Changing level one to be useful BMT

Started by Eclipse, February 24, 2009, 04:06:05 PM

Eclipse

For the purposes of this, lets say BMT = Basic Member Training.

We were discussing the ongoing challenges to our members in regards to prerequisites for various activities and progression.
Its been the same conversation for the 10 years I've been in CAP, and I'm sure has been similar since day 1.

Today we give a Membership Ribbon for completion of Level 1, which is just the online pre-tests, the summary conversation with the commander, and CPT.

The combatant services, as well as LEA's and FD's require completion of a baseline training by all participants, regardless of their ultimate career specialty to insure that the entire corps has the same fundamental understanding of mission and the short hand of language that comes with a shared experience.  It also insures that everyone in the organization has the same bare-minimum skillset, so that members are interchangeable in a pinch.

Rather than the checkbox mentality of Level 1 today, I would propose that the expectation be extended to encompass at least the 6 months between entry and 2d Lt.

Within the first 30 days:
Existing Level 1 and CPT, along with any localized unit SOP's and training.
(this allows for compliance with regulatory requirements needed for other training and activities)

To achieve the membership ribbon and 2d Lt:
     Training on the use of the WMU, eServices, and other online resources.

Declare specialty track(s).

Online:
          EEO
          OPSEC
          ORM
          Basic Safety

GES, as well as ICS 100/200/700/800

B-Cut level or higher radio operator's card.

Fam & Prep tasks for
          MSA
          UDF

Training on the use of the WMU, eServices, and other online resources. (duplicate)

For Seniors:

CAP Driver's License (for those qualified)

Basics of Drill and uniform wear at the same level as a Curry Cadet.

Required Staff Training (as prescribed by 52-16 for encampments)
          Good for several years, or until the training is updated / changed.

For cadets:
     Summary training of unit operations and staff positions.

The above would fully integrate the members, both cadet and senior, with an understanding of CAP's operations, provide them with the baseline qualifications to operate in just about any situation or activity they are interested in, negates the "we don't do ES/Cadets" mentality, and provides for a common experience to all who wear the uniform.

It might look a bit ES-heavy, but I contend that the ORM/ICS mentality is crucial to any activity and would benefit everyone.

Radios are used in plenty of cadet activities, as are CAP DL's, and the RST thing should be a once-and-done situation, not the multi-annual refresher we have to go through, plus, hazing might be easier in an encampment environment, but plenty of it happens back at home as well.

Those seniors who don't want to have anything to do with cadets will be force to at least address that they are part of the organization, will understand their responsibilities when cadets are around, and I would contend be more inclined to participate in cadet activities.

Completed over a 6-month period, the above is far from onerous, and considering that most members are at their most enthusiastic towards training in that first year, catches a lot of baseline training when the member is most open to it.

Upon award, the membership ribbon actually means something, and provides an expectation when people see it being worn.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

swamprat86

Overall, I think the idea is sound.  One of the biggest complaints from new seniors is that join and end up not having anything to do.  This should keep them engaged.  I'm not sure on the details, I will have to let that digest.

With the way this is set up, I expect that cadets could earn this or get credit for most of it when they transition to senior?

DogCollar

I'm not sure.  Personally, I don't see level 1, as it now exists is problem.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Capt_Redfox30

I really like that idea.  Not all seniors make not like it, but I have known to many that are, well I am a Pilot, I wear my flight suit, I don't need to know how to wear a uniform.  (No Offense to the Pilots).  

As a Group PDO, I can see that many Seniors have only one specialty track that has been at the technician level for 8 years.  To many want to do the one thing and not advance.  If they had a better understanding of the program, they may choice to advance.    

WIWAC I was obligated to have an understanding of all Three Missions, but the seniors didn't have to.  I have always felt that was wrong.  The Military and other departments train everyone in every aspect of the job so one can fill in in case someone is not available.

With the positive changes that we have had in the Program over the last year, mostly on the Senior Side I think national might take note of this.  

They want everyone to complete Organizational Excellence, why not this?    
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

Phil Hirons, Jr.

