CAP Pilot Rating?

Started by Chicago_Pilot, March 18, 2009, 05:08:37 PM

Chicago_Pilot

Ok, I'm confused.  In E-Services I click on a link on the left called "My Operations Qualifications/National Reports."  Then I click "Pilot" up at the top and then "CAPR 35-6 Aeronautical Ratings" on the left.

I see some checkboxes that list different ratings.  One of them is called the "CAP Pilot Rating", but is has additional text "*This is not the same as being a CAP Pilot."  What does that mean?

I searched CAPR35-6, which says that the requirement for a CAP Pilot Rating is to "be qualified in accordance with CAPR60-1."  Of course CAPR60-1 has no mention of "CAP Pilot Rating."

So my assumption is that if you are a CAP VFR Pilot you are also entitled to the CAP Pilot Rating.  Right?

argentip

I can't find it either, but I believe that a CAP Pilot is any member of CAP that is a licensed pilot.  The member would then also receive additional rating(s) to allow him/her to fly the CAP planes after passing the CAP check-rides and other pre-requisites.

As I am not a pilot, this may be incorrect, but this is my understanding.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Al Sayre

No, a CAP Pilot is one who has met the requirements and passed a CAPF-5 and is authorized to fly on AFAM's.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SilverEagle2

QuoteSo my assumption is that if you are a CAP VFR Pilot you are also entitled to the CAP Pilot Rating.  Right?

To get a CAP Pilot Rating, you must have passed an initial CAPF5 ride. You are then entitled to wear the wings. Once you earn them, you can wear them current or not. So if you are a current CAP VFR Pilot, you have earned a CAP Pilot Rating.

Additionally, if you are a current CAP VFR Pilot, you are also a CAP Pilot.

CAP Pilot is someone current (Within a current form5/91) and able to fly. See the difference now?
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

argentip

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 18, 2009, 08:25:24 PM
No, a CAP Pilot is one who has met the requirements and passed a CAPF-5 and is authorized to fly on AFAM's.

Thank you.  I stand corrected.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Mustang

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 18, 2009, 08:25:24 PM

Negative on that last part.  One need only complete a Form 5 checkride to qualify for the aeronautical rating.  This does not qualify one to fly on AFAMs; at the very least, additional flight experience requirements may apply.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on March 18, 2009, 08:37:02 PMCAP Pilot is someone current (Within a current form5/91) and able to fly. See the difference now?

Corrected.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPR 60-1, Page 18-19
3-2. Pilot Qualifications.

a. CAP Cadet Pre-Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP cadet pre-solo pilot. This qualification may only be earned at an organized wing or higher-level flight encampment/academy.
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Have received the required instruction from a CAP certificated flight instructor/-glider (CFI/CFIG), at a wing level or higher flight encampment/academy and have a written record documenting instruction of all items of FAR 61.87, in the appropriate aircraft.
(3) Complete a pre-solo qualification flight as described in paragraph 1-6.

b. CAP Solo Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP solo pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 16 years of age (for balloon or glider be age 14 or older).
(2) Possess a valid FAA student pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a valid, current medical certificate (not required for gliders or balloons).
(4) Have received the required instruction from an FAA authorized flight instructor (CFI/CFIG), have a written record documenting instruction, for the appropriate aircraft, in accordance with FAR 61.87, and possess a current solo endorsement IAW FARs from a CAP instructor pilot.
(5) CAP glider student pilots will have a minimum of thirty (30) dual instruction training flights and a properly documented logbook/training record ensuring all required areas of FAR 61.87, Solo Requirements for Student Pilots, are met prior to initial solo. First time, wing level or higher, glider encampment/academy students are restricted to CAP cadet pre-solo pilot qualification only.

c. CAP Pilot. The following basic requirements must be met to be qualified as a CAP pilot in CAP aircraft:
(1) Be an active CAP member at least 17 years of age (16 years of age for CAP glider pilots).
(2) Possess a valid FAA private, commercial, or airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) Possess a class III or higher medical certificate (not required for gliders).
(4) Possess a current flight review IAW FAR 61.56.
(5) Satisfactorily complete a CAPF 5 flight check in an aircraft (in an appropriate group) within the preceding 12 months.

The above, in the respective flavor, gets you the wings, worn in perpetuity, regardless of continued qualification.
Assuming qualification, a Form-5 pilot can rent the CAP airplane to build hours, and participate in some non-mission
related pilot duties such as moving airplanes for maintenance or rotation, orientation rides (with additional hours and checks needed), etc.

