Main Menu

NEC Winter Meeting

Started by sjtrupp, November 03, 2008, 07:43:42 PM

RiverAux

Legal officer agenda item.
Part 1 - changed wording to "manage" rather than "supervise.  approved.
Part 2.  Legal Officer Authority -postponed till tomorrow
Part 3. Legal Officer Duties - approved.
Part 4.  Legal Service Award creation - Postponed.  The Awards committee didn't like it at all.  If the lawyers have their own award given by peers, shouldn't all the others?  This would be in addition to existing awards for same action, which we generally don't do. 
Part 5. "Legal Officer Corps" -- Approved. 

Adjourned for Day

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2008, 06:22:50 PM
Thanks Ricochet....

Some interesting items....

Proposal to move the command patch on airplanes from the doors to the rudder to make it more visible and be similar to what AF does -- NHQ/LG doesn't like it though.
I'm not sure I understand why the door decal was ever put there to begin with. Seems the tail was better in the first place. Maybe a two-letter identifier should be used on the tail for either wing or region identification -- wings used to be identified on CAP plane tails. Then again, I wonder how the current corporate color scheme was designed -- is the red tail for increased visibility? The blue belly?

(Heck, if you read some of the things I've seen lately around the Internet, it won't be two years before the Obama 'O' logo is on our wings instead of the roundel....)

QuoteRevision to CAPR190-1 public affairs regarding the planning process (a monster waste of time in many cases)
Huh?

QuoteMore power for CAP legal officers at Wing and higher levels.

Moving damage assessment authority to Region.

Allowing commanders down to group levels to put units in their command on logistics freezes.
Now THERE's a novel idea. It helps address rogue units, for one....

QuoteMight re-address the issue of Legislative officers who get quickie promotions to Lt. Col.
That's what I need -- a promotion to lieutenant colonel without the hassle of working for it.  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

RiverAux

Looking at the proposal, the PA thing will put the specifc 4-step planning process that NHQ has been forcing down everyone's throat into the regulations.  I think the plan process is a joke since in many, many units there isn't a PA to speak of, but now they're required to write a plan every year as well as a crisis comm plan.  Like squadron commanders need more work to do -- since they will have to if they don't have a PA.  If they don't have a PA -- you know they're not going to get much PA work done so whats the purpose of the plan.....

arajca

It will interesting to see if National is going to offer any training outside of the PAO fest at the summer NB on how to develop the PA and Crisis Comm plans.

I'm not holding my breath.

RiverAux

Although I think the plans are essentially useless, NHQ has provided templates of both for PAOs to use as well as have posted many example plans from regions and wings.  So, if you've got a PAO that is active, they do have something to work with. 

Capt Rivera

For our newer members:
November 2008 NEC
Live Stream Schedule

Friday, November 7
1:00PM - 5:00PM CST

Saturday, November 8
8:30AM - 11:30AM CST
1:00PM - 5:00PM CST

CLICK the following to watch live stream!
mms://civilairpatrolnhq.wmlive.internapcdn.net/live_civilairpatrolnhq_vitalstream_com_NECNov2008

Sorry this didn't get posted sooner
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on November 08, 2008, 04:02:56 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2008, 06:22:50 PM
Thanks Ricochet....

Some interesting items....

Proposal to move the command patch on airplanes from the doors to the rudder to make it more visible and be similar to what AF does -- NHQ/LG doesn't like it though.

I'm not sure I understand why the door decal was ever put there to begin with. Seems the tail was better in the first place. Maybe a two-letter identifier should be used on the tail for either wing or region identification -- wings used to be identified on CAP plane tails. Then again, I wonder how the current corporate color scheme was designed -- is the red tail for increased visibility? The blue belly?

While at West Houston mision base for Ike, I saw one of the new Arkansas Wing 182s with a nice touch: a fin stripe with 'ARKANSAS' on it in the colors of their state flag. Nice touch... now if they'd do that with Texas Wing and others...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

^All well and good until they transfer one of the planes to another wing...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

flyguync

^^^^ I was thinking that wings couldnt have their names and morale stuff on planes... Then again it may just be a MER thing.

Eeyore

They really need to use a program other than Windows Media to stream, those of us with Mac systems can't watch.

PHall

Quote from: flyguync on November 08, 2008, 10:02:09 PM
^^^^ I was thinking that wings couldnt have their names and morale stuff on planes... Then again it may just be a MER thing.

No, it's a National "thing". As in CAPM 66-1.

IceNine

Quote from: edmo1 on November 08, 2008, 10:05:56 PM
They really need to use a program other than Windows Media to stream, those of us with Mac systems can't watch.

that's cause Mac makes people want to kick the baby
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

VLC Media Player works on many different Operating Systems including Windows, linux and Mac
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

MIKE

Mike Johnston

flyguync

Does anyone have the play by play for todays activities?

badger bob

from a feeble memory

6 withdrawn by proposer
7 approved
8 approved with some modifications
9 approved modifying the wing commanders having authority with the ability to delegate to group commanders
10 committee of legal and safety to report back to May NEC
11 delayed for finance committee report. Eventually withdrawn but approved as a finace committee recommendation with additional modifications
12 missed this action
13 seemed to be a lot of discitions acted on as finance committee recommendations
14 missed this action
15 missed this action

Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

pixelwonk

Like this
Like that

JCJ

Quote from: PHall on November 08, 2008, 10:31:06 PM

The Arkansas Tail Flashes were placed by Brig. Gen. Chitwood (current CAP/CV) when he was the AR Wing CC.  They were legal and approved by the SWR/CC at that time.  Later, distinctive unit markings were disallowed because of the need to move aircraft beween wings.  The distinctive unit markings will need to be removed at the next re-paint.  But they do really look good against the red background.

PHall

Quote from: JCJ on November 09, 2008, 05:01:19 AM

The Arkansas Tail Flashes were placed by Brig. Gen. Chitwood (current CAP/CV) when he was the AR Wing CC.  They were legal and approved by the SWR/CC at that time.  Later, distinctive unit markings were disallowed because of the need to move aircraft beween wings.  The distinctive unit markings will need to be removed at the next re-paint.  But they do really look good against the red background.

And the only problem with that is the Region Commander wasn't authorised to approve them.
There is nothing in the reg authorising a Wing or Region Commander the authority to grant waivers.

arajca

Quote from: PHall on November 09, 2008, 06:23:05 AM
Quote from: JCJ on November 09, 2008, 05:01:19 AM

And the only problem with that is the Region Commander wasn't authorised to approve them.
There is nothing in the reg authorising a Wing or Region Commander the authority to grant waivers.

Like that's stopped them before, right?