Main Menu

Cost of PPL

Started by Rob Sherlin, October 27, 2008, 10:48:29 PM

Rob Sherlin

I started off in AFJROTC learning how to use a handheld paper flight computer, the basics and principles of flight, etc. After being sidetracked in a career of 2D and 3D animation, I decided to pursue the dream of flight again. I live in Niagara Falls, NY. and there is basically only one aviation school. Allthough the introductory flight is only $56, the quote I was given for flight time and instructor made me gasp. I looked at some other schools in Florida, and they seem to have cheaper rates (maybe the prices out here are so high due to lack of competition from other schools...I don't know). I picked up a home study course for the exams, and picked up a copy of Flight Sim 2004 (even got the Civil Air Patrol SAR add-on for grins) because I figure that's the closest I'm going to get right now to real lessons. I know CAP has further education in flight training if you allready have a PPL, but there is no program to help you get a PPL for Senior Members....any ideas on how to get a PPL without being such a cruncher on the wallet?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Flying Pig

Ahhhhhh.......the question that stands the test of time.

Flight training costs the same now as it always has........every penny you have.

I know none of that helped you.......

cap801

Having had to learn to fly on the money I saved by working minimum wage jobs, I can probably help you out with cost-effectiveness.  If you've researched all your options and all you have in your area is a single flight school, you're sort of stuck.  You might search nearby airports or see if there's a flying club that has instructors.  Anyway, the best thing you can do to make flight training cheaper is devote as much time to it as you can.  If you only fly one or two lessons a week, it's going to take more repetition and thus more flight time than if you fly every other day.  Also, make sure you mentally review each lesson to see if you can critique yourself, and study the material that you're going to cover in the next lesson.

I read somewhere that pilots average about 60 hours before they take the checkride, even though the minimum is 40.  So, the best way to save money is to make sure you're checkride ready in 40 hours.  I flew frequently during my training (sans a nine month break), and I took my checkride right at 40 hours.  But also keep in mind that flying is still expensive after you get your license.  That's something I never really thought about until I got there.

Best of luck.

Mustang

If you have to do it through a local flight school or FBO, a Private Pilot certificate will set you back between $5000-6000.  For a senior member, CAP is of no help until you've got the private ticket, and only minimally afterward until you become a mission pilot.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RickFranz

When I was working on my PPL I worked out a deal with the Aero Club, I mowed the grass and washed airplanes or whatever they needed.  But instead of getting a paycheck I got flight hours.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Climbnsink

SM can get primary training in Gliders.  But that requires a very active CAP glider operation to have any chance of finishing within one's lifetime.  Non CAP glider clubs may be cheaper than power flying(but a huge time suck)- www.ssa.org -> where to fly -> choose your state.  As SP aircraft become available.  I wonder if  folks will start getting the sport pilot license then upgrading to PPL.   Only requires 20 hours don't know how long they are taking to finish folks in the real world.  But that might be a start.   The EAA has listings of schools and instructors.  There is always the possibility[slight] of finding a one man show CFI/owner that is cheaper.  Once you get a ticket others are easier and cheaper to tack on.

Trung Si Ma

Getting your PPL will cost less today than it will next year ... or the year after that.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

DNall

Fly Army, get paid to get a commercial instrument ticket. Do the fixed wing upgrade on the way cheap with an Army CFI doing it on the side.

Flying Pig

^Hey......theres an idea!! ;D  By the way Nall.....when do you ship out?

Larry Mangum

When I was part of MAWG, a fellow senior member whow as a CFI offered to instruct me for free and all I had to pay was for aircraft time and fuel ( he owned his own plane) Perhaps you can find someone a fellow CAP'er in the Niagra Falls area for a similar deal. 

BTW, in the late 90's I attended RSC at McGuire with the Squadron Commander of the Niagra unit. I think the unit meet on the Reserve or Guard base there.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Rob Sherlin

I've also been thinking about moving to Florida (St.Petersburg/Clearwater/Tampa area). There are way more flight schools and clubs out there, and I noticed even the commercial schools are cheaper (maybe because of competition, fuel prices and taxes). Also, in an area with more flight activity, I'd probably increase my chances of maybe working out a deal with someone who has a CFI rating. I have also thought about the "sport pilot" option, but I think you would pretty much have to buy your own aircraft because I don't think I've seen anyone who charters aircraft classified as sport. Sport aircraft also seem to run quite a bit too (even if you have the space and time to build one from a kit package). I think if it comes down to something like that, I'll probably just invest in an ultralight (you can get them pretty cheap) and go that route. It may be of no use to CAP, but it will get me in the air and flying something!
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin

OOOPS!

Forgot to add...Yeah, the Niagara CAP meet at the Air Reserve base. I have to replace my ID/Drivers License before I can continue in CAP.....They absolutely will not let me on the base without it (pout).

DNall

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 28, 2008, 10:45:56 PM
^Hey......theres an idea!! ;D  By the way Nall.....when do you ship out?

April. IERW starts in May.

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on October 29, 2008, 04:05:34 AM
Forgot to add...Yeah, the Niagara CAP meet at the Air Reserve base. I have to replace my ID/Drivers License before I can continue in CAP.....They absolutely will not let me on the base without it (pout).
Small price to pay.

I would think rates are cheaper in Florida due to the level of activity. Meaning they are actively teaching at a high tempo for longer of the year based on weather, whereas the NY folks have to make their money in a more seasonal fashion.

gfolk

One other option that may or may not help. As a member of CAP, you are eligible to join an Air Force flying club. These do offer a less expensive option to flight training. I'm not sure, but you may also be eligible to join the club of the other services.

capchiro

Check out some of the flight training magazines.  There are ads in the back for flight schools.  One I saw was in Alabama.  I think it was about $4,000.00 for a month of room and guaranteed PPL.  They provided a kitchen and you could prepare your own food or eat out.  I think you do nothing but fly and study for the month or as long as it takes.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Flying Pig

Rob Sherlin

I get Flight Training magazine as a member of AOPA (it's not only for aircraft owners and pilots). I also have help from some aviation services that try to help you find the right school.
  The problem with a lot of the schools is, even though they say they have a PPL course,  they seem to send me info on their Comercial Airline courses. I keep telling them, "Look, I'm not interested in flying a 747, I'm just trying to get my PPL, then, I'll go from there" (some of the courses for CPL and Instrument ratings are not as bad as the cost to get your PPL).
  Some of my resources have kind of pointed me in the right direction as far as financing (also looking into grants I might be able to get). But, for the most part, a few of them are kind of holding off on refering me to schools, because I told them I was thinking about relocating to Florida. They asked me to get a hold of them when I get out there and get settled, and they will continue to try to find me a deal. They also agreed that flight training will probably be cheaper there, then it is where I'm at.

CASH172

The cost of training in FL is definitely going to do you better.  The availability of schools is extremely high  and competition is a driving factor.  I'm not sure if any Part 142 schools can accept someone in your position, but the minimums will be much lower.  Also, the courses can count FTD hours more than other programs.  Only downside with Part 142 is that the cost of the actual training is probably going to be higher. 

Flying Pig

I think you mean Part 141 schools, which most of my training was done at.  Part 141 follows a set course.  Loans and GI Bill benefits can usually only be used at Part 141 schools.

Most flight schools now are trying to go the way of catering to foreign students.  Thats why many are pushing you to go all the way through CFI.  The flight school in my area has a waiting list.  And its a large school that caters to Indian and Taiwanese students.  Makes for a good time on the radio!

CASH172

I didn't mean Part 141.  Part 142 is a what a lot of ATP type training centers are.  They usually have high level simulators and have highly intensified courses.  A lot do offer training from the bottom up, which means training for the PPL.  The hour requirements are significantly reduced and a lot of the hours can be counted as FTD hours.  One example is how at Embry-Riddle, the total hours required for a commercial ticket is 140 hours and 50 of that can be FTD hours.  Problem is cost may or may not be cheaper this route.  The training may take less hours, but the cost of the actual training could be more.  One obvious price advantage though, is using the FTD which will be cheaper than actual flight time.