Main Menu

Mobile Comm Kits

Started by IceNine, September 09, 2008, 04:59:33 AM

IceNine

I am starting a major Communications renovation in my group starting from the ground up, and I want to chronicle my experience and also solicit advice.

The Goals-
1) Create 2 strategically place Ground Team Communications (Go Kits)
2) Create 1 Grab and Go VHF Base Kit
3) Create 1 Grab and Go HF Base kit
4) Provide Several options for extended power

The Parameters-
1) The Kits should be Power Self supportive on power for 6+ hours
2) Power backups should provide up to 7 days operation divided between generator, UPS, and battery
3) The kits should be deployable once on-scene within 1 hour (including Antenna's)
4) The kits should be sturdy enough to handle aircraft or ground transport for long periods
5) The kits should be "turn key" and simple enough that any Communicator can operate

The Start-
For the ground team kits I ordered several Military 25mm Ammo Cans, these cases are indestructible, waterproof, and have doors on both ends to allow for ventilation.  I will mount 1 AGM battery in each kit, to allow for self sufficient operation.  Each one will carry 1 VHF Mobile radio (EF Johnson).  My plan is to fashion a piece of plexiglass in the back to mount antenna connectors, power connectors and a small CPU fan.

For the VHF Kit, I have contacted the local radio shop, and Astron Corp to attempt to get a deal on a SRM-25-2 (a rackmount unit with 2 switching power supplies), a 6-8 unit SKB Shock mount case, and I am still working on power (I am thinking AGM batteries again).  This will house 2 EFJ's, and I am looking for headset/Mic Combo for these 2.

For the HF Kit, I asked the radio shop, and astron for a RM-35M-BB (rackmount power supply), I will mount a Micom 2 in there.  I will use a 8 unit SKB case (with wheels) and a 4 fan unit in the back.  The intention is to use a battery mounted inside the case depending on weight, otherwise I will fashion another case with power for this unit.

The considerations that I have been battling are antenna's (current plan is to make a self supporting J-pole for the VHF kits, and use a pushup pole with a spreader for the 2 antennas on the top.

For the HF I am still looking (suggestions). and mast will be based off of type of antenna.

Power Options-

I am soliciting for a generator from DRMO, if not I will look for a local donation.
I have been considering building a battery pack out of an old military air transport case that I have, and setting it up for battery tender type charger and solar panels.  I have also considered a Jumpstart pack.  So I am open to suggestion here as well.

This is just a start, I have the ammo cases and most of the radios, but have not committed to any other material at this point.  So if you have suggestions let me know.  I am also looking for decent suppliers that may provide a discount for various things.

I will lay this out as time marches on.  I may also make a website later (if I get real frisky)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

Each wing recently received at least four tactical mast kits. See if one of these is available, make a pulley set up and a ground plane kit for the top and you have a 40' set up. VHF antenna on the ground plane, inverted V dipole antenna for the HF. The HF should come with a wire dipole antenna. You provide the rope (Wal-mart $2.99) for the HF. The kit contains the guying equipment as well.

SarDragon

Sounds like a plan.

There are power supplies available as part of the VHF base station sets. Check with your wing folks to see if any are available.

Be advised that the EFJs draw 13 amps when transmitting. You'll need a pretty hefty battery setup to sustain heavy usage. Solar cells to support that load are not cheap, either.

The fan - use the biggest 12V computer fan you can find, or two smaller ones, or mount the radio so the heat sink hangs out the back. They get a bit warm with heavy usage, and you don't want to fry one.

[edit - added missing word (fan)]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

For the HF I was considering www.buddipole.com  However I am very inexperienced when it comes to HF operations

For the VHF I was looking at doing a self supporting j-pole initially, and then working up from there.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

Sounds like you are well on your way with your go kits.  The buddy pole is an excellent emergency comm antenna.  It is a little pricey though.  Look at a yo-yo style antenna they are cheap, easy to carry, and easy to adjust. 

Here is a picture of a go kit that our crew recently built. 

The kit is basically a hard sided tool box.  The two VHF radios are mounted to the inside top of the case while the power supply is mounted to the bottom. the coil of wire contains two 50 foot lengths of RG8X coat and a wire J-pole antenna.  We marry this kit up wth two fiberglass croppie fishing poles.  These poles are light weight and colapse down very small.  When deployed they are 12-15 feet long.  We simply tape the Jpole gets taped to the pole,and the entire thing gets bungeed to a support. 

