Authorized use of CAP Aircraft

Started by blackrain, January 16, 2009, 06:47:53 PM

blackrain

Quote from: FW on January 19, 2009, 12:04:42 PM
Yes.  
This would not be considered "Official use of CAP assets".  He would be using the aircraft to get to his job which happens to be "official Air Force business".  He would be using the aircraft as a CAP member.  He is not a CAP employee nor would he be a passenger in a CAP aircraft being transported for any mission supported by CAP.  Riv, the Air Force would look very poorly on this type of use for the aircraft.  Not only would he jeopardise his membership, he could jeopardise the membership of the FRO, unit commander and wing commander.  He could also possibly be terminated from his employment.  I doubt if this is worth the effort. It would be much easier for the member to just rent an aircraft from the local FBO and fly to an airport close by.

Whoa.............Hold on a minute.

I've already asked the Squadron Commander and he's checking to see if it's allowed.

I'm talking about an Air Force authorized and required TDY that the Air Force would paying for anyway (airfare included). Some destinations are not close to the major airports and as we all know airports that are out of the way that do have commercial service may not have a lot of competion and the airfare reflects that. Flexibility on scheduling is good too when you're not tied to a commercial schedule.

Yes I would enjoy the flying too.

I'm not trying to hide anything.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

FW

Just giving my opinion based on 8 years of NB experience.  Go ahead and try asking.  I could be wrong.  You could get lucky.  Go for it...

arajca

Something else to consider...

How long would the a/c be out of its operating base? Presuming you'd be attending a training/inspection that lasts a few days to a week, is worth taking an operational asset out of service for your convience?

RiverAux

Always something to consider, but I've yet to hear of too many Wing commanders that would turn down the chance for a funded AFAM to put hours on one of their planes.  If they've got a planned mission coming up for which they need the resource, they might, but I doubt they would on the off chance that a "real" mission happens to come along during that time period. 

One of the great things about CAP is that it is a national organization and if an asset isn't available at one point, we can bring them in from all over.