Main Menu

NEC Winter Meeting

Started by sjtrupp, November 03, 2008, 07:43:42 PM

sjtrupp

Did I miss the November meeting for the NEC? 

I didn't see the email with the link to watch it and I haven't seen any posts on it, but I also can't find when the next meeting is in the minutes of the previous meetings either.

thanks,

sjt

FW

The meeting dates are 7-8 November.  Meeting should be streamed.

RiverAux

As usual, they have not posted an agenda anywhere so that members can review it and provide comments through their CoC. 

dwb

Quote from: RiverAux on November 03, 2008, 08:10:47 PMAs usual, they have not posted an agenda anywhere so that members can review it and provide comments through their CoC. 

They decided to drop the facade that the NEC cares about your opinion.  ;D

RiverAux

A "disgruntled former member" on another site has been advocating for big changes in CAP leadership.  It will be interesting to see if anything happens on that front, though since it is only the NEC probably won't. 

Ricochet13

Here's what I was able to find.

RiverAux

Thanks Ricochet....

Some interesting items....

Proposal to move the command patch on airplanes from the doors to the rudder to make it more visible and be similar to what AF does -- NHQ/LG doesn't like it though.

Revision to CAPR190-1 public affairs regarding the planning process (a monster waste of time in many cases)

More power for CAP legal officers at Wing and higher levels.

Moving damage assessment authority to Region.

Allowing commanders down to group levels to put units in their command on logistics freezes.

Might re-address the issue of Legislative officers who get quickie promotions to Lt. Col.

RiverAux

And apparently we've stopped putting out draft regulations for comment as the draft 190-1 hasn't been featured anywhere of which I am aware.  I like how the proposal says that the PA plan process has been "nationally accepted" when in fact it has never gone out to comment from the field.  I suppose again that if its discussed at the PAO Academy it has had all the review it needs....

Steve Kuddes

If anyone would like to send me comments concerning any of the Agenda items, I will be able to see them before we start discussing them Friday.  I reviewed them with my Wing commanders and have their comments which always offer me some other views.

I don't think we should make decisions for the membership without membership input.

I welcome them sent to my personal e-mail if you wish some privacy on your comments.

Steve W. Kuddes, Colonel, CAP
Commander, North Central Region

IceNine

How sad   :'(

I just got a wild hair and was half way through a letter to my wing commander asking him to bring up the fact that rarely is the membership made aware of agenda's and even more rare of the meeting minutes... then low and behold I can find no regulatory guidance showing that we are supposed to see these things.

I also can't find guidance saying that we are supposed to be allowed to review r/m/p/etc changes.

If anyone can find some hard facts I will gladly start a front on my end
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

My assessment of moving the Command Patch on Planes:  Waste of time and resources.   There are a million more pressing things on which to be spending what few dollars CAP has (whether that be national or wing dollars).  This is not one of them. 

Take those dollars and buy a camera, fund a training event, invest in a billboard, rehabilitate an old van, sponsor a cadet to an activity, build a tool, put it in bonds or a CD for a rainy day, whatever... don't spend a dollar needlessly moving decals on our planes around.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cecil DP

Regarding MG Courter being made a permenant BG. Amend the regulation to say that it becomes permenant upon being elected to the position of National Commander after having served successfully as National Vice Commander. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Quote from: IceNine on November 05, 2008, 04:38:36 AM

I just got a wild hair and was half way through a letter to my wing commander asking him to bring up the fact that rarely is the membership made aware of agenda's and even more rare of the meeting minutes... then low and behold I can find no regulatory guidance showing that we are supposed to see these things.

I also can't find guidance saying that we are supposed to be allowed to review r/m/p/etc changes.

CAPR 5-4
Quote2c. The NHQ OPR shall coordinate draft regulations, manuals or revision thereof with NHQ directorates and, when applicable, other affected agencies in accordance with established NHQ CAP procedures. When a draft regulation, manual or revision is referred to a committee, the OPR will coordinate with that committee, in addition to the appropriate NHQ and CAP-USAF directorates. The OPR will edit the draft regulation, manual or revision based on inputs received during coordination and will submit the draft regulation to the NHQ publications manager to be posted for 30 days on the NHQ website for comment by the volunteer membership. The NHQ publications manager will promptly notify the National Board, CAP-USAF and such other parties as designated by the National Commander, National Vice Commander and/or National Chief of Staff, of such posting.

PhoenixRisen

Someone's playin' a joke on us....

A CAP meeting minute document with no uniform changes on it?!

