Grass Strip landing regs?

Started by Rangercap, October 24, 2008, 12:35:01 AM

DG

A Form 5 should include a soft field take off and landing.

The best soft field I know of, for this maneuver, is a grass strip.

es_g0d

As a pilot and instructor, it bothers me that landing on grass is even an issue.  I still maintain that landing on a prepared grass airport is no more or less hazardous than landing on pavement; the challenges and considerations are simply different.  There is no additional Form 5 requirement to operating off of turf.  A grass strip is NOT necessarily a soft field, but that's for another discussion.

If grass were so hazardous, why would nearly every operation of the WWII theater be conducted from turf?  Food for thought.

The most bothersome thought is this: should you be required to make an off-airport / forced landing, chances are it won't be to pavement.  I would hate for your first landing not on pavement to be that forced landing.

Clearly too many pilots out there have not operated off of grass, and there is a natural fear of the unknown.  Once again, I encourage all pilots to find a reputable instructor and get some experience flying from grass.

Of course, if your wing's supplement to CAPR 60-1 prohibits such operations, comply.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

DG

Quote from: FW on January 27, 2009, 02:18:29 PM
Quote from: JC004 on January 08, 2009, 06:01:26 AM
That was a wing-level deal.  IDK what Col Lee says (altho I could ask him).  I don't think it was a written thing.  If it was, I never saw the memo.  If FW is around, he probably has useful insight on this.

Yes, operations on grass strips is a "wing-level deal".  As far as I know, in PAWG, glider ops take place on grass strips at the Philadelphia Glider Club.  WIWAWCC, a CAP pilot could operate corporate aircraft out of grass strips after a check flight sign off.   It may still be the same today however, I would check with the Wing/HQ first.

Colonel, we follow CAPR 60-1.