Main Menu

SAR Velcro Patches

Started by Former_C/LTC, September 04, 2008, 12:43:49 AM

Former_C/LTC

I'm working on some velcro attachment type signs, preferably made of scotchlight that are 4 x 8 or 6 x 12 inches, one would be just "SEARCH/RESCUE" with some smaller ones that just say "SAR".  My idea is for the larger one to be attached on the back of my MOLLE suspenders and two smaller ones on the front of the suspenders or on the front of my pouches which have velcro already attached. 

Would also like a plastic case the size of the 101 card that I could velcro to the front of my suspenders as well.  I hate dangling ID card cases that get caught on door frames or out in the field. 

Does anyone have a supplier that can do the work in scotchlight?  Just have them do the right sized patch and I'll attach the correct velcro, I've already got some vendors that will sell me the right quantities.

Richard J Levitt, Lt Col, CAP
  NER/CT011

RiverAux

Why is it needed?  If you're on a SAR mission, you know it and the people who asked you to be there (if it is a multi-agency misison) know it already.   

I think putting that stuff on your gear might be a step too far.  CAP doesn't have a whole lot of strict guidance on what field gear is supposed to look like, but but when you start putting labels like that around, it can lead to a little bit of confusion.  Not saying it violates a regulation (that I'm aware of).  But, maybe there should be some guidance on stuff like that. 

As to the 101 card on the suspenders, I don't see the point of that.  The 101 card is only going to be shown at check in for the most part, so its not like you need easy visual access to it.  Your name will be on your shirt, so whats the point? 

IceNine

Why does it matter to you how/where/if he wants to wear his 101? 

And what is the "issue" with wearing a generic reflective title like SAR on your field gear.  If nothing else it makes you more visible to the people you are looking for.

Check out www.galls.com for the reflective stuff, I think they have some already made up that will do what you are looking for.

And for the 101.  www.rangerjoes.com  has a bunch of them, or www.opsgear.com does too.  If you want molle that is
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

FlyingTerp

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on September 04, 2008, 12:57:40 AM
As to the 101 card on the suspenders, I don't see the point of that.  The 101 card is only going to be shown at check in for the most part, so its not like you need easy visual access to it.  Your name will be on your shirt, so whats the point? 

Last I checked the regs, you are required to display your 101 card at all times during ES training or missions.

And regs or no, this is SOP for many states.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2008, 01:45:23 AM

Last I checked the regs, you are required to display your 101 card at all times during ES training or missions.

Don't recall ever seeing that reg.  You have to have it on you, but thats it as best I recall.  Have seen it done by a few people though.  However, if you're going to be wearing badges, according to the NIMS/ICS folks it should be those describing what your current position is in that mission, not all that you're qualified for. 

_

SJFedor

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2008, 01:45:23 AM

Reg cite please?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Al Sayre

You'll notice that I have my 101 card in a hanging pouch in the photo I recently posted.  It's not any CAP reg that I'm aware of that requires it, but for access to the state EOC you need to have some form of photo ID from your agency that you can wear on your clothing.  The 101 card fits the bill... 

As an aside, if you are going to go to the trouble to laminate a 101 card to carry in your wallet or wear, spend a dollar at the local dollar store and by a pack of photo paper to print the 101 card on, and then trim it properly.  It looks much more professional than a wrinkled piece of paper that you printed 6 months ago and have carried around in your wallet ever since...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Former_C/LTC

Anyone who has particpated with other agencies, especially with homeland security or state level emergency operations should know by know we are not well known or in some cases just plain shunned as unprofessional or "flying boy scouts".  So, the whole reason for the 101 card holders and distinctive scotchlight identifying panels while not specifically mentioned in CAPM 39-1 should be added to provide a clear method of identification while working with multiple agencies.  I don't know about some states but here in CT every single agency wears some form of uniform similiar to BDU's or some other form of distinctive identification panels on the front and back of their uniforms.  Enough said.

Richard J Levitt, Lt Col, CAP