New Corporate Uniform

Started by mikeylikey, March 07, 2006, 09:22:30 PM

Pace

Quote from: Al Sayre on March 20, 2006, 02:58:06 PM
You might try putting the shirt in the freezer for a while, let the glue get brittle,and then use a stiff brush to remove it.  Acetone might also work, but try it on the tucked in parts first incase it changes the color. Worst that can happen is you still have to buy a new shirt...
Thanks, I'll try that.
Lt Col, CAP

Al Sayre

Let me know how it works, I had just finished sewing mine on, so they came right off without any problems.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

shorning

Quote from: dcpacemaker on March 20, 2006, 02:59:22 PM
I did for my ss blue shirt, but that leaves 4 BDU tops, 1 BBDU top, and 1 ls blue shirt. :(

I feel your pain.  Happens to me every three years when I move to a new wing.   Both on the CAP side and the AF side.  Fortunately, I've been good a timing my AF uniform purchase to coincide with PCS's.

Nick

Quote from: shorning on March 20, 2006, 02:44:55 PM
Buy a new shirt.  Guaranteed to work every time!  ;)

That's what I ended up having to do.  I start to remove the patch from one shirt... got a glue stain mark... threw the shirt away.  Removed the patch from another shirt... same thing... threw that one away.  Did that for 3 shirts... then I went to clothing sales, bought a new one, opened the package, ironed it, and put it on.  I was very happy.

Quote from: shorning on March 20, 2006, 03:08:49 PM
I feel your pain.  Happens to me every three years when I move to a new wing.   Both on the CAP side and the AF side.  Fortunately, I've been good a timing my AF uniform purchase to coincide with PCS's.

At least the AF got witty and made (most) of the MAJCOM patches the same size.  Worked for me when I moved from AMC to AETC -- the new patch snuggles just perfect in the crease of the old patch.  Of course, for y'all that have to wear wing/squadron patches... sucks to be you. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

shorning

Quote from: mclarty on March 22, 2006, 01:31:24 AM
Of course, for y'all that have to wear wing/squadron patches... sucks to be you. :)

Hmmmm...I do wear a patch, but I don't have a MAJCOM patch or a wing/squadron patch on my BDUs.   I still had to buy new BDUs when I PCS'd here.

On a side note to the tangent...anyone have a source better than Vanguard for the field uniform?  I'm finally fed up that they can not get me my order.  I'm looking around and have found a few places, but I wondering what others have found.  Of course, I could just go to clothing sales and buy some woodlands...

Lamh Dearg

".....That's what I ended up having to do.  I start to remove the patch from one shirt... got a glue stain mark... threw the shirt away...."

That's what I thought I'd have to do when I removed the wing patches and found the glue mark. But as the last resort after trying a few "home remedies", I went to the local dry cleaners showed them the shirts, and they said they would see what they could do. I told them that if it they messed the shirts not to worry as I would have to throw them away anyway.
But hey! to my surprise they took care of them - no marks and no evidence that a patch had even been there - I asked how they did it, but the lady couldn't tell me, it was one of the other staff that got the glue mark off. Didn't even fade the shirts or anything like that. Charged me $4 a shirt to do that and dry clean them as well - way better than having to buy new ones.

arajca

Quote from: shorning on March 22, 2006, 01:54:39 AM
On a side note to the tangent...anyone have a source better than Vanguard for the field uniform?  I'm finally fed up that they can not get me my order.  I'm looking around and have found a few places, but I wondering what others have found.  Of course, I could just go to clothing sales and buy some woodlands...
Try Galls, www.galls.com or just about any police uniform shop.

Viper

Quote from: mclarty on March 22, 2006, 01:31:24 AM

At least the AF got witty and made (most) of the MAJCOM patches the same size. 

I thought all of the Air Force's MAJCOM Patches were the same size.  Whch ones are different?

Viper

US Calalry [http://www.uscav.com] has them.  I just looked at my book.  Quartermaster [http://www.qmuniforms.com] also has them, as does Brigade Quartermasters [http://www.actiongear.com].  I saw it posted earlier, but I just looked, and Galls [http://www.galls.com] has them also.  Good luck in finding them, sir!

Nick

Quote from: Viper on March 22, 2006, 04:41:58 AM
I thought all of the Air Force's MAJCOM Patches were the same size.  Whch ones are different?

