Unit Citation ribbon wear finally clarified!

Started by dwb, December 19, 2008, 01:56:53 PM

RiverAux

Some of the problem of people wearing unearned awards could be solved if CAP had a system for tracking awards on a national level that was open for everyone to view.  For example, I can determine exactly what awards any Auxie in the country has a right to wear. 

If people know that there is a way for people to check to see if they really have earned an award, they might not be so quick to order one from Vanguard. 

It won't solve the problem entirely, but might help.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on December 25, 2008, 11:04:19 PM
Some of the problem of people wearing unearned awards could be solved if CAP had a system for tracking awards on a national level that was open for everyone to view. 

I like the idea. The only issue might be obtaining someone's CAPID, it's the only way to really identify the person. Other than that, we wear the ribbons on our chest for all to see, no reason why you shouldn't be able to look at it on the web.

Eclipse

This starts and ends at the home unit.

You simply have a rack review party - explain why you're doing it, and have everyone bring in their substantiation.

Can't substantiate first round? It goes into the "check this" pile - story makes sense, write a notarized memo for the file and move on, doesn't, it comes off until the member can substantiate the ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2008, 04:29:25 PM
This starts and ends at the home unit.

You simply have a rack review party - explain why you're doing it, and have everyone bring in their substantiation.

Can't substantiate first round? It goes into the "check this" pile - story makes sense, write a notarized memo for the file and move on, doesn't, it comes off until the member can substantiate the ribbon.

Hmm, I like that idea, too. Would take a little longer, and someone wouldn't be able to say "Oh, I was just put in for it". And it's policing ourselves, which we need to do anyway.

Maybe we should also consider part of our training as to what decs mean, and what it means to wear something you haven't earned. I've run into a few people that literally did not know better. Education could save everyone from embarrassment.

RiverAux

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 26, 2008, 04:23:00 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on December 25, 2008, 11:04:19 PM
Some of the problem of people wearing unearned awards could be solved if CAP had a system for tracking awards on a national level that was open for everyone to view. 

I like the idea. The only issue might be obtaining someone's CAPID, it's the only way to really identify the person. Other than that, we wear the ribbons on our chest for all to see, no reason why you shouldn't be able to look at it on the web.
The way the CG Aux does it is to allow you to search by the unit (as well as other options) and have all the members of that unit listed.  So, unless you happen to have 2 John Smith's in your squadron, there isn't much chance for confusion. 

However, if I were re-working the Aux site I probably would limit member's searching capability a bit sort of like CAP members have -- they only get access to records at their unit level or below (for higher level staff).