"Donate" Links on CAP Websites

Started by PhoenixRisen, March 05, 2009, 10:22:53 PM

PhoenixRisen

So - in noticing the donation form on eServices, and the public one on the GLR page - I'm curious.  Has anyone set up a donation section on your squadron webpage?  Is this allowed within regs (for local squadrons)?

If so - has anyone else done this?  What would be the best way?  An online service like PayPal (or a simple form on your site)?  Simply listing a mailing addy?

I couldn't find any specifics here:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R173_004_3C78BD19C872E.pdf

Though, from what I see - it wouldn't be a problem as long as we follow the guidelines.

Would this be something that (according to para. 3, sec. a) we would need the Wing King's approval for?

Thanks,
PC

gistek

CAP REGULATION 173-4
SECTION A – GENERAL INFORMATION
8. Donation or Bequest of Money. A Donation Receipt is completed when money is donated or bequeathed to CAP. A Donation Receipt must be executed for all donations of $250 or more where no goods or services are provided to the donor and all donations of $75 or more where goods or services are provided to the donor. See Attachment 1, which may be reproduced locally. It is important that it is completely filled out and a copy retained in the corporate officer's file accepting the donation. Funds received by donation or bequest must be accounted for as required by CAPR 173-1, Financial Procedures and Accounting Report for Units Below Wing Level, and CAPR 173-2, Financial Procedures for CAP Regions and Wings. Units below wing level receiving donations or bequests in excess of $5,000 must notify their wing financial officer and NHQ CAP/FM within 30 days of receipt of the donation or bequest.

1. Contact your Wing Financial Officer for permission to add a donation link to your website.

2. If approved, coordinate the transfer of donated funds from PayPal (or other service) to the appropriate sub-account in your Wing's bank account.

3. Make sure your Finance Officer and/or Information Technology officer fully understand about checking the PayPal account and providing receipts. I'm not sure how much this part can be automated.

4. Let us know how things work out.

PhoenixRisen

If only CAP was a bit simpler...

Why is it that donations cannot go directly to the squadron it was donated to?  I've never understood their reasoning behind the wings taking all the money...

Eclipse

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 05, 2009, 11:19:54 PM

Why is it that donations cannot go directly to the squadron it was donated to?  I've never understood their reasoning behind the wings taking all the money...

They are going direct to your squadron.  Wing is not taking anything.  The funds would go directly into your Wing Banker Program account, which is simply tracked through the WBP.

WBP simply tracks the money, by regulation, and barring some local policy, wing staffers have no more input, authority or interest in your money than they had when your unit had to have its own account at the local S&L.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on March 05, 2009, 11:19:54 PM

The Wing is the "Corporate" entity within the state. Only they can write receipts, sign contracts, or accept donations. Squadrons and Groups do not have that ability. In other words -Legally it's their money
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PhoenixRisen

Ah, forgive me.  Thank you for the clarification, gentlemen.

flyguync

An easier way around that is a booster club or if you have an extra $750.00 laying around start your own non profit ie youth aviation foundation, the folks that sell shirts and caps on ebay.

Ned

Quote from: flyguync on March 06, 2009, 12:35:50 AM
An easier way around that is a booster club or if you have an extra $750.00 laying around start your own non profit ie youth aviation foundation, the folks that sell shirts and caps on ebay.

But do check the new CAPR 173-4 for significant restrictions on "booster clubs" to make sure you do it correctly.

gistek

Also, your unit and my unit may both have very competent and conscientious finance officers, there were problems with some units not maintaining adequate records. When corporate audits had to be conducted, some wings had difficulty maintaining their 501c status.

Wing banking puts all the record keeping requirements on the Wing Finance Officer. Unit finance officers are only responsible for submitting deposits and payment requests. Most also keep a parallel ledger to help catch any errors that might occur.

The request to Wing that I listed as number 1, has been a requirement for many years. There are two reasons for this. One is to make sure the fund raising activity is not a prohibited type. the other is to make sure the unit isn't trying to beg from the same companies that Wing is contacting.

I doubt a PayPal donation button would be a problem in either case, but the Wing Finance Officer will need to confirm the bank account so money can be transferred.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: gistek on March 07, 2009, 12:30:52 AM
Also, your unit and my unit may both have very competent and conscientious finance officers, there were problems with some units not maintaining adequate records. When corporate audits had to be conducted, some wings had difficulty maintaining their 501c status.

Wing banking puts all the record keeping requirements on the Wing Finance Officer. Unit finance officers are only responsible for submitting deposits and payment requests. Most also keep a parallel ledger to help catch any errors that might occur.

The request to Wing that I listed as number 1, has been a requirement for many years. There are two reasons for this. One is to make sure the fund raising activity is not a prohibited type. the other is to make sure the unit isn't trying to beg from the same companies that Wing is contacting.

I doubt a PayPal donation button would be a problem in either case, but the Wing Finance Officer will need to confirm the bank account so money can be transferred.

Thanks, gistek.

I have no doubts about the financial officer at my squadron (given, we have only two SM officers, since we're brand-spankin' new).  They have been working with local SM's from other squadrons getting all of our required tasks (reports, paperwork, etc.).  I'm going to draft up some type of proposal and forward it to my commander within the week.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

flyguync

How did you even get a charter with only 2 sr members???

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PhoenixRisen

No clue...

(We technically had / have 3 SM's on the roster, given one of them is at the USAFA right now.)

That was way above my paygrade.   :angel:

PhoenixRisen