Main Menu

EF Johnson

Started by davidsinn, August 27, 2008, 10:56:49 PM

IceNine

Still not sold.  The CTCSS may be programmed by name of the repeater.  But under all of that is quite simply the CTCSS and freq's.

Make the sheet with the Designators for the CTCSS associated with the programming you have.  IF, the PL for the local area repeater is not available, THEN, use PC. 

Not taking the time to learn what you have does not dictate necessity, for use of the universal tone. 

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JoeTomasone

Not only that, but you can't always count on the repeater actually accepting the Universal tone.  I know of a few repeaters that do not respond to it.

Further, not all repeaters OUTPUT the proper tones - so if your radio is programmed for PL decode, you won't be able to hear it ever if you can work it - unless you have a monitor button and plan on wearing it out.

Whenever I travel around the Wing, I check the local repeaters and report to the Wing/DC any discrepancies noted.   It's a good habit for us Comm folks to get into.   The universal tone so rarely gets used that if it's not working, it could go unnoticed - until it's needed.

BigMojo

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 29, 2008, 05:35:33 AM

Not only that, but you can't always count on the repeater actually accepting the Universal tone.  I know of a few repeaters that do not respond to it.

Further, not all repeaters OUTPUT the proper tones - so if your radio is programmed for PL decode, you won't be able to hear it ever if you can work it - unless you have a monitor button and plan on wearing it out.

Whenever I travel around the Wing, I check the local repeaters and report to the Wing/DC any discrepancies noted.   It's a good habit for us Comm folks to get into.   The universal tone so rarely gets used that if it's not working, it could go unnoticed - until it's needed.

[whistling quietly to myself]

Now I just wonder when Miami will get theirs back up (with correct tones)....
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

davidsinn

Update on the PL tones. I was messing with it last night and recording the setup into a spread sheet. It has 32 tones(2 Pri banks x 16 channels)(Also the same tones are repeated on the same channel for the 2 secondary banks) programed in. My wing only has 9-10 repeaters. When I select a tone it shows me the freq. Are there only 32 PL tones in use? I don't understand the letter designations(V1,PC, etc) you guys are tossing out? Are those in the FOUO comm reg?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Ricochet13

Quote from: davidsinn on August 29, 2008, 02:29:12 PM
I don't understand the letter designations(V1,PC, etc) you guys are tossing out? Are those in the FOUO comm reg?

Check with your squadron communications officer for an explanation of the letter designations.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Ricochet13 on August 29, 2008, 04:37:53 PM
I don't understand the letter designations(V1,PC, etc) you guys are tossing out? Are those in the FOUO comm reg?

Check with your squadron communications officer for an explanation of the letter designations.

Or login to the NTC site (password-protected for CAP members only): https://ntc.cap.af.mil and look under the Communications Downloads for the VHF Designator list.

davidsinn

Useless. Our unit has only existed for 2 years and we've only had radios for a few months so he's inexperienced like the rest of the squadron.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arajca

Read the CAPR 100 series of regs. You'll find all the information (except the actual frequencies) in there. I strongly recommend your unit DC read them as well, esp 100-2 which deals with equipment management.

Ricochet13

Quote from: davidsinn on August 29, 2008, 06:42:28 PM

Useless. Our unit has only existed for 2 years and we've only had radios for a few months so he's inexperienced like the rest of the squadron.

So a good excuse for your communications officer and you to work together.  That's part of his function so give him a chance to learn too.   ;D

BTW. . . my squadron's been rebuilding over the past year.  There have been similar questions regarding frequencies and designators.  Good excuse to do some joint learning.