You can be on the air in about 5 minutes.

RRLE

Some ideas on Comm Go Kits from the ARRL:

Antenna Go-kits

The ARRL Letter Vol. 25, No. 09 March 3, 2006: ARRL HAM AID "GEAR READY TO GO" AWAITS NEXT DISASTER

QuoteSo far, Abery says, there's an HF Kit, a VHF/UHF Kit, a Handheld Transceiver Kit and a Support Kit--seven of each, and more on the way.

The HF Kit contains a 100-W HF transceiver, a microphone and a power supply. The VHF/UHF Kit includes a dualband mobile transceiver, power supply, headset, 10 handheld transceivers and a supply of alkaline batteries. In the Handheld Transceiver Kit are eight dualband handheld transceivers and antennas plus a stock of extra batteries. The Support Kit includes a length of BuryFlex 213 coaxial cable, rope, 15-foot jumper cables with battery clamps at one end and an Anderson Powerpole on the other. The kit includes various fittings and adapters to connect to the power distribution unit and to make RF feed line connections. All kits contain any necessary manuals. Packed in a separate container, appropriate antennas and antenna accessories will accompany a given kit.

isuhawkeye

IceNine

I know it's been a while but this process has been way too slow.

I have procured 3 EFJ mobiles for my kits, as well as 3 Astron Power Supplies.

I had been talking with my wing DC and decided to steal one of his idea's for my mobile kit.  I am using a 25mm plastic ammo can (heavy duty plastic, and waterproof) for the housing for the radios only.  They will be battery powered with the option of adding a power supply.

I am using a 12v 7ah AGM battery and a samlex battery backup charging unit

I procured one of the tactical mast kits from wing HQ, and an ARX-2B "ringo" antenna from Cushcraft for that  mast.

And Courtesy of Eclipse's footwork
I also ordered a 10 ft light tripod

I was also issued aCelwave BA1012-0

My intention with what I have currently is to make 3 VHF Mobile Jump kits that are all self-powered, waterproof, and modular.

I am looking for ways to mount 2 antenna's on the tactical mast the best option I've seen thus far is to mount one on top and one to the side using a jaw type clamp mount (can't find the one I was looking at)

I am also looking into buying a couple of switching power supplies to mount in one of these cases, because of weight and the ability to put 2 of them in one case.

I will post pictures as things start to come together, I am still waiting on about 4 orders right now.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

As for HF I have a few things brewing.  As I mentioned above the idea is that every piece of equipment I have is quickly, efficently, and most importantly EASILY transportable without much work or thinking.

I have spoke to a few people near the local DRMO and we are Finger crossed going to be acquiring somewhere between 10-20 military grade shock resistant rack mount cases.

If this happens all will be right with the world.  I will need to order a 50 Amp rackmount power supply (anyone have a source for a Switching 50 amp rackmount?)

I need a new tuner for the hf anyway, and then I will simply buy a plate to mount the Micom II on.

I have been working with my local computer parts shop and they are willing to donate up to $250 is parts at cost.  I will lean on them for things like fans, rackmount lighting and such.

I have also been schmoozing the guy that owns the local contractor supply and if all works out as planned we will be acquiring a new Honda Ultra Quiet 3000 watt generator.

I think I'm going to use a G5RV antenna for the HF rig, and have cases to set up the antenna kits similar to the link listed above from ARRL.

All in all I think things are coming together quite nicely, now to find a camper to set all this up in so I don't have to run out of tents  ;)

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Here is the entire setup minus the bulkmount N Connector and powerpole.  The battery provides about 7 hours on a single charge and the black box that the battery is wired to is a battery backup charger.  I simply plug into a powersupply and the battery will charge while I use the radio.

The first picture shows the back of the radio, battery and charging circuit.

The second is obviously the front of the radio

The third is a close-up of the charging circuit

The fourth is simply the battery.

I am using a J-pole with this for the moment.  I am going to be using a NMO mobile antenna that I have after the mount gets here.

I have also ordered a 10 ft tripod that will make for very quick setup.  And I have a Celwave (Shakespeare) antenna that will go on top of my 40 ft tactical mast.

