Main Menu

Thigh Rigs

Started by ctim, March 03, 2009, 01:46:52 PM

ctim

Has anyone had any experience with thigh rigs/pouches for ES of any sort? Are they comfortable to wear or are they restricting? Do you have to have a special belt to hook them to, or will any belt do?
Thanks

Stonewall

I've used and carried a "drop holster" for my pistol for many years in the military and in some cases as a cop (usually carried it on my duty belt).

I have been issued and tried out a thigh rig similar to this.  Mine was from Diamondback Tactical, but I can't access that site from my work as it gets caught by the filter.

It seems like a decent idea, but they are very bulky to wear as medical gear is not small.  Figure you'll have bandages, pocket mask, scissors, tape, etc.  It's like adding 6" of width to your leg.  And don't even think about driving a car with it still on.  Even walking through a doorway, you'll hit the side every time.

I'm still convinced it's a bad idea, but I have yet to find a reasonable argument to say it's a great idea.

Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

I've got a drop bag for medical and a different one for all the "on person" stuff.

If you're going to be walking around for an extended period of time they are fine and handy, but if you're getting in and out of a regular passenger vehicles, they are a PITA.

I don't use them much, and only have them because they were part of a very good deal I got that included a TAC vest.

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

I have one that I usually use in the winter for extra space. I don't have any problems with walking or running with it on; it might be uncomfortable if you are of shorter stature. It is a pain to were in a vehicle, but if you are getting in and out of a vehicle allot it's not to hard to take the rig of and leave it in the vehicle.

swamprat86

I have one that I use to carry my Nalgene bottle and some other items.  It has a quick release on it so I can take it off my belt easily for getting in vehicles.  I use it a lot at encampments since I don't need a full pistol belt or camelback, it doesn't take up as much space when I am not wearing it in the barracks so I can put it on my desk and it won't get in the way.  I haven't had the opportunity to use it in an ES field environment since I still have my old rig.

I agree about using it for medical, may be a little too cumbersome, but for carrying water and smaller items without a belt or bag, I like it.

Flying Pig

When I was a SWAT EMT, I carried a model by pro med kits.

www.promedkits.com 

SJFedor

Speaking from the medical side of the house, the thigh rigs are only gonna be able to carry some basic stuff, which is all we really need/are allowed to use anyway.

But personally, I'd want a jump bag that's a little bigger and allows for me to carry more numbers of the basic supplies. That thigh rig that Lt. Steht referred to is good for a single casualty, but not that great if you have more then 1 person to care for.

Plus, that kit is more designed for someone sustaining penetrating injuries, i.e. gunshot wounds. It would scare me to death to think of anyone less than a Paramedic/RN/MD running around with 2 14ga angiocaths.

First time a plus sized senior member is hiking up a hill and gets winded, you'd end up with someone going "oooh! spontaneous tension pneumo!" and darting the poor guy.

[/sarcasm]

But for little things, if you wanna shell out the $$ for it, mainly for, of course, the cool factor, then sure, why not?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

notaNCO forever

Quote from: SJFedor on March 03, 2009, 04:56:39 PM
But for little things, if you wanna shell out the $$ for it, mainly for, of course, the cool factor, then sure, why not?

Isn't the cool factor the only reason to buy new gear anyways?

Stonewall

Quote from: NCO forever on March 03, 2009, 05:03:05 PM
Isn't the cool factor the only reason to buy new gear anyways?

Duh.  That's rule #1.  If nothing else, look high speed.

SJFedor is correct on the small size of the thigh rig.  Yes, we do carry these "individual medical kits" for ourselves (not for others).  If carrying a "team bag", you need to think about more than one casualty.

Many moons ago I was at a DOD Agency's "capabilities day" where an AF PJ had his personal jump bag that he would carry for missions similar to "Blackhawk Down"; as if he were on a team vs. responding to a specific emergency.

In his bag he had vacuum packed mini-trauma kits, about 6 of them.  Each them had about 6 items like pressure dressing, OPA, Kerlix, chest seal and maybe something else.  Can't remember off the top of my head.  That day, I put together the same exact thing for my CAP squadron's Team Medic Kit (medium rucksack with rubbermade container).

Today, almost 14 years later, I see these all over the place.  Even sold as an "item" from high speed gear or tacmed companies.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Wow - great idea - could you put up more details, maybe in a seperate thread?

