Main Menu

Magnetic CAP Seal

Started by Stonewall, December 02, 2008, 09:01:28 PM

jeders

Quote from: winterg on December 04, 2008, 09:13:47 PM
So does anyone think it is completely gauche to put a find sticker on your POV that you made a find in? lol   ;D

Not really.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

winterg

Quote from: jeders on December 04, 2008, 09:15:53 PM
Quote from: winterg on December 04, 2008, 09:13:47 PM
So does anyone think it is completely gauche to put a find sticker on your POV that you made a find in? lol   ;D
Not really.

*chuckle*  I've got almost 30 finds and I've NEVER been in MY car!  I think it'd look neat to put one on. :)

isuhawkeye

I've seen several over the years

SarDragon

No. Mine is on some magnetic material, so it's not permanent. When I'm out doing UDF, it's on my 'Burb along with some emblems.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Honestly, I think it's kind of cool to put one on your POV.  I like it because it's rather discreet; no one really knows what it is except other CAPers.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Yup, that's it. One ribon sticker on magnootie material, no devices (mostly cuz I haven't figured out the easiest way to do it).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

Like to remind people, it requires a Wing Commanders approval for the magnetic emblems on POV. I haven't heard of a case where permission was denied.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2008, 09:43:13 PM
They used what turned out to be a fairly inexpensive magnetic material.  I'll post up the brand as soon as I can find the original estimate.

I found the estimate and the material is referred to as "Gerber Promag", however the closest thing I could find online
is a product called "Gerber AutoMag", which is purported to be a professional-grade automotive magnetic sheeting.

As I recall, they had an option to print the decals on 3m Scotchlite (assuming your image has a white background, and enough shows through), but it raised the cost significantly.

Also, just an FYI, from personal experience I can tell you that the printable magnetic sheeting from Avery will not stand up to highway speeds on a vehicle.  Its great stuff and easy to work with, we use it every year to make name tags for all the steel racks for encampment, but its not for outdoors or vehicles.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: shorning on December 03, 2008, 12:32:57 AM
Kirt, I have a set already with magnetic backing.  You want mine you can have them.  Just PM me an address.

Steve, as you can tell, I got the magnets today in the mail...thanks.

My son loves sticking them on the fridge  :P
Serving since 1987.

shorning

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2008, 08:40:38 PM

No problem, bro!

JAFO78

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2008, 08:40:38 PM
Quote from: shorning on December 03, 2008, 12:32:57 AM
Kirt, I have a set already with magnetic backing.  You want mine you can have them.  Just PM me an address.

My son loves sticking them on the fridge  :P

Kirt, Does the little guy have a CAP uniform yet....? ::)
JAFO

Stonewall

Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 14, 2008, 04:01:03 AMKirt, Does the little guy have a CAP uniform yet....? ::)

He can't join for 10 years so I imagine we'll go through 3 uniform changes by that time.  Not sure it would be worth it to put together some BDUs for him right now.
Serving since 1987.

PHall

Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2008, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 14, 2008, 04:01:03 AMKirt, Does the little guy have a CAP uniform yet....? ::)

He can't join for 10 years so I imagine we'll go through 3 uniform changes by that time.  Not sure it would be worth it to put together some BDUs for him right now.

I'm sure AAFES will have kids ABU's soon enough! :D

Stonewall

They've had kids ABUs for at least a year now.  Saw them at Charleston AFB a year ago and Lackland over the summer.
Serving since 1987.

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2008, 05:57:08 PM
They've had kids ABUs for at least a year now.  Saw them at Charleston AFB a year ago and Lackland over the summer.

I was at the local Air Guard unit's shoppette the other day.  I saw ABUs hanging on the rack and thought I'd check out the price.  It was about half of what I expected.  That's when I realized that they were kiddie uniforms.  I guess they've been available for a while.  I don't think your son will have any problems getting outfitted.  Didn't see any brown boots, tho . . .  :D