AC Pamphlet 210-1, Formation of Units of the USAC

Started by COL Land, December 19, 2008, 04:10:39 AM

COL Land

Army Cadet Pamphlet 210-1, Formation of Units of the United States Army Cadet Corps, can be downloaded at http://www.goarmycadets.com/acpam210-1.pdf .   

This is an extremely comprehensive document which outlines the steps to form a Cadet program, including hints and ideas representing several hundred years of collective service by the authors.   

Please direct questions or comments to joseph.m.landsr@armycadets.org .
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

Timbo

^  I read it and looks decent enough, clear, but too many pictures for me.  My eyes wondered while reading the text when there were 2 or more pics on a page.

Having the history information there was great, but too much is an overload.  Maybe it can be combined into a separate instruction or pamphlet.   

Question.......with a very strict discrimination policy (for handicaps) even though you say there may be the possibility of a waiver, how can you even be considered for federal funding, when (and I think this is correct) the ADA laws spell out that community organizations for children funded through (at a certain funding percent) with federal dollars can not receive the funds if they discriminate??  (CAP is compliant with these federal restraints, as are JROTC and others)

Also, on the pages leading up to and following the paragraph on how the Adult Officers, and NCO's must meet grooming and weight requirements the same as the military, you have pictures of ACA Officers who clearly do not meet your requirements for wearing your uniform??  I would perhaps eliminate some pictures, or the image gets set that the new member has to meet requirements but others do not (double standard??). 

Don't take this post as hate, but my sincere concerns.  The federal funding issue my primary concern, as I don't want my tax dollars funding a youth program that will be so discriminatory.  (Are there female Cadets in the ACA/USAC?  Did I miss the pictures of them?)

Military Service is supposed to be discriminatory, but community based youth groups should not.  I can see where it is easier to say "we are an exploration program, and anyone who joins needs to be able to join the military".  Then it gives the impression that this is a direct feeding tool for the Army.  I honestly don't want that in my backyard.  Yes, having wheelchairs in formation may be an issue, but it is one you have to deal with if you want my support, and the support of some legislators on the national level.

Until you promote equality, I have to voice my opposition.     

RiverAux

Didn't see anyone that looked horrible in uniform.

I've got other problems with how this organization is doing business, but since this is supposedly a board to discuss Civil Air Patrol, I'll leave them be. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on December 19, 2008, 10:33:59 PM
Didn't see anyone that looked horrible in uniform.

I've got other problems with how this organization is doing business, but since this is supposedly a board to discuss Civil Air Patrol, I'll leave them be. 
I didn't either, and I saw female cadets in photos.

I think the pamphlet is a great idea, but it doesn't accurately represent CAP. How some of the categories on page 14 probably should read:

Mission: Emergency services, aerospace education and cadet program.
Adult members: Uniformed senior members, grades E4-08.
Drill format: One night weekly, additional weekend training and at additional times as scheduled.
Cadet rank: Cadet airman basic through cadet colonel. (Cadets do not have pay grades, though I'm sure their use is as shorthand.)
Summer training: Encampments are required for promotion into cadet officer grade.
Primary emphasis: Cadets are involved in each of CAP's three Congressionally chartered missions, as well as other community services.

I also question the comparison, since it's apples and oranges -- a federal armed-force auxiliary with a cadet program is put side by side with three wholly civilian organizations and JROTC. CAP cadets aren't just in CAP for the boot-camp and educational experience. For instance, they're heavily involved in emergency services training and missions, which are real-world.

Also: I notice the chief of chaplains for USAC is a former CAP Ohio Wing and GLR chaplain, unless he's still in CAP. (Is he? Just curious. I was involved with reorganizing a squadron that met in his church.)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Cadet minimum age is now a "hard 12" (no longer allows for "or 6th grade".)

Summer training is never actually required - there are encampments that take place during the entire year, and once you get your Mitchell ticket punched, your summers are your own business, and this doesn't account for those living the "Chief Experience".  ::)

To say that the Army Cadet program has "strict compliance with military uniform and grooming standards" is somewhat misleading as there are plenty of seniors in the brochure who would not be allowed to wear a USAF-uniform because of weight issues.

Quote from: AC PAM 210-1, Page 16
...all members of the USAC Officers' Corps and NCO Corps must maintain an appearance of being height/weight proportionate at all times...

...hardly "strict military standards", and from public appearances, might actually be enforced less vigorously than CAP, since they don't have an alternative set of uniforms.

I think is also characterizes the primary emphasis of CAP.  Properly run units have three missions, not 1, and most emphasize the core parts of the CP vs. ES or AE.

I do like the lip-service paid to the officer training program, but would be curious as to whether they have the same "problem" with older members that CAP does (i.e. 60-year 2d Lt's which so many people here seem have an "issue" with, or the other a room full of Col.'s who are still active).

"That Others May Zoom"