If you buy one through some commercial vendors, they might be slightly awkwardly sized... if you are assigned to a COCOM and wear the seal patch instead of a shield, the crease will have a different shape... and some DRU's patches are a little whacked (I know AFPC's used to be, I'm not sure if they have fixed that).  Just as some examples.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

Nick

Quote from: Lamh Dearg on March 22, 2006, 02:16:14 AM
".....That's what I ended up having to do.  I start to remove the patch from one shirt... got a glue stain mark... threw the shirt away...."

That's what I thought I'd have to do when I removed the wing patches and found the glue mark. But as the last resort after trying a few "home remedies", I went to the local dry cleaners showed them the shirts, and they said they would see what they could do. I told them that if it they messed the shirts not to worry as I would have to throw them away anyway.
But hey! to my surprise they took care of them - no marks and no evidence that a patch had even been there - I asked how they did it, but the lady couldn't tell me, it was one of the other staff that got the glue mark off. Didn't even fade the shirts or anything like that. Charged me $4 a shirt to do that and dry clean them as well - way better than having to buy new ones.

Yeah, for the natural sticky stuff that's on the back of the patch, you're right... but my shirts were tailor made at the local uniform shop, and they sewed the patches on for me and used a small little dab of super-adhesive something to hold the patch in place while they sewed it on... and that's what was left when the patch was removed, a small little 1/4" dark blue dot on the shirt.  Almost looked like a stain, but it was identical on all three shirts.
Texas Wing Staff Guy

SarDragon

Quote from: dcpacemaker on March 20, 2006, 02:23:32 PMOn that note, if anyone knows a surefire way of removing ironed-in glue from uniforms, please let me know.

As has been suggested, acetone. Another favorite of mine is aliphatic naphtha, available in little cans labelled lighter fluid (Ronsonol or Zippo brands are most common). In terms of flammability, it's actually better than acetone, and not much worse than rubbing alcohol.

If you don't like that idea, there's an even less flammable alternative that is orange oil based called Goo Gone.

As recommended, always check on a tuck-in part of the shirt to test for compatability.

If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll give a couple of more suggestions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pumbaa

One little trick is to also take some tracing/ tissue paper and put it behind the patch.  This will keep anything from bleeding onto the cloth.

Pumbaa

Also try  Brigade Quartermasters for BDU's etc.. they have a great selection and they are up on things in terms of speed.

shorning

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 22, 2006, 01:55:44 PM
Also try  Brigade Quartermasters for BDU's etc.. they have a great selection and they are up on things in terms of speed.

There is no such thing as "speed" when shipping to Hawaii.  It's either 2-day air, or boat... >:(

Major_Chuck

Quote from: shorning on March 22, 2006, 09:00:56 PM

There is no such thing as "speed" when shipping to Hawaii.  It's either 2-day air, or boat... >:(

What are you talking about?  I used to watch Magnum P.I.  They never had any problems getting stuff from the mainland.  Maybe back in the day of Danno and McGarret.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

shorning

Quote from: Major_Chuck on March 22, 2006, 09:25:55 PM
Quote from: shorning on March 22, 2006, 09:00:56 PM

What are you talking about?  I used to watch Magnum P.I.  They never had any problems getting stuff from the mainland.  Maybe back in the day of Danno and McGarret.

It's not about getting things.  It's about getting them quickly.  Everything I've ordered 2nd-day air still takes at least a week for me to get it at a lot more cost. >:(   Although, I recently ordered some books for school and chose "standard" UPS ground.  I was surprised that it actually worked.  It was cheaper and I got the books in the same time I would have if I had selected 2nd-day air. ???

arajca

I talked to Vanguard yesterday. They have the name plates and epaulet slides in stock. The pants they haven't received yet. The ones listed are CAPMart's old stock of AF uniforms.

A thought, (I know, bad habit ;D)
For the sake of commonality on this board, how calling the new corporate uniform "corporate blues" and the old aviator shirt uniform "corporate greys"?

Viper

Just a thought:  Is there a Goast Guard Uniform place near you?  IIRC, it's the same uniform as the CAP DBFU.

MIKE

Quote from: Viper on March 23, 2006, 09:39:19 PM

Just a thought:  Is there a Goast Guard Uniform place near you?  IIRC, it's the same uniform as the CAP DBFU.

The Operational Dress Uniform (ODU) is definitely NOT the same uniform as the CAP Field Uniform.
Mike Johnston