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2009, 05:36:49 PM
Wow - great idea - could you put up more details, maybe in a seperate thread?

I think I have one in my truck, in my trauma bag.  If I get a minute I may be able to pull it out and give a quick assessment.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here ya go.  I think this is still relevant to the OP, so I don't know if it's necessary to make it a separate thread....

I found a good example online at a high quality tactical gear website (based out of Bragg):  Check out The Grey Group's site for medical kit.

The Individual Trauma Kit is intended to treat life threatening traumatic injuries. Such as amputations, punctures, deep cuts, and abrasions.

ITK (Individual Trauma Kit)
Bag (vacuum sealed bag)
Israeli Bandage 4"
Celox (small) --- Similar but better than Quick Clot
Gloves
Chem-Light
Z-Pack Bandage
2 rolls Kerlix 2"
Elastic Bandage 3"

This is more for combat or law enforcement.  But you can make these to fit your needs, i.e. SAR (the non-combat type).

Here is a larger kit.

The Individual Combat Medical Kit is designed for the rapid treatment of gunshot wounds, sucking chest wounds, and the control of major bleeding. It is intended to be carried on your person, or in a range bag. This kit is also designed to be self applied by the victim.

ICMK (Individual Combat Medical Kit)
Bag (vacuum sealed bag)
Tourniquet (Soft w/ Aluminum twist bar)
Celox (Large)
Gloves
Chem-Light
Z-Pack Gauze
Israeli Bandage (4")
Asherman Chest Seal
Roll Kerlix (2")
NPA

Notice the NPA, Celox and Asherman Chest Seal.  These are two things I would put in mine if I could afford it.  I have these in my larger bag, but not in an individual "hand out" pack.

Serving since 1987.

isuhawkeye

The transformer series SAR vest actually cionverts from a vest into two thigh packs. 

I have written some info on these products here
http://www.halbrookassociates.com/halbrook_associatescom/2008/05/true-north-tran.html

For medical Thigh packs I love www.promedkits.com

♠SARKID♠

I just finished setting up my gear just the way I like it (only took me five years...) by adding a thigh rig.  The way I have my gear separated is by what I call my "ramp gear" and my "field duty" gear.  Mostly everything is carried in the ramp gear (Camelbak Mule MaxGear); its set up for UDF, airshows, night security, etc.  The leg bag holds my stuff that I would need on an extended forest hike (extra food, GTM handbook, spare poncho, and soon some more medical stuff).  It all comes with me, but I'll leave the leg bag in the vehicle if I don't need it.

I chose the leg bag because I hate having things across my chest and waist and my back was already taken by the ramp gear.  That pretty much left my leg as the only available real-estate.

Plus, as always, looks count.

maverik

I have a cheap condor one for comms which can hold my mini note book, 4 pencils,4 pens, 1 fat sharpie, a roll of scotch tape, 1 Icom (Ihave a headset if you're wondering how does he use that??) oh yeah and a twix bar  ;D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

JayT

I never really understood these for CAP work.

Every justification I've ever heard is that they allow 'me to get to my stuff fast.'

What do CAP ground teams need rapid access too?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

heliodoc

^^^^^^^
Snickers and other pogey bait

notaNCO forever

Quote from: JThemann on March 04, 2009, 11:14:26 PM
I never really understood these for CAP work.

Every justification I've ever heard is that they allow 'me to get to my stuff fast.'

What do CAP ground teams need rapid access too?

Sometimes when you need a donut you need it as fast as possible no time to take off gear.

hatentx

I agree a Simple Assault pack, vest and a but pack work for everything I need.

As it comes to medical supplies i carry:
box of band aids
2 rolls or kerlex
tape
2 SAM Splints
2 Turnicits
MoleSkin
Electrolyte Powder/gel
2 Ace Bandages
Pressure Dressing
Scissors

Basically I am looking for things to stop someone from bleeding out, splint broken bones and bandage up broken cadets ie dehydration, cuts, scraps and such.  Do I know how to stick an IV, yes, can I stick you for tension pnemothoraux yes but again these are unlikly and being that I am not civilian certified I am not going to do so.  99% or the time you are going to be dealing with dehydration and blisters on Cadets.  I would venture to say I pack to much med gear but for me it works. 

If we see anything more than that then we are in a hurting to begin with. 

JayT

There's no such thing as too much medical gear........
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."