Main Menu

C-5 Pics

Started by jb512, March 05, 2009, 12:11:58 AM

jb512

For anyone who might possibly be interested, here are some pics from inside the C-5.  I'm like a kid with a new toy.

jb512

Couple more..

PHall

You sure can tell that's a "schoolhouse" airplane. That cargo compartment is so nice and clean! ;D

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

flyguy06

Are you a crewmember?

jb512

Gunner C

Quote from: PHall on March 05, 2009, 01:39:34 AM
You sure can tell that's a "schoolhouse" airplane. That cargo compartment is so nice and clean! ;D
I was about to say . . . That's the cleanest airlifter I've ever seen.

I didn't look like it was leaking anything, either. 

Extra credit trivia question:

Anyone know what they call a USAF aircraft that doesn't leak?

Pylon

Quote from: Gunner C on March 05, 2009, 09:06:26 PM
Extra credit trivia question:

Still in production?  Mythical? 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SJFedor

Retired to the boneyard? Out of fuel and hydraulic fluid?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Gunner C

Quote from: SJFedor on March 05, 2009, 09:10:09 PM

Retired to the boneyard? Out of fuel and hydraulic fluid?
Empty  ;D

PHall

On the C-141. it was very easy to figure out which passengers had ticked off the Load, they were the ones seated below the flap pack.

The flap pack is the hydraulic drive motor that raises and lowers the flaps, and usually leaks some hydraulic fluid in the process!

Gunner C

I should have been a nicer jumpmaster.  ;D

Flying Pig

Holy Cow.  You could put bleachers in that cockpit and run your PFT in the cargo bay.  Does the C-5 still have Flight Engineers or Navigators?  I saw the 3rd seat with the table in the photo.

PHall

The C-5 still has Flight Engineer's and can carry a Navigator.
The Nav's are usually used when the aircraft is going to fly above 60 degrees North/South since the rapid magnetic variations near the poles do weird things to the Nav systems.
They carry the Nav so they can use "Grid Navigation" instead.

jb512

Sorry, I was lucky enough to take a break for the weekend..

It may look clean in the photos, but step off the grip tape on the floor and you'll end up sliding to where you're going.  We are actually using AFRC aircraft that fly regular missions and they just give us one that's not being used at the moment when we go out to mess around.

From what I understand we don't use Navs anymore because of all the GPS and other nav equipment that runs the world these days, but I could be wrong... not the first time.   ;)

There's a ton of room in the thing and I forgot to take pics of the seating for 75 up in the troop compartment on top of that.  Which, by the way, I didn't realize until not too long ago that I have to play flight attendant as well...

I've heard stories of the seated skateboard races down the cargo floor during takeoff, or the zip line race during takeoff where one load bounced off the aft pressure door when he failed to stop in time... good stuff.  Basketball and arena football seem like they'd work in there too.

bosshawk

As a military retiree, I have privileges like riding on AF aircraft on a "space available" basis.  In 1996, I flew on a C-5A from Travis, via Elemendorf and Yokota to Kunsan, Korea.  I was able to talk my way into riding up on the flight deck for the entire trip.  Since the crew did not include a Navigator, I made all the takeoffs and landing riding in the Navigators station: right behind the aircraft commander.  It was a most interesting ride and one that I won't forget ever.  The crew compartment also includes a bunk room, a lounge/kitchen and a courier compartment that has something like 15-18 airline-type seats.  It is almost big enough to play a half court game of basketball up there.

Down below, no moving around in the cargo compartment: we were full from the front ramp to the rear ramp with cargo.  The troop compartment was also full, mostly with retirees traveling to either Alaska, Japan or Korea.

Just for fun, our takeoff weight at Elmendorf was about 714,000 lbs, if I remember correctly.  slightly more than my Bonanza!!!!

The C-141 that I rode on from Korea to Okinawa looked tiny by comparison: it really wasn't .
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

You want something to do on an empty airplane, go pallet surfing!

Place pallet in pallet position 2, get a running start and jump on the pallet and see how many positions you can go. First one to the ramp wins!

In-flight you just reverse the above, i.e. start at the ramp since the aircraft usually flies nose up approx 1 to 3 degrees and making the ramp is a no-brainer. Just make sure the pallet buffer is installed so you don't hit the front wall with a pallet!

We used to do this on the C-141 and the KC-10 and I've heard of it being done on the C-130.
But at only 6 pallet positions, I don't count the 130 as being much of a challenge.

bosshawk

sounds like you guys had too much time on your hands and too much imagination.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jb512

Quote from: PHall on March 09, 2009, 05:12:08 AM
You want something to do on an empty airplane, go pallet surfing!

Place pallet in pallet position 2, get a running start and jump on the pallet and see how many positions you can go. First one to the ramp wins!

In-flight you just reverse the above, i.e. start at the ramp since the aircraft usually flies nose up approx 1 to 3 degrees and making the ramp is a no-brainer. Just make sure the pallet buffer is installed so you don't hit the front wall with a pallet!

We used to do this on the C-141 and the KC-10 and I've heard of it being done on the C-130.
But at only 6 pallet positions, I don't count the 130 as being much of a challenge.

I'll report back and let you know how I did...  ;D

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on March 09, 2009, 05:21:46 AM
sounds like you guys had too much time on your hands and too much imagination.

Empty airplane on a repositioning leg. ;D