First plausible flying car takes flight

Started by Eclipse, March 18, 2009, 02:51:09 PM

Eclipse

More pics & video at Jalopnik:  http://jalopnik.com/5173389/terrafugia-flying-car-makes-first-flight

Boston, MA – March 18, 2009: Terrafugia, Inc., a game-changing aircraft company, announced today the first flight of its Transition® Roadable Aircraft Proof of Concept. Often referred to as a "flying car", the Transition® is a two-seat aircraft designed to take off and land at local airports and drive on any road. Transforming from plane to car takes the pilot less than 30 seconds.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Neat Idea.  I wonder if they took into consideration the aerodynamic effect of putting two side mirors on it :)

It obviously flies, but there is a significant number of additions that would be required to meet DOT safety requirements and state inspection requirements...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SilverEagle2

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

dwb

It's about time!  Now where are my X-Ray Specs?

♠SARKID♠

Great job for science, its a lot more stable than the first flying car I saw.  I just hope we never see the days where everyone in the world has them.

swamprat86

Why?  Just image the number of missions we could get out of this.  ;)

Always Ready

^ :o ;D :clap: ;D ;) YES! Everyone call up NHQ and bug them to start the R&D for us to field it!

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Always Ready on March 18, 2009, 05:41:23 PM
^ :o ;D :clap: ;D ;) YES! Everyone call up NHQ and bug them to start the R&D for us to field it!

Jeez I've never seen someone so exited about car accidents before.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCO forever on March 18, 2009, 05:47:44 PM

Does this mean that the NTSB will get into the business of investigating all car accidents with these involved?  Might slow down insurance payments... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

They need to order 600 of them right now!  Slap in a becker and you have the perfect CAP ELT hunting vehicle.  Fly around till you hear it, then drive up to the door using the Becker... >:D :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Always Ready

I like smashes and crashes >:D

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 18, 2009, 05:50:17 PM

Does this mean that the NTSB will get into the business of investigating all car accidents with these involved?  Might slow down insurance payments... >:D

Ok nevermind...that means it will be a few years before the insurance pays the payoff. Drat! But think of the increase of job opportunities at the FAA and NTSB. See I've just solved our economic problems!  :D

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 18, 2009, 08:11:35 PM

They need to order 600 of them right now!  Slap in a becker and you have the perfect CAP ELT hunting vehicle.  Fly around till you hear it, then drive up to the door using the Becker... >:D :D

EXACTLY! We'd have a faster response time too. Which we all know what that means...more time for doughnuts and coffee :D >:D

NIN

But you'll have to take the other seat out of it. And no cadets.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Always Ready

tarheel gumby

I can't wait till they get the 15 pax version of this then we could really field some unique teams with them :D :D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Major Lord

I think in California that would only be a motorcycle, since it looks like it only has three wheels, and is not a metermaid car. Does it have drive wheels or do you drive it around town with the whirling push-prop running? Its darn cool whatever they call it!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

ctim

Wow. They were finally able to get the test flight to work.  I think I need to get as better job so I can get one! ;)

Gunner C

Quote from: Major Lord on March 19, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
I think in California that would only be a motorcycle, since it looks like it only has three wheels, and is not a metermaid car. Does it have drive wheels or do you drive it around town with the whirling push-prop running? Its darn cool whatever they call it!

Major Lord
Front wheel drive.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787