Uniform Issue Form

Started by NC Hokie, September 24, 2008, 08:35:47 PM

NC Hokie

Can anyone point me towards wing or squadron forms that are used to record uniform items issued to cadet and senior members?  The boss and I (supply is one of my "side" jobs) want to have a record of this information in each member's file but I'd rather adapt someone's good work than try to reinvent the wheel.  Thanks!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

notaNCO forever

My squadron has one I'll see if I can get a copy to post on here.

SarDragon

Try CAPF 38. Why use someone else's reinvention when you can use an official CAP form?  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2008, 09:33:58 PM
Try CAPF 38. Why use someone else's reinvention when you can use an official CAP form?  ;)
That isn't really ideal for recording equipment issues on the squadron level, a much simpler and user friendly form would work just as well, if not better.

Here is something I threw together.

NC Hokie

Quote from: SarDragon on September 24, 2008, 09:33:58 PM

Thanks, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.  The from/to field is useless for how I'm going to use the form and I'd really rather not have to write each and every item in by hand.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

SarDragon

You're going to keep this document in electronic form? Then you can use this - CAPF 38, in M$ Word format - which has all the blanks your form has, plus a couple more, and is an official CAP form.

Please 'splain how the From/To field differs from your intended use. Educate me.

You can use the form any way you desire, as long as you're consistent, and can explain your usage rules to the folks who look at your records at an inspection.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

I started using a form at the very end of my time as PDO a few years ago that was a new member checklist.

Not only did it have equipment, uniforms, and the like.  I also listed things like Walkthrough of WMU, input personal information into E-services/wmu, filled a CAPF 60, completed GES, etc.

This way I knew where every new and used  ;) member of the unit was.  Also eliminated the no one ever told me how, or I didn't know I had to type phrases.

Sure wish I'd copied that off my old harddrive  :'(
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

notaNCO forever

I won't be able to get you a copy of my squadrons, sorry. We have a IT guy thats overzealous on the security so it's not easy to get to.

NC Hokie

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2008, 12:58:34 AM
Please 'splain how the From/To field differs from your intended use. Educate me.

This record will go in each member's file, so the 'from' and 'to' fields are just not necessary (items will always be from the squadron and will always be to the member whose file the form is in).  I'm envisioning a single form with a list of all items likely to be issued by the squadron to a member (BDUs, AF blues, web gear, etc.) so that we can avoid double-issue and recover items if the member quits.  I'd also like to have spaces for initials when an item is issued and when it is turned back in, which the CAPF-38 fails to have.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

DC

Quote from: NCO forever on September 25, 2008, 01:34:42 AM
I won't be able to get you a copy of my squadrons, sorry. We have a IT guy thats overzealous on the security so it's not easy to get to.
Your IT guy controls access to logistical forms, what else are his mitts in? And if it's not FOUO, what's to worry about?

If he doesn't want other units using your squadron's form, he needs to get over himself and realize we're all on the same team.  :-\

Pylon

We use a Squadron Form 3 and Form 3A. 

Each individual gets a Form 3.  It goes in their personnel folder/jacket.  Everything that they borrow from the squadron gets marked down.  Uniforms, boots, insignia, books, field gear, etc.    We record what items we issued out, by whom, and leave a block to sign them back in when they return items.   It makes it very easy when a member leaves the program to simply pull their Form 3, see what items are still outstanding and request those specific items back.

However, people's personnel files aren't always right at hand when you're doling out the goods. We have a separate supply building, which is next door to but not connected to our administration buildings (where we have the offices, classrooms, etc.).  If I have 5 people coming through supply who need items, we can jot them down on a Squadron Form 3A.  Basically it's the same idea, except its a log allowing us to track items issued to multiple people.  Later on, when its convenient, the Logistics Officer transcribes items on the 3A log to the appropriate people's Form 3's in their personnel file and it gets checked off.

Both forms are attached below.  It works very well if used.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

alamrcn

Since control of unit issued uniform items are not an "inspected item" and mearely a matter of keeping track so you can get stuff back for reissue... Do whatever you find is easiest and convenient - including simply jotting it down on a legal pad. You won't have any recourse if things aren't turned back in, but I'd have the members "sign" the stuff out anyway.

Quote from: DC on September 25, 2008, 02:03:53 AM
he needs to get over himself and realize we're all on the same team.

So, what part of "IT Guy" didn't you get?  ;D

Every one of them I know is a power hungry, control freak able to assert control (and imagined authority) over colleagues at whim... It's Liquid Heat in your jock strap, ala Revenge of the Nerds.

Right now at one of my jobs, I'm being forced by another IT Guy to remember a weekly-changing password that requires at least one number and one symbol, and can't have been used the last ten password changes. I'll bet the IT Guy has used the same password since DOS 5.0!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

IceNine

No recourse?!?  You absolutely do.  Make sure that the parents sign something ensuring that they know anything issued needs to be returned.  Put in there that there are 2 options 1) return the equipment in similar condition 2) pay for replacement.

Do what you can to get the equipment back includingg phone calls, emails, registered letters, and threaten involvement of PD, If none of that works Actually call the PD they have been very instrumental in retrieving equipment of value to us in the past.  I wouldn't get them involved for a pair of surplus bdu's but for field gear, or lots of uniform stuff, absolutely.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

notaNCO forever

Your IT guy controls access to logistical forms, what else are his mitts in? And if it's not FOUO, what's to worry about?

If he doesn't want other units using your squadron's form, he needs to get over himself and realize we're all on the same team.  :-\

It's on the server at my squadron so I have to go there, have the logistics officer log me on, and save the file to a disk to bring home and post. He, for some reason, thinks terrorists are going to try to hack in and steal all are super important top secret files. I think it's all kind of stupid along with everyone else at my squadron.

DC

^It is probably within your squadron commander's power to tell him to stop being such a paranoid PITA...

Because that is insane.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCO forever on September 25, 2008, 03:45:39 PM

It's on the server at my squadron so I have to go there, have the logistics officer log me on, and save the file to a disk to bring home and post. He, for some reason, thinks terrorists are going to try to hack in and steal all are super important top secret files. I think it's all kind of stupid along with everyone else at my squadron.

AHHH! OPSEC OPSEC!  People will steal our uniform issue forms!

IT is a support function.  Your IT officer is not being very supportive...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PWK-GT

FWIW, I use a CAPF 111 for all expendable item issues, like uni's and gear. When said items are returned to supply, the LGS or myself initial and date the return in the right border.... next to the appropriate line. I also have the issuee sign for the items (w/ date) in the appropriate box.

YMMV....
"Is it Friday yet"

NC Hokie

I decided to bite the bullet and make my own uniform issue form after not finding what I was looking for here.  Since you were all kind enough to offer your assistance I figured that I ought to repay that kindness by offering my form for others to use.

I don't have attachment posting privileges yet so I've asked Mike to attach the form for me.  Check back a little bit later on if it's not available below.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy