CAP Briefing Sticks

Started by Pylon, March 26, 2009, 05:36:20 PM

Pylon

I'm trying to gauge interest in custom Civil Air Patrol briefing sticks.  For those of you who don't know what they are, they're basically a wooden plane model on a stick that an instructor can use to visually demonstrate in 3D various flight maneuvers and aircraft positioning (instead of using your hands ;) ) -- see here for a sample.    I've been looking into having some made of a C-172 or C-182 in the new CAP paint scheme; I think they're handy now and then in the classroom when trying to explain basic aerodynamics and other aero ed concepts to cadets.  Plus, it's a neat training aid.

I think there will be a minimum order (though I don't know yet how many) to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer to work up a model for the Cessna.  I do believe, however, that you could customize each one (i/e: tail number); so if you want your squadron's plane's tail number on there, it could be done.

How many people would be interested in buying one or a set of two for themselves or for their squadron's AE purposes if the pricepoint were around $30-$40/ea.?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Its a neat idea, but how hard is it to demonstrate "straight and level"?

We don't do aerobatics, complex maneuvers or formations, and two CAP planes aren't even supposed to be in the same grid without all kinds of special permissions.

The painting is probably where the expense is, right?   Because you could epoxy a die-cast 172 onto a wooden dowel for a lot less.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2009, 06:10:43 PM

We don't do aerobatics, complex maneuvers or formations, and two CAP planes aren't even supposed to be in the same grid without all kinds of special permissions.

The painting is probably where the expense is, right?   Because you could epoxy a die-cast 172 onto a wooden dowel for a lot less.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of how to demonstrate things like yaw versus roll, not reverse immelmans or formation flying.  Again, not a critical visual aid to have in the classroom, but neat.  Not sure where the majority of the expense is incurred; I have to talk to the guy who makes these again still.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Rob Sherlin

When I was showing my brother and nephews the different moving surfaces of an aircraft, and what they make the plane do, due to force against those surfaces, I was using a wooden F-16 stick and it was very helpfull. Once they understood by demonstration with the stick, they were able to fly my sim much better (and they have no prior aviation or aerospace education at all, and were able to understand what I was talking about because of the stick).

I really don't think you have to have them made though. If it's just for demonstation, it would be cheaper just to get a Cessna model from revel (they even make a CAP Cessna model I believe) and attach it to a .50 cent dowel from Home Depot.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

NIN

http://www1.shopping.com/xPO-Hot-Wings-Die-Cast-Cessna-C-172-Model

Die Cast Model: $13 + shipping
Wooden Dowel: $2.50 @ Home Depot
Hot glue gun: borrowed from Squadron Member

Having your own briefing stick without it costing $75 for a chunk of wood: Priceless
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ricecakecm

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2009, 06:10:43 PM

Easy to demonstrate, but its one of the harder things to teach a student pilot.

Flying Pig

Toys R Us + Home Depot = Briefing Stick.    ;D

MIKE

A toy stuck on the end of a dowel is just not the same...
Mike Johnston

SilverEagle2

I'd be very interested.

Must have the G1000 logo on the side though.  ;D
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on March 26, 2009, 09:47:26 PM
A toy stuck on the end of a dowel is just not the same...

...so to speak...

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

^ This ain't the AFBlues forums Eclipse... Watch your mouth...
Mike Johnston

NIN

Quote from: MIKE on March 26, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
^ This ain't the AFBlues forums Eclipse... Watch your mouth...

He was.

So to speak.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Mustang

Much more useful would be the sort of wooden model I saw a while back that had fully-functional flight controls wired to a small stick and rudders in the cockpit that could be manipulated by hand.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

CadetProgramGuy

Or what i use to teach with.....My hands......