was done over a 5 month period.

Use it, but don't abuse.....
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

RiverAux

Keep in mind that many (if not most) wings don't use any sort of group structure, so the idea that this is just something that group commanders can issue quickly doesn't pass muster. 

jimmydeanno

Our Wing Commander has authorized its approval by the Squadron Commanders.  If that doesn't cut down "reaction time" I don't know what would...

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: dogboy on September 01, 2009, 12:22:16 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2009, 11:15:07 PMWe just recognized two cadets with Achievement Awards.  The mission was a recruiting/information booth at a July 4th event, and of three officers who volunteered to assist, only one, a brand-new Senior Member WOG (Gawd, how I hate that "Rank") showed up.  Two seasoned cadets took charge and helped the officer work, organize, supervise cadets, and answer questions. 

No.  READ what I wrote. >:(

They did not merely "Man a table."  ALL of the cadets did that, and the other cadets did not get the award.

These cadets asserted superior leadership, materially assisted a new officer in a bad situation, and stayed with that officer until the job was finished, placing duty before personal interests.

When I was in the Army, had two enlisted stepped up to help a new officer like that, I would have given them Army Achievement Medals, too.

IceNine

Quote from: Camas on September 01, 2009, 04:57:38 AM

True enough but there's no reason why a commander can't submit a CAPF120 like anyone else.

You guys are missing the point completely.  I have been a group commander for almost 2 years.   I have had non-command members come up to me and say I think Capt. Skipper deserves (insert Decoration here).  My response is ALWAYS write it up, their response is always I'll talk to my squadron commander.  And even after all of the discussion that follows it is just assumed that it is the commander's responsibility to write these up.

IT IS NOT.  If you believe someone desearves a decoration then you should write it up.  You are the one that will provide the most passion and detail in the supporting documentation.  You are the one that will likely follow up to the point of being annoying until it gets approved.  And the list goes on.

So those saying commander's that don't get their people awards should be turning the microscope the other way.  And commander's that hoard this responsibility "shame on you"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

I think it is a little of both.

Commanders are the the focal point for all things coming in and out of a squadron.

They should be watching what their people are doing and either writing them up or tasking their subordinate to write up THEIR subordinates to give due recognition.

IT IS the job of the commander to make sure that their people are recognised.

It is every leader's job to forward (via a CAPF 120) their recommendation when they think someone is worthy.

Members need to be more proactive in giving due recognition and commanders need to be proactive in getting their mid level leaders to do those write ups.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I agree with ICE that ideally others should be initiating award recommends, however in real life it rarely happens in most organizations.  I don't know how many groups I'm in where it is hard to get anyone to nominate someone for an award.

Personally, if someone had informally told me (when I was a squadron commander) that Capt. Fuzzy deserves an award for some action and if I had asked them to write it up, but never received anything, then I would take it on myself to get it done.  Better to make sure people are recognized when appropriate than stand on principle. 

Gunner C

Quote from: caphistorian on September 01, 2009, 08:56:10 AM
The purpose behind the Achievement Medal was to give the Group Level folks an alternative for recognizing their people without having to go through the wing level and it taking alot of time. It is not a replacement for anything and is by no way a "cheap thank you". If that is what folks are using it for than they are wrong.

Not entirely, it was also to fill in the gap between the commander's commendation and the certificate of achievement.  This was a good move by the military and a good move by CAP.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RiverAux on September 01, 2009, 09:20:21 PM
I agree with ICE that ideally others should be initiating award recommends, however in real life it rarely happens in most organizations.  I don't know how many groups I'm in where it is hard to get anyone to nominate someone for an award.

Personally, if someone had informally told me (when I was a squadron commander) that Capt. Fuzzy deserves an award for some action and if I had asked them to write it up, but never received anything, then I would take it on myself to get it done.  Better to make sure people are recognized when appropriate than stand on principle.

River:

You're not gonna like this.

Writing the award yourself is taking the easy way out.  As a commander, it is your duty to trai n subordinates.  Writing up awards is a necessary skill.  Doing it for them will meet the short-term objective, but will not teach the junior officer the skill he needs.

So when you leave command and the junior officer takes over, who will write the award recommendation when one of HIS junior officers deserves one?

IceNine

Bingo.

And given the amount of times that people ask for examples of write-up's here there are too many times when we fail at this.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

lordmonar

Quote from: IceNine on September 02, 2009, 01:41:39 AM
Bingo.

And given the amount of times that people ask for examples of write-up's here there are too many times when we fail at this.

I agree....but there is a happy median between "It's not my job" and "I'll do everything".

If you are at group level and squadron level members are telling you about soneone who deserves recognition....we need to be following up to make sure that their chain is 1) aware of it and 2) not slow boating or simply not doing their job and recognising their people.

Same at the squadron level.  The CC needs to have eys on their people and make sure they are tasking their middle managers to submit F120s when they are needed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on September 02, 2009, 07:12:03 AM
Quote from: IceNine on September 02, 2009, 01:41:39 AM
Bingo.

I agree....but there is a happy median between "It's not my job" and "I'll do everything".

If you are at group level and squadron level members are telling you about soneone who deserves recognition....we need to be following up to make sure that their chain is 1) aware of it and 2) not slow boating or simply not doing their job and recognising their people.

Same at the squadron level.  The CC needs to have eys on their people and make sure they are tasking their middle managers to submit F120s when they are needed.

When someone says "so and so deserves recognition, hand them a CAPF 120 and ask him to take the time to write it up. Training, recognition, and responsibility all in one action.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

QuoteWhen someone says "so and so deserves recognition, hand them a CAPF 120 and ask him to take the time to write it up. Training, recognition, and responsibility all in one action
Who has forms anymore.

Really guys, in theory you are correct, but in practice it is always up to the commander to get something done when someone in their command drops the ball.  Sometimes you leave the ball on the floor, but in this case the commander should pick it up and run with it to make sure their people are recognized when appropriate.