Leave of Absence for Cadets

Started by 1stLtR, October 01, 2008, 02:21:01 PM

1stLtR

Is there anything in the regulations about cadets being able to take a leave of absence?

Eclipse

I've never seen anything, nor would I see the need, officially.

While I am strongly in favor of using the "big stick" of the progression requirements, a conversation with the commander about why you need time off should be all that's necessary to separate an "inactive" cadet from an "excused absence" cadet.  The duration and reasoning would be what I would use as my barometer.

You could also request transfer to your wing's "000" squadron, which puts you in a holding mode without any attention paid to progression (in most states), as long as you pay your dues, until such time as you request transfer back to a local unit.

All of this is subjective to the commander, at some point, though, you're either in or you're out.

"That Others May Zoom"

JROB

Well from scanning CAPR 52-16 I have only found this:
QuoteAttendance. Cadets are required to participate actively in their local unit if they are to progress in the Cadet Program. Excessive, unexcused absences may be cause for termination from CAP (see CAPR 35-3, Membership Termination). Any school-related activity is considered an excused absence. Cadets are responsible for notifying the unit about school activities in advance. School-related absences do not excuse cadets from the pre-requisites needed to earn promotions.

I had to take a leave of absence for about a year to take care of some family matters I notified my Commander and I kept my membership active and when I returned I started back were I left off
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

PHall

The only "requirement" that I've ever seen for a cadet, or anybody, to take a leave of absence is just a letter to the unit asking for the leave and giving a reason for the request.

lordmonar

Ditto,

with the expection of transfering over to a 000 squadron. 

If you need time off...talk to you Commander, be it one month or a whole year.

Cetainly better then just dropping off the face of the Earth and then walzing back into the squadron six month later....expecting to be immedialy welcomed and given leadership postions and promotion opportunities.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

notaNCO forever

We have them fill out a form that just says how long the LOA will be for and why.

Flying Pig

How long are you talking?  If your 17 and talking about a 1 year leave vs. 13 asking for a 1 year leave is a big difference. Talking to your Sq Comm and your Dep for Cadets is the way to go and work something out.  If your just needing to take a couple months off for sports, school, etc. its usually just a matter of keeping your dues paid and letting your unit know where you are and that you will be coming back.

1stLtR

Ok, so is a school sport an excused absence or unexcused absence?

Eclipse

Quote from: 1stLtR on October 02, 2008, 07:42:28 PM

Depends on the commander.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I wouldn't support voluntary extra curricular activity like sports, clubs, band etc... that impact CAP commitments.  You'll have to pick between CAP and football etc...  And if you are in one of those schools that has mandatory extra curricular activity you don't have time for CAP anyway.
Mike Johnston

Ned

Quote from: MIKE on October 02, 2008, 08:17:14 PM
I wouldn't support voluntary extra curricular activity like sports, clubs, band etc... that impact CAP commitments.  You'll have to pick between CAP and football etc... 

Why?

Life -- especially while in high school and college -- is about balancing competing interests to try to find out who and what we are.

If the troop has been a successful cadet for three years and needs two or three months off for sports or whatever are you really saying you would always make them quit CAP or the competing activity?

That seems potentially short-sighted. 

As just one example, young men and women applying for the academy are far more successful if they have a variety of activities on their resume.

IOW, they are more likely to get in with a Mitchell,  a varsity sport, and student government rather than just an Earhart or Spaatz with nothing else.

And I know as the director of the Civic Leadership Academy, I relied on schools to release cadets from a week of classes so they could attend.  It seems rather petty not to return the favor and release a cadet from CAP for 4 or 5 meetings to allow them to attend a school-related activity. 

I support a commander's discretion to do the right thing for the cadet and the program.  A bright line rule like "you can never take a leave of absence for school activities" just seems counter-productive.

Ned Lee

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2008, 07:44:11 PM
Quote from: 1stLtR on October 02, 2008, 07:42:28 PM

Depends on the commander.

Go read the reg.

QuoteAny school-related activity is considered an excused absence.

1stLtR

Thank you I have read the regs numerous times and was asking opinions.

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on October 02, 2008, 08:41:29 PMGo read the reg.

