Main Menu

Uniform Sources

Started by stratoflyer, August 20, 2008, 05:39:22 PM

stratoflyer

There are plenty of places to get used uniforms. There are many to get new items--that is until you are looking for blues. I've been searching for blues shirt and trousers new and have been stumped but came across this:

http://catalog.lighthouseuniform.com/coastguard/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=576

It's a coast guard supplier. Apparently DCPS blues uniforms are on massive backorder as Vanguard, Hock, and AAFES are depleted.

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

jimmydeanno

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the CG blues pants have a triangle shaped flap that covers the back pocket slit as opposed to the button loop.  They might not be the same pants.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 20, 2008, 06:01:17 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC the CG blues pants have a triangle shaped flap that covers the back pocket slit as opposed to the button loop.  They might not be the same pants.

Nope, same style as the USAF trou... though the shade and weave is different.  The poly/wool serge is also heavier and a little itchy feeling compared to 1620s.

I've heard that Lighthouse actually makes their own stuff for SDB, Dinner Dress etc, and I've also heard about issues with quality.  I get my Auxie stuff from UDC.
Mike Johnston

stratoflyer

I knew it was too good to be true. I called the Hock today and they got a shipment of blues after 3 weeks, and wha' da' ya' know it? nothing in my size!

Definitely going to stick with the grey's for a while longer.

IceNine

Did you tell tom ahead of time what you needed? 

Do you wear some odd size?  he is usually very good about keeping normal sizes in stock.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

stratoflyer

Well, I ordered these items 7 weeks ago! And I've called and spoken to a few people. One time they even sent me a long sleeve shirt after the shirt I ordered was already on backorder!

I'm looking for size 15 1/2 shirt and size 38 trousers. I don't think those are odd-ball sizes. They told me today they got 15 size shirt, but no trousers.

I know they're good folks over at the Hock. My beef is with DCPS. I think they're behind!

Shoot, at least I got my BDU's from a surplus store. Now for the stuff from Vanguard to get here.

MIKE

Why aren't you headed to your friendly neighborhood AAFES MCSS?
Mike Johnston

Timothy

^ That is my plan; I just need to set aside the time to drive the 30 miles up to L.A. AFB or over to March ARB. Anyone know what the pricing is for a set of blues? Flight cap, ss shirt, trousers?
Long Beach Squadron 150
PCR-CA-343

jimmydeanno

According to AAFES.com

Blues SS Shirt: $11.60
Blues Trousers (Polyester): $39.95
Flight Cap: $12.95
Belt: $3.55 w/ buckle, elastic
Corfram Blues Shoes (Capps): $50.95
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

While you're at it.
What does aafes say pricing is for field grade service cap's?

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

Quote from: IceNine on August 21, 2008, 06:06:25 PM
While you're at it.
What does aafes say pricing is for field grade service cap's?

General Grade: $55.95
Field Grade service Cap: $52.95
Company Grade: $38.95

davidsinn

I'm having the same problem with an out of stock blue shirt.

Quote from: MIKE on August 21, 2008, 02:56:37 PM
Why aren't you headed to your friendly neighborhood AAFES MCSS?

Because the only one in my whole state is smaller than a convenience store. The next nearest airbase would be well over a hundred miles away. I'm kind of screwed. I don't understand why they can't set us up with limited access to the online system. It would be far easier to curb abuses of our privileges there than at a brick and mortar location
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

stratoflyer

I went down to the AAFES at Homestead ARB which quite a drive, and wha'da'ya know it, out of stock on the blues items in my size!

DNall

^ yeah call in advance.

You understand you CAN mail order things from AAFES, you just can't access the website. You can call for a catalog, then go thru an acct setup process over the phone & after that you can call/fax/email orders very easily. I know it's the stoneage method compared to the website, but it's probably better than driving 100 miles. There's an old post around here somewhere that explains the exact process.

If you want to check items numbers/prices, a lot of people here can access the website for you. Hell, I'll order stuff & have it shipped direct to you if you want. You have to check that they have the items available as well though. I believe for the most part they ship direct from the manufacture.

stratoflyer

QuoteAAFES, or your local on-base military clothing sales, for service dress and related items.
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4960&p=109877&hilit=AAFES#p109877

That was the post you were referring to. Yeah, saw that the day after I went down there. Look, I'll just wait it out and if it takes to long, I might consider the offer. Thanks.

I found some shirts on ebay but they got the rank still on the sleeves. Thought that if taken off, would be visible still somehow. Any ideas on that?

IceNine

I had a few shirts like that, Got them for free.

Even having the professionally removed doesn't work, they still look like fecal matter

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: IceNine on August 22, 2008, 06:12:51 AM
I had a few shirts like that, Got them for free.

Even having the professionally removed doesn't work, they still look like fecal matter

Ditto with the wing patches - at least two of my shirts became "under sweater onlies"...   :'(

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

Roger, no used shirts from ebay.

DNall

Quote from: stratoflyer on August 22, 2008, 05:18:52 AM
I found some shirts on ebay but they got the rank still on the sleeves. Thought that if taken off, would be visible still somehow. Any ideas on that?

yeah I wouldn't advise that. You can pull it off (pardon the pun) with service coats but not so much with shirts. You might find some used officer ones that wouldn't have had rank on. You can also look into base thrift shops for used uniform items. That's a little more hit & miss to get what you need, but it's great prices. That'd be another call in advance thing.