To be operational: 
Quote from: CAPR 60-3
2-3. Specialty Rating Requirements and Performance Standards.

o. Transport Mission Pilot (TMP). Satisfy the following for issuance of a CAPF 101 (a training card shall not be issued for this specialty) (see notes 1 and 2):
1) At least 18 years of age.
2) Current and qualified CAP pilot in accordance with CAPR 60-1, with at least 100 hours pilot in command time including at least 50 hours of cross-country flying.
3) Qualified GES.
Note 1: Personnel presently current and qualified as a SAR/DR Mission Pilot are automatically qualified as a TMP.
Note 2: On authorized ES missions TMPs can only:
• Transport Emergency Services qualified CAP members required for an authorized mission
• Ferry aircraft required for an authorized ES mission
• Fly "high bird" communications sorties on an authorized ES mission
• Current and qualified FAA private pilots may transport parts and equipment owned by CAP or a CAP member to a mission base or staging area
• Current and qualified FAA commercial pilots may transport parts and equipment not owned by CAP

Assuming enough hours, etc., many wings (mine for example) expect and will soon require all Form-5 pilots to also be TMP's.  The issue right now is getting them to take the IS-700 online test.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3
2-3. Specialty Rating Requirements and Performance Standards.
n. Search and Rescue (SAR)/Disaster Relief (DR) Mission Pilot (MP).
1) Trainee Prerequisites. Satisfy the following to begin training for MP:
a) At least 18 years of age.
b) Current and qualified CAP pilot in accordance with CAPR 60-1, with at least 175 hours pilot in command time.
c) Qualified Transport Mission Pilot.
d) Qualified Mission Scanner.
e) Qualified GES.
2) Qualified. Complete all requirements listed in the most current version of the Aircrew and Flight Line Task Guide for MP.

Note: To become a qualified SAR/DR Mission Pilot, the member must have at least 200 hours pilot in command time including at least 50 hours of cross-country flying.

CAPR 35-6 contains the requirements for Senior and Command Pilot wings, respectively:
Quote from: CAPR 35-6, Page 1
CAP Senior Pilot Rating:
1) Meet CAP pilot rating requirements.
2) Have been an active CAP-rated pilot for at least 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 1,000 hours pilot time logged in accordance with Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs).

e. CAP Command Pilot Rating:
1) Meet CAP senior pilot requirements.
2) Have been an active CAP pilot or senior pilot for at least 5 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 2,000 hours pilot time logged in accordance with FARs.

"That Others May Zoom"

airdale

"Ok, I'm confused.  In E-Services ..."

Why would you think this is unusual?

argentip

Eclipse - Your quoted text from 60-1 does not appear in the current version.  They must have taken it out when they "streamlined" the reg.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Eclipse

Good catch - that's from the Feb 2008 version, however to my understanding nothing has change.

Where is that now?

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

QuoteCAP Pilot is someone current (Within a current form5/91) and able to fly. See the difference now?

Corrected.

This was ment to mean Current CAPF5 OR CAPF91, which would be correct. Sorry, should have used || instead of /.

Additionally since a CAPF91 needs a current CAPF5 it could be understandable to reduce the statment to just a CAPF5.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

DG

h. CAP Instrument Pilot – Qualified to operate as Pilot in Command of CAP aircraft in Visual or Instrument Meteorological Conditions.
i. CAP Solo Pilot – Qualified to solo CAP aircraft. Solo is limited to Gliders or Single Engine Land Airplanes that are not Complex, High Performance (except C182 airplanes), tailwheel, or ski/float equipped.
j. CAP Tow Pilot – Qualified to use a CAP airplane to tow CAP gliders.
k. CAP VFR Pilot – Qualified to operate as Pilot in Command of CAP aircraft in Visual Meteorological Conditions.

CrewDog

Simply stated:

To be a CAP Pilot one must pass a Form 5 check ride.

To be a CAP Mission Pilot one must meet the SQTR Requirements and pass a Form 91 Check ride.  The Form 5 is an annual Check, the Form 91 is required every 2 years.

Each requires the pilot to fly with a check pilot authorized to give the particular check ride.

Mustang

Almost. With the advent of "CAP VFR Pilot" and "CAP Instrument Pilot", CAP Pilot now refers to the aeronautical rating (wings).

DG

Quote from: CrewDog on March 24, 2009, 06:59:06 PM
Simply stated:

To be a CAP Pilot one must pass a Form 5 check ride.

To be a CAP Mission Pilot one must meet the SQTR Requirements and pass a Form 91 Check ride.  The Form 5 is an annual Check, the Form 91 is required every 2 years.

Each requires the pilot to fly with a check pilot authorized to give the particular check ride.

If you are writing a definition for CAP Pilot and/or CAP Mission Pilot, you need to add certain mandated requirements including, inter alia, completion of the required ICS courses, required attendance at safety meetings, required FAA currency....

flyguy06

You should really have pinning ceremonies as well I think. So a new pilot member doesnt get confused with the regs. His/her unit Flight OPS Officer should really be the one guiding them through the qualification and just to make it all cute and fancy the unit commander should be the one to present themember their wings in front of the entire squadron.

Mustang

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 26, 2009, 11:03:15 PM
You should really have pinning ceremonies as well I think. So a new pilot member doesnt get confused with the regs. His/her unit Flight OPS Officer should really be the one guiding them through the qualification...

Or a pilot mentor.