OpsPlan template

Started by CadetProgramGuy, March 21, 2009, 04:23:43 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Does anyone have a template I can use?

bosshawk

Suggest that you call the NOC: they have canned ops plans for just about any kind of mission and they will eventually require you to use one.  I have two oplans for a CD operation that normally flies 2400 hours a year.  Can't go into what the difference is, but that is how the NOC and the lawyers at First AF want it.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

CadetProgramGuy

I saw those, but they are for year long planning.  I am looking for a single training mission Ops Plan

TXCAP

Texas Wing has a standardized template at http://www.txwgcap.org/wing_publications/ops_plans.htm that may work for you.

Ranger75

I have a series of operation plans and orders prepared to capture major training and emergency service events at the wing level.  I have also provided an annotated operation order that was prepared as an instructional guide for use by the wing's groups.  If you can give me an idea of the type of event you are writing to, I can go through the archive and find if I have something that might serve your purpose.  --  Regards

Gunner C

You are asking for an operations plan and you probably want an operations order.  An OPLAN is something that is written in response to a standing mission that a unit has and is put on the shelf until it is needed.  An OPORD is what is used to control an operation.  Here's what an OPORD contains:

1.  SITUATION. (If the information below doesn't apply just put OMITTED after SITUATION.

A.  Enemy.  (Enemy situation doesn't apply to us most of the time but if there's a terrorist threat, which there is right now, you can put this as: ANNEX A (Terrorist Threat).  So the sub paragraphs that you could use would be:

(1) Terrorist Threat.  See ANNEX A (Terrorist Threat).  (Annex A could be a standing document that you insert into each OPORD or OPLAN - no need to write a new one each time unless something changes)

(2) Weather. (You can give the general WX picture here and say that the operational period weather will be briefed the day of the training)

B.  Friendly situation.  (This contains mission of the next higher unit for the day and the sister units in your group; if they are playing in the training, say so). 

2.  MISSION.  (This is where a lot of folks get hung up - what you want is who what when where and why)
Anytown Composite Squadron conducts a ground search and rescue exercise from 300600SMAR09 to 311730SMAR09 at Petticoat Junction. MS training area in order to exercise ground teams and communications systems.  (There shouldn't be any more than one sentence in the mission paragraph.)

3.  EXECUTION

A.  Commander's Intent. (No more than 4-5 bullet statements that address what the force must do to succeed with respect to the tasks,  time and the desired end state.  Intent links the mission and concept paragraph by stating key tasks which must be accomplished to accomplish the purpose of the operation (Para 2).  Intent does not include "method","risk" or a restatement of purpose.)  You'll need to talk to your commander about what he expects to accomplish.

B.  Concept of the Operation.  (For most CAP exercises a matrix will explain this the best.)

(1)  Operations Matrix

(2)  The end state of this operation will be:

(a)  The following tasks will be exercised:

(b)  All equipment and personnel will be demobilzed and returned to home base.

C.  Coordinating Instructions.  (For an exercise you can use this sub paragraph to coordinate exercise headquarters actions in the exercise play such as deploying training ELTs, who deploys it where and when.  You can use a matrix for this.  Also, use a subparagraph here to stipulate the uniform.  NEVER SAY "ANY CAP UNIFORM".  The next time I see it I'm going to show up in a mess dress <grin>)

4.  SERVICE AND SUPPORT (This paragraph  addresses administration, fuel, vehicles, aircraft, messing, staging areas, etc.  It does NOT address communications)

A.  Administration.  (Where will the sign-in location be, where will the exercise controllers be located, where will other administrative functions be carried out, what administration will be required, when will reports be due)

B.  Logistics.  (What are the logistics necessary for the operation and where will it be located)

(1)  Billeting

(2)  Messing

(3)  Fuel

(4) Specialized Equipment (radios, LPRS, etc)

5.  COMMAND AND SIGNAL

A.  Command.

(1)  Chain of Command

(2)  Location of CP

B.  Signal  (Use of frequencies here will make the document FOUO)

(1)  Phone Numbers of Key Personnel (Use a matrix)

(2)  Frequencies (Use a matrix)

Stonewall

See attached OPORD (Operations Order).  It is one of many that I keep on file for reference.  This particular one was used for a Survival training weekend in West Virginia.
Serving since 1987.

Ranger75

Cadet Program Guy  --  I believe what you are looking for is a template for an operation order.  The distinction between a plan and an order is timing.  A plan is prepared when the date and time (and potentially other key factors) of an operations is unknown.  It captures the commanders intent and concept of operation, pending an order to execute.  An operation order is prepared for the execution of specified mission at a time and place certain.  Unfortunately, because I lack the magic 100 posts to CAP Talk, I'm unable to attach examples of both for your review.  Previously, Stonewall offered to post on my behalf.  I'll send him a personal e-mail with attachments, and ask him to post a number of items, including an annotated operation order for a group and a Powerpoint presentation on orders and plans presented at a recent wing conference.  --  Regards

Stonewall

Quote from: Ranger75 on March 21, 2009, 10:42:31 PM
Previously, Stonewall offered to post on my behalf.  I'll send him a personal e-mail with attachments, and ask him to post a number of items, including an annotated operation order for a group and a Powerpoint presentation on orders and plans presented at a recent wing conference.  --  Regards

Copy direct.  Standing by.
Serving since 1987.

Ranger75

Stonewall

Quote from: Ranger75 on March 21, 2009, 11:10:51 PM
PM sent

Got it.  See attached document below. 

Unfortunately I couldn't upload the powerpoint, which looks great by the way.  Unless there's something I'm not aware of, we'll have to settle for the Word document only.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on March 21, 2009, 11:21:37 PM
Convert it to a PDF.

Beyond my skill level at this time.
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Well, that's 90 minutes I'll never get back.  >:(

Ranger75

If anyone wants the Powerpoint OPLAN/OPORD Powerpont, send me a PM.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Ranger75 on March 21, 2009, 10:42:31 PM
Cadet Program Guy  --  I believe what you are looking for is a template for an operation order.  The distinction between a plan and an order is timing.  A plan is prepared when the date and time (and potentially other key factors) of an operations is unknown.  It captures the commanders intent and concept of operation, pending an order to execute.  An operation order is prepared for the execution of specified mission at a time and place certain.  Unfortunately, because I lack the magic 100 posts to CAP Talk, I'm unable to attach examples of both for your review.  Previously, Stonewall offered to post on my behalf.  I'll send him a personal e-mail with attachments, and ask him to post a number of items, including an annotated operation order for a group and a Powerpoint presentation on orders and plans presented at a recent wing conference.  --  Regards

Yes you all are right, I used the wrong termology.  Thanks for the input though!!  I have what I need!!