Main Menu

Garmin 696

Started by Flying Pig, December 11, 2008, 01:29:41 AM

Flying Pig

Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin 696?  Does it zoom down to show the streets as well?

caprr275

I have not had the chance to play with the 696 however looking over the specs it looks like a great product, I have been thinking about getting one the last week or so however I think I will wait until the price comes down a little.
If your thinking about getting one keep in mind the cost of updating the databases. It's a hidden think that can really get you.
If you buy it let me know how you like it

Flying Pig

Seized drug money will be paying for it ;D

bosshawk

The retail price of $3295 sure keeps it in proper perspective for most individuals.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Who says crime doesnt pay?! :clap:

Auxpilot

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 11, 2008, 01:29:41 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Garmin 696?  Does it zoom down to show the streets as well?

Have not seen it yet but I do know that the 496 has "automotive mode" which gives you street maps. Very slick when doing off airport ELT searches, you can give the ground team the road to turn down, even in the dark.

isuhawkeye

I don't know about the 696 but the 396 would be a great tool for CAP missions.  with ground and air modes with detailed maps. and on the fly way pt marks it is very powerful. 

add to it the xm weather and music are great

Al Sayre

Our wing just bought 3 new 496's for our aircraft so we will have the XM weather capability...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

You can download the streets features to the 696.  Hopefully Ill have one in about a month or so.  I really appreciate drug dealers donating money to us.