QuoteAny school-related activity is considered an excused absence.

I think it's pushing it to let CAP slide for sports season(s).  JMHO.  Another case for not meeting on a school night, maybe?
Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

Wow....so its CAP 100% or nothing.  Interesting philosophy.   My son is getting ready to join CAP, but is also excelling in organized/school swimming.  As a Sq. Commander I have no issue with kids taking a leave, or scaling back on meetings to attend school sports.  These cadets are young and exploring interests and goals.  If CAP is one item on that list among others, I say go for it.  Telling a cadet that that cant be in sports if they miss a CAP meeting is a bit harsh.  When I was a cadet, I had a friend who wanted to be a SEAL. Don't know what ever happened, but I can say CAP didn't exactly offer the level of physical fitness he was looking for as a High School Junior/Senior.   So 4-5 month a year, he would miss about every other meeting. 

If your taking off for sports, I, as the Sq. Comm or Dep for Cadets would ask that you bring a letter from your coach, and if/when you win ribbons or medals, bring them in. 

Eclipse

Sports may be an excused absence from a day-to-day meeting perspective, but it is not going to relieve the progression requirements, nor a cadet's responsibilities at the home unit.

I agree with Mike, life is choice.  Contrary to the opinion of many parents these days, you can't do "everything".  The sooner kids learn about making good choices, the better.

As in everything there is a balance, if you're talking about an occasional absence in either direction, fine, but I have had situations where a cadet commander decided to take up a sport, after accepting the position, that practiced on the same night as meetings, and expected to keep his job and be effectively gone for 6 months.

Most coaches will not give us the same courtesy they expect of the occasional missed practice.

A lot of HS coaches (and even elementary school) need to be reminded about balance themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2008, 09:53:14 PMI  . . . would ask that you bring a letter from your coach.

Varsity or JV?

Flying Pig

Quote from: Ned on October 02, 2008, 09:56:39 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2008, 09:53:14 PMI  . . . would ask that you bring a letter from your coach.

Varsity or JV?

I meant a written letter, confirming your are indeed practicing. I dont think its to far fetched to have a cadet who wants to do CAP and a sport.  There are a few academy grads here and several former military members on this site.  I was a cadet from age 13-18 and managed to do school sports and promote and go to NCC 2x.  I say in moderation.  Especially for those cadets wanting academy slots.  School sports is almost a must.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2008, 09:55:37 PM
Sports may be an excused absence from a day-to-day meeting perspective, but it is not going to relieve the progression requirements, nor a cadet's responsibilities at the home unit.

Did not say it did....but you can't 2b the guy or get on to him for being in a school related sports program.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2008, 09:55:37 PMI agree with Mike, life is choice.  Contrary to the opinion of many parents these days, you can't do "everything".  The sooner kids learn about making good choices, the better.

Sports are a part of school...just like PT is a part of CAP.  If you will give a pass to a guy so he can study for his finals or take a night course (for college age cadets) you have to give the same pass for school sports.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2008, 09:55:37 PMAs in everything there is a balance, if you're talking about an occasional absence in either direction, fine, but I have had situations where a cadet commander decided to take up a sport, after accepting the position, that practiced on the same night as meetings, and expected to keep his job and be effectively gone for 6 months.

Most coaches will not give us the same courtesy they expect of the occasional missed practice.

A lot of HS coaches (and even elementary school) need to be reminded about balance themselves.

Okay...go talk to the coach...don't penalize the cadet.  No one is saying you have to give them special privileges....just that you don't penalise them.   He still has to do his 2 months TIG, tests, PT, etc.....all you are doing is giving them a little lee way on the "be active" requirement.  If Joe Football can only make 1-2 meetings during the fall AND can still find time to pass his test, PT etc....I would promote him.  If he however can't do his required SDA mentored Staff Time I would not.

Flying Pig

Not every cadet needs to be a Spaatz or Earhart to be successful or gain something from the program.  I was a cadet almost 5 years and left as a C/2Lt. (This was when we had FO's)  Could I have been a C/Col?  Maybe, but I can tell you this, I would still be where I am today and the program served its purpose, as did school sports and AFJROTC.