Main Menu

Magnetic CAP Seal

Started by Stonewall, December 02, 2008, 09:01:28 PM

Stonewall

Does anyoen slap these bad boys on the side of their POV during CAP missions?

If so, where would one find the magnet for such a decal?  I remember WIWAC they sold them already stuck to a magnet for POVs...
Serving since 1987.

JC004

I got some magnets made that say "Official Business  Civil Air Patrol  U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" and have the emblem.  Not sure where you'd get the magnet - I got mine free from a sign making person...

Duke Dillio

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

dhon27

Quote from: JC004 on December 02, 2008, 09:14:27 PM
I got some magnets made that say "Official Business  Civil Air Patrol  U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" and have the emblem.  Not sure where you'd get the magnet - I got mine free from a sign making person...

The CAP Bookstore used to sell a similar magnetic sign that said "Official Civil Air Patrol Business".  Maybe Vanguard still sells one?

Eclipse

I had MAJCOM (latest) ones printed and mounted by an outfit in Wisconsin.

They aren't reflective, but they are outdoor rated, UV, blah, blah.  About $20 each.

They used what turned out to be a fairly inexpensive magnetic material.  I'll post up the brand as soon as I can find the original estimate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I got mine free from a sign making person...

Awesome!  I forgot, the parents of my neighbor just bought a sign making company in town.  I'll ask them.  Good idea!
Serving since 1987.

DC

My squadron has a couple that we had made with the CAP Seal and "Official Vehicle" written on it to stick onto vehicles on missions.

tribalelder

Get flexible magnetic sheeting, one possible source Johnson Plastics, in a color that contrasts w/your POV (like ORANGE ?).  Cut call sign numerals big enough for roof or hood use - say 16 inches wide/24 inches high.  Peel remaining vinyl off magnetic substrate.  Get reflectorized CAP emblem (not seal, not MAJCOM) from Vanguard and apply emblem to magnetic substrate.  

This array, on a US made, rather plain vanilla vehicle with antennas, got me within 10 feet of a presidential candidate's jet at night on an ELT hunt without anybody asking for an ID card- and I was in golf shirt uniform.  The plane next door had the ELT.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

tribalelder

Seal restricted to corporate vehicles; Emblem allowed on POV but, if I recall still requires wing approval.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

isuhawkeye

if you can't get them made I might be willing to sell mine. 

jeders

Quote from: tribalelder on December 02, 2008, 10:12:24 PM
Seal restricted to corporate vehicles; Emblem allowed on POV but, if I recall still requires wing approval.

Seal no, Emblem yes when on official business or written authority from wing, Hap Arnold Symbol not on any vehicles.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BillB

You might also check with people that ran for political office in the recent elections. They may have the magnetic signs that goes on th sides of cars that they may give you. I talked to one candidate two years ago and got 10 magnetic signs, large enough to put a CAP decal on and cut the sign to the decal.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

shorning

Kirt, I have a set already with magnetic backing.  You want mine you can have them.  Just PM me an address.

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

cap235629

The Hock sells them already on magnetic backing and they are Scotchlite

http://www.thehock.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=774934&cat=31

Scroll down $14.95 apiece!

Stonewall, are you reconsidering your retirement from CAP?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SarDragon

Quote from: dhon27 on December 02, 2008, 09:20:55 PM

The CAP Bookstore used to sell a similar magnetic sign that said "Official Civil Air Patrol Business".  Maybe Vanguard still sells one?

Negative, Ghostrider.

I have some info available on reasonably priced magnet material from here, and here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

Quote from: Stonewall on December 02, 2008, 09:01:28 PM
Does anyoen slap these bad boys on the side of their POV during CAP missions?

If so, where would one find the magnet for such a decal?  I remember WIWAC they sold them already stuck to a magnet for POVs...

I bought a pair of them already on magnets from the Hock.  They're pretty useful for not getting shot at when prowling small airports on an ELT hunt at 2:00 a.m. and saves a lot of "Who the heck are you guy's?" questions from the local LE types etc.  If you do a lot of UDF/GT missions in your POV, they are well worth the investment. 

If you already have the seals, most sign shops can hook you up with the magnetic backing, and you can find 8 1/2 x 11 magnetic sheets 5 to a pack at most office stores for making your own signs for about $10.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

Quote from: cap235629 on December 03, 2008, 04:33:00 AM
Stonewall, are you reconsidering your retirement from CAP?

1.  I was not qualified to retire from CAP because my cadet years do not count towards CAP retirement.

2.  I planned on just letting my membership expire and fade away; continuing to lurk on CAP Talk and CadetStuff.

3.  My wife, who handles the bills, with all good intentions, saw my CAP renewal and paid it...for two years.

I do not plan on being active, but I will try to maintain my quals and maybe volunteer at an encampment or activity every so often.  "My squadron" suffers from cadet involvement in ES so I may step in there.

As for the CAP emblem on magnets, I found a box of stuff I ordered from Vanguard more than a year ago and the 10" decals were inside.  Because I have been at home sick for 3 days, I tend to get very bored and began looking around for magnet sheets to finish that little "project" I started over a year ago.
Serving since 1987.

winterg

So does anyone think it is completely gauche to put a find sticker on your POV that you made a find in? lol   ;D