Crash of Air Force C-17 reported in Texas

Started by cnitas, March 23, 2009, 06:21:41 PM

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

TXCAP

AFRCC says all C17's are accounted for and the report is false.  Perhaps a witness to an aircraft on a low level training route which criss cross that area.

Report of C-17 crash false, Air Force says

(CNN) -- Emergency crews have called off the search in Texas for a C-17 transport plane.

Initial Air Force reports of a crash were incorrect, an Air Force spokesman told CNN affiliates.

The Olney Police Department had reported that callers said a plane was flying low to the ground, and then crashed.

Olney is about 45 miles south of Wichita Falls and 130 miles west of Dallas.

A rancher in the area reported that a search was conducted in the area.

cnitas

MER-MD-003

Gunner C

Be careful about what you believe on CNN, professionally speaking.  They have a great tendency to get it either wrong or 4.5 degrees off azimuth.

cnitas

Yeah, well the original article had a guy saying there were 'spotter planes' overhead looking for the crash.  I wondered if he was actually describing CAP aircraft.

MER-MD-003

Gunner C

CNN published the report before its first call to the AF or the FAA.  A call to either (we did it at work as soon as it came across the air) would have told them all aircraft were accounted for.  It took two minutes. CNN doesn't do well with fact checking.  :o  BTW, there was no search - it was announced over the domestic events network (FAA circuit) that there was no crash about three minutes after the AF did a quick nose count of their aircraft.  Perhaps a bit of back peddling.  Too bad . . . CNN used to be the cutting edge of reporting, now they, along with MSNBC, aren't used for initial reporting of news events unless they are confirmed by a second report.

PHall

The school house for the C-17 is at Altus AFB, Altus, OK.
There are several low level routes in the North Texas/Southern Oklahoma area that are used by C-17's.
They usually fly these routes at 300 feet AGL.
Farmer Joe needs to go back to weeding his cotton.

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on March 24, 2009, 01:00:37 AM

Hey don't be dissing the people that feed you.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NIN

Quote from: davidsinn on March 24, 2009, 02:00:14 AM

You eat cotton?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2009, 03:30:48 AM

You eat cotton?

And the people who feed me are usually named Juan, Jose, Esteban and Victor.

davidsinn

Quote from: NIN on March 24, 2009, 03:30:48 AM

You eat cotton?

No I don't. I should have added "and clothe you." I get really mad when people rip on farmers.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RogueLeader

Quote from: davidsinn on March 24, 2009, 11:59:40 AM
No I don't. I should have added "and clothe you." I get really mad when people rip on farmers.

You aren't the only one.  I find the remark to be particularly offensive.  Occasionly a specific situation, it may call for it;, this wasn't the right one.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Carrales

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 24, 2009, 07:16:29 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 24, 2009, 11:59:40 AM

You aren't the only one.  I find the remark to be particularly offensive.  Occasionly a specific situation, it may call for it;, this wasn't the right one.

I agree, I also took offense to the "And the people who feed me are usually named Juan, Jose, Esteban and Victor" comment.

While many produce field workers are of Mexican and other hispanic origin I find it very distrubing that people would choose to make that remark in a thread about an crashed aircraft.  As person who's name is Jose, I find it distasteful that some would relegate me to working in a field as the limitiation of my potential.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Flying Pig

We get a lot of calls about crashed airplanes by people driving on Interstate 5 up through Central CA.  They are coming from L.A. or San Diego or coming down from San Francisco.   "This plane flew right down into the field and I never saw it come back up!"  -or- "Its flying around this field.  It looks like its trying to land like its having engine trouble." 
Sir....was the plane yellow?  "Yes it was"  OK, in Central CA we have crop dusters.  "Oh.....OK."  But Thanks for being concerned. ;D

Gunner C