Once I use this one for a while I will build at least one more.  I want to take some time and figure out the glitches in this one first.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

IceNine

Second round.  I have to appologize I was entirely unaware how cheap and crummy my camera is.  It doesn't have stabilization so you get what you see.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CAP.is.1337

Looks good!

Here's some more inspiration. It's not mine, but I wish it was!
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/ham/RACES-box.html

One of those with an EFJ and 817 would be awesome as an all-in-one go-box!
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

SKYKING607

CAWG Career Captain

Al Sayre

Are they narrowband compliant? 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

♠SARKID♠

The lunch box is a yes, don't know about the others\.

SKYKING607

Yes...if a narrowband radio was installed in it!   Radio is selected by the customer.
CAWG Career Captain

SKYKING607

Here's an amplifier that will allow us to install any mobile radio(s) we desire.  Radios displayed I believe are not compliant but only to illustrate the installation.

http://www.repeatergear.com/maxon.html
CAWG Career Captain

SKYKING607

The MAXON "package" shown uses their radios.   It has been used for transportable use with Kenwood, Icom, and Motorola Spectra radios installed in it.   While I do not have a photo of them, I have seen them in use here in California with some Police/Fire Departments.
CAWG Career Captain

SKYKING607

Same kind of installation using HF rig from Motorola:  (Should you have the $$$)

http://www.mobat-usa.com/brochure/micom_rm500r.pdf
CAWG Career Captain

sardak

Here are pictures of a base station and repeater that a member of our SAR team builds. All run on 12 VDC or 110 VAC.

http://www.m2ei.com/radio/base_station.jpg
http://www.m2ei.com/radio/repeater.jpg
http://www.m2ei.com/radio/repeater_3-4.jpg

He uses Icoms and has built them in UHF and VHF versions (no crossband). Some of the repeaters have been built with a link capability. The repeater box contains the interface, power supply and duplexer. The only connections that need to be made are the repeater antenna and the input power.

The repeater antenna connector can be seen on the back of the unit at top center. To convert from repeater to one or two independent radios, the two patch cables are disconnected and separate antennas are connected to the appropriate connectors.

Mike

desertengineer1

For HF, each wing should have (average) two MICOM-3 RDP's.  Those radios have everything you need, including a 60' tactical long wire antenna, to get set up within 15 minutes.

RedFox24

Icenice

I did not read all the post so forgive me if this have been mentioned. 

For the HF have you considered using a Hamstick Dipole?  Much cheaper than the Buddipole.  I have set one up and used it on a mission here in IL.  Was able to check into Dupage from here.  Was very weak but readable.   Dipole worked 10X better,  but a lot of places there might not be a place to hang one. 

I purchased the dipole adapter and two 80mtr hamsticks at a hamfest for less than $30, then made two stingers out of brass welding rods cut to the primary frequency.  Maybe had $35 in the antenna when done.

Just a thought.
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

blackrain

Sorry to get a little off topic but I have a VXA-220 aviation handheld with David Clark headset, PTT switch and Y adapter. I'm looking into getting into ham radio with a Yaseu FT-60 handheld. Can I use this headset and the listed accessories with the FT-60? I.E. will the Y adapter work with the
FT-60 and will the headset impedance match? If not is their a mod that will make it work? Thanks
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

IceNine

Quote from: RedFox24 on January 23, 2009, 02:59:17 PM
Icenice

I did not read all the post so forgive me if this have been mentioned. 

For the HF have you considered using a Hamstick Dipole?  Much cheaper than the Buddipole.  I have set one up and used it on a mission here in IL.  Was able to check into Dupage from here.  Was very weak but readable.   Dipole worked 10X better,  but a lot of places there might not be a place to hang one. 

I purchased the dipole adapter and two 80mtr hamsticks at a hamfest for less than $30, then made two stingers out of brass welding rods cut to the primary frequency.  Maybe had $35 in the antenna when done.

Just a thought.

I keep looking at the Hamstick and everyone keeps saying to buy the 80mtr one, but all I see on the site is 75.  Advice?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RedFox24

Buy the 75 mtr..  I apologize, I was making the assumption that everyone knows the 75/80mtr bands are together.  Most hams refer to the 75 mtr portion as 80 mtrs I guess because it is easier to say 80 than 75?  Don't know.......

Anyway buy the 75 mtr hamsticks.............  Feel free to PM me if you need help

Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.