For those of you who have to "strap on" to fly...

Started by NIN, November 18, 2008, 10:12:11 PM

NIN

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120_ai85.pdf

The FAA is extending the parachute repack cycle from 120 to 180 days.

I doubt many CAP planes are aerobatic (are the Blanik gliders?) and of course there are prohibitions to aerobatics in 60-1....

But in case your daily driver has you sitting on compressed nylon, you now only have to get your stuff repacked twice a year...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Gunner C

Quote from: NIN on November 18, 2008, 10:12:11 PM
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120_ai85.pdf

The FAA is extending the parachute repack cycle from 120 to 180 days.

I doubt many CAP planes are aerobatic (are the Blanik gliders?) and of course there are prohibitions to aerobatics in 60-1....

But in case your daily driver has you sitting on compressed nylon, you now only have to get your stuff repacked twice a year...

IIRC, the original FAA rule was a repack every 90 days. The old silk chutes could deteriorate quickly if not kept in optimal conditions. There were nylon parachutes, particularly Navy conicals, that were treated with something that cut down on the sheen on the fabric. Between repacks, it was found that it could deteriorate so much that you could push your finger through it. (I had one and asked the rigger to stretch the heck out of it to test the fabric.)  The modern fabrics are VERY stable and could probably go for over a year with no ill effects (but I wouldn't).

The 120-day repack cycle came with great difficulty.  A great deal of pressure had to be put on the FAA to add another month to it.  I don't think there's been any deaths due to fabric failure of a reserve or emergency chute.

The 180-day pack cycle should be good for all invovled.  Just don't allow the rig to sit there in direct sunlight or in the cockpit while not in use.  UV light destroys nylon and will penetrate several layers of fabric.

Gunner

NIN

Indeed, parachutes made from "natural" fibers like silk and pongee (I swear, every time I read that word, I think of something thats like foam or something) are still required to be repacked on 60 day interval.

The problem with the conicals wasn't the fabric per se, I don't believe, it was that the mesh netting used in the vents of rounds and on pilot chutes had a coating that was acidic.  This so-called "acid mesh" came into contact with the nylon and often weakened it between repack cycles.  A canopy tested today might fail the strength test 120 days later.

I suspect that repacks will go up about 20-30% here in the very near future.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.