Pilot talked down to safe landing after he goes blind in flight!

Started by A.Member, November 07, 2008, 07:27:08 PM

A.Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1083869/Pilot-went-blind-mid-air-talked-safe-landing-crew-scrambled-RAF-plane.html

From the article:
QuoteA pilot who lost his sight at 15,000 feet miraculously survived after he was dramatically guided down by an RAF plane scrambled to rescue him.

Jim O'Neill, 65, was alone and seemingly helpless in the cockpit when he suffered a mid-flight stroke at the controls of his four-seater Cessna plane.

Unable to see he radioed a mayday alert. Air traffic controllers launched an emergency operation and attempted to guide him to a nearby airfield.

But so catastrophic was his loss of vision that it proved to be an impossible task. Within minutes an RAF Tucano was alongside the stricken pilot.
I'd like to find more details about this story.  It is unbelievable.  This guy has balls of steel!  Excellent work by the RAF guys as well.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pumbaa

I read the article this morning and thought it was amazing.  he took 4 tries to land, but did it!

I always wondered what would happen if the pilot was disabled.. Now we know!

WOW WOW!!