A good concept. I would suggest a few reductions

ICS 100/700 in place of ICS 100/200/700/800.

While B-CUT is highly desireable it is not in the new members control when (or if) is a available.

I'd settle for Curry minus the drill movements. Keep proper saluting, difference C&C for the numerous uniforms.

These would also apply to anyone requesting any special appointment of grade (mission, professional...)
The result  you see someone wearing officer grade, you know they've got the basics

davidsinn

Quote from: DogCollar on February 24, 2009, 04:24:59 PM

I see lvl 1 as a joke. We have butterbars Lieutenants running around that don't know 20-1 from a magazine because our intro training doesn't teach anything.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Pylon

Quote from: DogCollar on February 24, 2009, 04:24:59 PM

Many of us do.  Even a properly administered Level I, with a great commander or other officer conducting good summary conversations and really covering modules our members still come out of Level I with a barely cursory understanding of CAP.

An actual course would be helpful. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

notaNCO forever

I would throw some basics about aerospace in their.

EMT-83

Much of this could be implemented on a local level, without waiting for NHQ. I tell all my new seniors that Level 1 is required in 30 days; GES and NIMS during the next 30 days. Then we start looking at specialty tracks.

It's about creating expectations right from the beginning. If you expect new members to do nothing, that's what you'll get.

NC Hokie

There's a lot of good stuff in there Eclipse, but I think you're going overboard on some of it.  Here are my modifications (with reasoning):

- Eliminate ICS 200 and 800, as they are not required for most entry-level ES jobs.

- Change the fam and prep requirements from MRA and UDF to any ES task the member chooses.

- Dump B-CUT, for the reason phirons gave above (lack of guaranteed availability).

- Reduce the drill requirements to the bare minimums; seniors should know how to salute, how to report to a senior officer, and how to stand in a stationary formation.  Marching and facing movements are nice, but most seniors will never need to be proficient in those.

- I wouldn't require WMU training or RST unless the senior wants to work in areas that require them.

I would be fully on-board with a meatier Level I, as it would communicate that membership in CAP means something more than "I have a clean criminal record and some money to burn on annual dues."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

majdomke

Wasn't this the whole point of Great Start for Seniors? I'd love to see regularly scheduled weekend training events for new seniors that cover the Great Start program. This can be done at the group level, much like the Basic Cadet School we run here in CA.

Capt_Redfox30

The Chief of Staff of my Group and Myself are working on a New Senior Orientation Program.  Will cover all Level One Online Training, Uniform Wear, Basic Drill, Saluting/Reporting/Formation etc.   Will be a lot of information, but can be totally covered in One weekend.   

The Great Start Program is good, but how many Squadrons/Groups have time during there meetings to actually conduct the training properly? 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

majdomke

With cadets, we plan it as part of our regular meetings for five weeks with one Saturday for field day. You can also do this over the course of a weekend. With seniors, its the same thing which is why I mentioned doing on a weekend. Great Start is a well planned program with guidelines for times in it. You don't have to follow it verbatim, but use it as a guide.

DogCollar

Quote from: NC Hokie on February 24, 2009, 05:11:17 PM
There's a lot of good stuff in there Eclipse, but I think you're going overboard on some of it.  Here are my modifications (with reasoning):

- Eliminate ICS 200 and 800, as they are not required for most entry-level ES jobs.

- Change the fam and prep requirements from MRA and UDF to any ES task the member chooses.

- Dump B-CUT, for the reason phirons gave above (lack of guaranteed availability).

- Reduce the drill requirements to the bare minimums; seniors should know how to salute, how to report to a senior officer, and how to stand in a stationary formation.  Marching and facing movements are nice, but most seniors will never need to be proficient in those.

- I wouldn't require WMU training or RST unless the senior wants to work in areas that require them.

I would be fully on-board with a meatier Level I, as it would communicate that membership in CAP means something more than "I have a clean criminal record and some money to burn on annual dues."

I can go along with these suggestions.  I think that anything more...and there will most likely be diminishing returns.  Also, requiring a specialty track would knock out half the seniors in my squadron who are more focused on ES ratings.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Trung Si Ma

The last time I had a cadet squadron, we made all of the seniors complete the curry requirements.

