Explorer (Boy Scout) Co Enrollment Program

Started by Earhart1971, February 22, 2006, 11:40:12 PM

Earhart1971

In the 80s as a Squadron Commander, I co enrolled my unit in the Boy Scout Explorer Program.

That allowed us use of excellent Boy Scout Camps and Facilities.

Are there any recent updates or changes or  did the program die out?

Any other Squadron Commanders still using this program?

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 52-166-2. CAP POLICY FOR THE BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA (BSA). CAP and the Venturing and Aviation
Explorer divisions of the Boy Scouts of America have much in common. CAP encourages dual membership in both
CAP and BSA as either an Aviation Exploring Post or Venturing Crew, with CAP being the chartered partner. By being
the chartered partner, CAP is the basis for the union; therefore, members first belong to CAP. The existing CAP
structure does not change and all members will conform to CAP standards and wear the CAP uniform.
a. Exploring is suited for squadrons that emphasize flying and aerospace education. Venturing encompasses highadventure
programs and is suited for squadrons that emphasize camping and wilderness activities.
b. The benefits for dual chartering are:
1) The BSA organization includes approximately 4,000 professional staff and over 93,000 adult volunteers
who would be available to provide assistance in the following areas:
a) Identification of potential youth members with an interest in aviation or search and rescue through a
school career interest survey (where available).
b) Additional "working with youth" adult leader training opportunities.
2) Eligibility to participate in all Venturing activities upon becoming a Venturing crew, such as: scholarships
and awards, the Explorer Olympics, air rifle competitions, fly-ins, an emergency preparedness program, use of local
BSA camps and facilities and more.
c. The squadron commander should meet with representatives of the local BSA Council to discuss dual
chartering. If the decision is made to dual charter, then the BSA representative will complete and submit the required
BSA chartering documentation. After a squadron receives its charter, the next command echelon should be notified of
the new status.
d. Dual chartered members are authorized to wear the Venturing Patch, or the Aviation Exploring Patch as
appropriate, in place of the organizational emblem on the BDU uniform (see CAPM 39-1).
e. All CAP flying activities will be accomplished in accordance with CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management, and
all CAP search and rescue activities will be accomplished in accordance with CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services
Training and Operational Missions.
f. A jointly chartered CAP Venturing Crew or Aviation Exploring Post will conduct all operations and activities
under CAP regulations or clearly and unmistakably conduct itself under the auspices of the scouting program only. If
the unit wishes to conduct any activity outside of, or restricted by CAP regulations, the unit commander will obtain
Scout liability insurance protection for CAP and the members of the unit from the Scouting Council or Scouting
National Headquarters before proceeding.
Mike Johnston

Earhart1971

Mike, Is your Unit participating? Comments appreciated.

MIKE

Quote from: Earhart1971 on February 23, 2006, 01:01:01 AM
Mike, Is your Unit participating? Comments appreciated.

Negative.

You may be interested in this thread on CadetStuff though:
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=4663&highlight=
Mike Johnston

Matt

There is also a little known fact about co-registration.  The only reason I know this is I am friends with some District Execs...

If you are registered as an explorer post, you have the ability to utilize surveys put on by the scouts, such as career surveys.  On these occupations such as military come up often.  Aviation, although not as prevalent, is there also.

All you have to do is ask your council if they have these surveys, and if they do, ask for the information on specific careers for contact information for potential members.

The catch, however, is, you have to be a registered unit in order to access this information, part of the privacy policy, can't just ask for back-scratches... already tried that  :(.

<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Earhart1971

Its coming back to me now, the surveys.  The Council had a hard time understanding the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program.

The Boys Scouts have a little softer, more democratic approach, in their other Explorer Programs.

Matt

Kinda... it's more of the Cadet Pro. Dev. and expansion of frontiers and horizons.  Scouts and CAP share in the common interests of citizenship, leadership, and building better people...

I have contact with councils in SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee & SE Councils) and a smidgen through contacts in Ohio (Dayton).  Aside from that, I may have contacts, but I don't specifically know.

If you need information on how to charter a post, let me know in a PM, and I can get you squared away with that and how to politely demand (CAP-style) for surveys :)
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>