Oh my gosh!   >:D

badger bob

Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2008, 10:38:19 PM
Quote from: IceNine on November 05, 2008, 04:38:36 AM

CAPR 5-4
Quote2c. The NHQ OPR shall coordinate draft regulations, manuals or revision thereof with NHQ directorates and, when applicable, other affected agencies in accordance with established NHQ CAP procedures. When a draft regulation, manual or revision is referred to a committee, the OPR will coordinate with that committee, in addition to the appropriate NHQ and CAP-USAF directorates. The OPR will edit the draft regulation, manual or revision based on inputs received during coordination and will submit the draft regulation to the NHQ publications manager to be posted for 30 days on the NHQ website for comment by the volunteer membership. The NHQ publications manager will promptly notify the National Board, CAP-USAF and such other parties as designated by the National Commander, National Vice Commander and/or National Chief of Staff, of such posting.

The NEC and the National Board are looking at and approving policy changes. If the NEC approves moving assessment authority to the Region Commander from CAP/USAF, then the aircraft, supply, vehicle, and communications regulations will be rewritten. Draft regulations will be posted prior to implementation.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

RiverAux

At least two cameras this time! 

RiverAux

According to CAP-USAF:

kudos for hurricane work.  Praise for SWR region-level exercises.

1st CAP aircraft to get full motion video transmission (similar to Predator) should be in field in LA in LA.  Funds ready for second a/c.  Long-term initiative to get up to 20 more stationed all around the country.  1AF strongly supports and is up at NORTHCOMM.  multi-year project.

RiverAux

Notes on Nat Cdrs/EX DIR briefing:

Unfortunately we're getting yet another logo for public affairs use -- the one seen with the citizens serving communites tagline.  New mission statement and vision statement -- said too quickly for me to copy. 

Now have 1500 Aerospace Ed members.  44% increase.

Kuddes: Ongoing multi-wing mission in NCR.  Big blizzard.  SD/NB/ND.  CAP doing some flying looking for downed power lines, stranded motorists.  Airports closed, so having trouble getting in air. 

Recent mission slides -- 4 states doing fire watch.

Slightly down in overall flying hours.  But, increase in number of AF mission flying hours. 

25 wing doing AFJROTC o-flights.  CAP doing about half of all jrotc flights. 

67 middle schools in CAP-1800 cadets
k-5 program.  Now called ACE program (not Junior Cadet).  7500 students involved.  Still in testing phase. 

7% increase cadet o-rides last year, 27% increase in glider o-rides
still not spending all cadet scholarship money.

Going to be an "Organizational Effectiveness" specialty track now.  This is basically the commanders specialty track but apparently will be open for everybody.  Developing now.  Will also have an "Executive Level" for corporate officers in addition to usual 3. 

300% increase in ARCHER training. 
41% increase in NESA attendence. 600+ there last year as students, staff.

VSAF at 3 bases. 
2% increase in senior membership.  34K+ now. 

Slight increase in Ops and Maint budget (26.6m)
1.2 million increase in aircraft procurement. (7.4m)
Other procurement (vehicles) (0.9m) --said this was inadequate for needs

80% of wings on consolidated maint by end of year. 
Had 50% in accidents this year.

Starting to refurb some older aircraft with some glass-cockpit features.  Not just avionics, but everything (engine, paint, interior, etc.).

New website is made by the same company that does goarmy.com .   cap.gov will continune into the future but after Jan will just auto redirect you to new site.

Nat HQ building getting refurbed so will be in temp hq for at least 18 months starting next month.  Not being paid for by CAP.  Shouldn't affect phone lines/email.  NOC won't actually move. 

Going to put out RFP very soon to basically re-do all of NHQs e-services type software. 

RiverAux

As part of her campaign speech to get permanent BG status, MG Courter mentioned that they are making progress on getting us a mission involving pipeline safety.  No real details.

She really put her mind to the speech -- it wasn't short....

"CAP should be known for uniform changes" -- she was joking in relationship to some changes regarding IACE uniforms.  Didnt really get what she was actually talking about. 

Didn't really need NEC approval for it as she was sort of grandmothered in under the old rules.

RiverAux

While they're in Exec session discussing BoG candidates...

In reference to streaming live video from CAP planes.  The initial unit is really more of a training/test situation than an operational item.  As I understood it, the plane will transmit the video to a ground unit that is essentially the same as what is used to control Predators and that the operator there won't be able to tell whether he is working with CAP or a Predator.  They didn't say whether CAP or AF or ANG would be operating the ground unit, but I suspect not CAP.  Regarding the video equipment, I think he said it would be mounted to the aircraft.  If it has Predator-like capabilities then we should be able to take it from quite high up, which should eliminate problems with topography, altitude limiting transmission distance. 

For the hoped for 20 additional units in the future they want them to have the capability to transmit from the plane to a satellite.  Didn't go into any detail about how that would work, but I would hope we'd get a better system than SDIS.