Main Menu

NEC Winter Meeting

Started by sjtrupp, November 03, 2008, 07:43:42 PM

JCJ

Quote from: PHall on November 09, 2008, 06:23:05 AM
Quote from: JCJ on November 09, 2008, 05:01:19 AM
Quote from: PHall on November 08, 2008, 10:31:06 PM
Quote from: flyguync on November 08, 2008, 10:02:09 PM
^^^^ I was thinking that wings couldnt have their names and morale stuff on planes... Then again it may just be a MER thing.

No, it's a National "thing". As in CAPM 66-1.

The Arkansas Tail Flashes were placed by Brig. Gen. Chitwood (current CAP/CV) when he was the AR Wing CC.  They were legal and approved by the SWR/CC at that time.  Later, distinctive unit markings were disallowed because of the need to move aircraft beween wings.  The distinctive unit markings will need to be removed at the next re-paint.  But they do really look good against the red background.

And the only problem with that is the Region Commander wasn't authorised to approve them.
There is nothing in the reg authorising a Wing or Region Commander the authority to grant waivers.

At the time they were placed, the region commander was authorized to approve them.  That authority was removed by NEC vote in approximately 2004 or 2005 (I don't have time to research the exact date now) to facilitate aircraft transfer between wings.  I was there and we had some more to place on new aircraft, and we stopped because the NEC changed the policy (making them no longer authorized).  There are still a few left over at AR Wing HQ if anyone wants one for their car or boat.

You are correct that at at present, they are not allowed and the region commander may not authorize them on a waiver.  They must be removed at next re-paint or transfer to another wing.

DrDave

I can't seem to find any comments, or running commentary, on the NEC meeting held last weekend (7-8 November 2008).

CAPtalk is usually all over these events. 

Am I missing the thread?

Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

DrDave

Yep, I missed it, found it now.

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

sjtrupp

They elected B Gen Anderson to be the new BOG member in December.  I didn't see that in the earlier posts.

Also, there was a lot of information in the reports that were given at the end of the meeting on Saturday.

FW

One thing that may stir things up is the new requirement for an "independent" unit finance committee.  Once appointed, members may not be removed unless there is concurrence at the next higher level of command.  This gives finance committee members a chance to express opinions without fear of retaliation or reprisal.  "Unit" is any unit below NHQ.

davidsinn

Quote from: FW on November 10, 2008, 07:57:00 PM
One thing that may stir things up is the new requirement for an "independent" unit finance committee.  Once appointed, members may not be removed unless there is concurrence at the next higher level of command.  This gives finance committee members a chance to express opinions without fear of retaliation or reprisal.  "Unit" is any unit below NHQ.

I actually like that idea.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

swamprat86

Has this really been a problem?  I have never seen anyone in CAP afraid of giving their opinion because of possible retaliation or reprisal.  ::)

But seriously, outside of independant auditing purpose, I don't see the point.  Isn't that why we have an IG dept, to handle actions of retaliation and reprisal?

Gunner C

Quote from: swamprat86 on November 10, 2008, 08:37:17 PM

Has this really been a problem?  I have never seen anyone in CAP afraid of giving their opinion because of possible retaliation or reprisal.  ::)

The MER chief of staff and Dir of Finance were fired for just that.  That's how the former MER/CC got fired.

Gunner

James Shaw

Anyone have info on the final NEC agenda items. I worked and did not get a chance to watch any of it.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

DNall

QuoteWhile at West Houston mision base for Ike, I saw one of the new Arkansas Wing 182s with a nice touch: a fin stripe with 'ARKANSAS' on it in the colors of their state flag. Nice touch... now if they'd do that with Texas Wing and others...

Those did look pretty awsome. The tail of our apaches has a Texas flag about 6 inches high running front to back at the very top. That looks pretty dang cool too. It'd be nice to add something like that to our planes. But alas, I do understand and agree with the logic on being able to move aircraft around as needed.