With that in mind, I would rather see a BMT that was exactly the same for cadets and seniors with the addition of the CAP DL for seniors.  Let the cadets take CPPT, it sure isn't going to hurt them.  Having the cadets and seniors fully understand each others program is a plus.

Think of it as a six month, wing/group run program that starts each quarter and ends with a pass in review, formal graduation type thing.  Use only one ribbon for both (I'd keep the Curry for the historical tie-in) and let it carry over to the senior side if their is no break in service.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

arajca

The basic idea is sound and I agree with most of the changes suggested. I will make this suggestion - change B-CUT to I-CUT (after roll out). I-CUT will be an online 'course' and will replace B-CUT. Removes the availability arguement.

I do not agree with making seniors complete the Curry requirements. Also, adding local requirements to the promotion requirements is a violation of CAPR 35-1:
Quote from: CAPR 35-1
1-1. General. Criteria for promotion of CAP senior members will be applied uniformly throughout Civil Air Patrol. CAP unit supplements to this regulation in the form of publications or oral instructions that change the basic policies, criteria, procedures, and practices prescribed herein are prohibited.

So, those who require completion of the Curry requirements for seniors are in violation of the regs.

For those seniors who do not want to do anything besides ES, inform them that if they cannot be bothered to help the unit, the unit cannot be bothered to help them. It sounds mean, but why should I as a non-ES member have to carry the burden for ES members?

lordmonar

In principle I think this would be a good idea.

I-CUT or B-CUT would be useful as well as getting all your basic ES stuff out of the way.  (I would not drop B-CUT due to lack of availaibilty.....this may be a way of forcing the comm guys to start providing this training or allowing more unit comm officers/commanders to do this training.

I like the idea about some drill and ceremonies...as well as most of the stuff in the curry test....we would/should make a modified test that covers all the basics.....ranks, military customs, flag etiquit, followership.

Having said all that.....does this really solve the "box checking" for level I?

None of the training suggested is really all that hard.   Except that B-CUT is so far and few between....there is not really anything that would prevent someone from knocking out all the suggested training in less then a month.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Lets face it.  I need all the members I can get just to meet what I need done. The vast majority of the members I have are either here for ES strickly and to be pilots or Observers (not a whole lot of 'em interested in GT) and the other half are here and are members only so they can spend time with their kids in cadet programs.  I have very few who are interested in both.  They get in, get their required classes completed and do what needs to be done.  Obviously the ES oriented ones go on to complete other things, but the ones who are here for their kids are not going to get UDF, Ground Team or Aircrew qualified.  The ones here like ES, arent really interested in attending activities with cadets and the ones here for cadets could care less about ES.
Thats just the way it is, and those are the members I have.  I have explained to them that "buying into" the CAP culture is valuable.  But beyond thee "requirements", I let it go.
But, both spectrums seem to get accomplished.   I just done have people with a foot on each side.

So...with that said.....we dont need anymore basic membership requirements.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on February 24, 2009, 07:40:49 PM
The basic idea is sound and I agree with most of the changes suggested. I will make this suggestion - change B-CUT to I-CUT (after roll out). I-CUT will be an online 'course' and will replace B-CUT. Removes the availability argument.

I do not agree with making seniors complete the Curry requirements. Also, adding local requirements to the promotion requirements is a violation of CAPR 35-1:
Quote from: CAPR 35-1
1-1. General. Criteria for promotion of CAP senior members will be applied uniformly throughout Civil Air Patrol. CAP unit supplements to this regulation in the form of publications or oral instructions that change the basic policies, criteria, procedures, and practices prescribed herein are prohibited.

So, those who require completion of the Curry requirements for seniors are in violation of the regs.

I can't speak to what other units might be doing today, this is a suggestion to raise the bar at the national level which would include changing the regulations regarding promotion requirements.

Also, in my case Seniors would not pass or or receive Curry, I am only suggesting that the same ground-level understanding of drill and uniforms be incorporated into senior training.

"That Others May Zoom"